studio pics--cc needed

tambolatambola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited December 17, 2008 in People
I must confess first that I am horrified to post here. I rarely do, but hope to be brave more often. I would appreciate any cc on everything. I want to learn all that i can!
p375800782-3.jpg
p238595253-3.jpg
p175995708-3.jpg
p230486699-3.jpg
p321665249-3.jpg

Thanks so much!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    tambola wrote:
    I must confess first that I am horrified to post here. I rarely do, but hope to be brave more often. I would appreciate any cc on everything. I want to learn all that i can!
    Thanks so much!

Here you go :-)
    • thumb.gif simple yet decent light
    • thumb.gif good variety of shooting angles, and correct ones at that
    • thumb.gif nice choice of backdrops
    • thumb.gif good separation from the background
    • rolleyes1.gif facial expression stays mostly the same
    • rolleyes1.gif focal length is too wide OR shooting distance is too close. Headshots are better taken from afar
    • :cry thick black frame really spoils the impression
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • tambolatambola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    yes, this does help! first thing I am going to do is remove the black border.
    next time: longer focal length on headshots, work on expressions having more variety, and I am interested in better and more interesting lighting as well.
    thanks so much!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nik's already done most of the heavy lifting on the C&C here. Let me add a couple of smaller issues that I see:
    • Watch the cutting off of the joints. Prime example: #5
    • #3 - posture. The arms, her back, and the angle of the belt(?) do nothing flattering for her.
    • #4 - Again with the posture. In a portrait of this sort, the posture is key.
    Now that you are all bloody and bruised, here's some good stuff:
    • Simple and effective lighting. I love the soft light and the soft shadows you have in these photos. That is very difficult to achieve.
    • There's a "rule" - if it bends, bend it. You've done that and, to my eyes, done it well. I really like the hands/face combination in #5. In addition, in #5, she is not leaning on her hands and, thus, distorting her face.
    • #1 - though she is leaning on her arm, she is not supporting her weight by letting her shoulder collapse under that weight - making for a very comfortable and relaxed looking portrait.
    Like Nik, I hope that helps some.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I can't comment on the technique since I'm only just starting to learn about this myself (and thus soaking up the helpful info in the responses you've had!), but I can say "WELCOME"! You won't find a nicer group of photographers on the net, and this community is populated by some of the most constructive teachers around who are spectacularly generous with their time and expertise (a couple of whom have already already replied to your post :D)
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Here you go :-)
    • thumb.gif simple yet decent light
    • thumb.gif good variety of shooting angles, and correct ones at that
    • thumb.gif nice choice of backdrops
    • thumb.gif good separation from the background
    • rolleyes1.gif facial expression stays mostly the same
    • rolleyes1.gif focal length is too wide OR shooting distance is too close. Headshots are better taken from afar
    • :cry thick black frame really spoils the impression
    HTH

how far should you away should you be for headshots?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    It really depends, but 6 ft is a good starting point. Move further away if you have longer lens and enough space. My best portraits were taken with 100mm and 70-200 at 200mm.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    Consider that in the 35mm days, 85mm - 105mm was considered a good portrait lens. So, given your 1.5 crop factor, you would be wanting to shoot at somewhere between 50mm and 70mm. Pick your focal length and fill your viewfinder - that'll control how far you need to be from your subject. Remember, the longer focal lengths will cause less distortion in your subject.
    edited December 17, 2008
    Nik's already done most of the heavy lifting on the C&C here. Let me add a couple of smaller issues that I see:
    • Watch the cutting off of the joints. Prime example: #5
    • #3 - posture. The arms, her back, and the angle of the belt(?) do nothing flattering for her.
    • #4 - Again with the posture. In a portrait of this sort, the posture is key.
    Now that you are all bloody and bruised, here's some good stuff:
    • Simple and effective lighting. I love the soft light and the soft shadows you have in these photos. That is very difficult to achieve.
    • There's a "rule" - if it bends, bend it. You've done that and, to my eyes, done it well. I really like the hands/face combination in #5. In addition, in #5, she is not leaning on her hands and, thus, distorting her face.
    • #1 - though she is leaning on her arm, she is not supporting her weight by letting her shoulder collapse under that weight - making for a very comfortable and relaxed looking portrait.
    Like Nik, I hope that helps some.

Oh, it does help! Thank you very much! I really appreciate your comments, it truly is a help! :)
    I need to go back to #5 and crop differently...i know the joint thing, I am not sure what possessed me to crop like that...ne_nau.gif

Unfortunately the belt was actually part of the dress and not even adjustable. I tried to avoid full length poses but it wasn't completely possible to do only head and shoulders. Maybe a different position would have worked better?

thank you again!
    edited December 17, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I can't comment on the technique since I'm only just starting to learn about this myself (and thus soaking up the helpful info in the responses you've had!), but I can say "WELCOME"! You won't find a nicer group of photographers on the net, and this community is populated by some of the most constructive teachers around who are spectacularly generous with their time and expertise (a couple of whom have already already replied to your post :D)

thank you! I can see that what you say is true, everyone here seems so nice and yes, generous with their time and help. I feel fortunate to have received the comments I have. I appreciate it tremendously!
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    And personally I think a hair light would help a little here too.

Also, just keep in mind, as a general rule "headshots" generally mean photos for actor portfolios -- and they're usually lit with a reflector only.

I'd characterize your photos as portraits. I know this seems minor, but the more you get into photography, the more you'll run across these terms and never hurts to be on the same page as the industry.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Also, just keep in mind, as a general rule "headshots" generally mean photos for actor portfolios -- and they're usually lit with a reflector only.

If I can put my "professional opera singer" hat on for a moment and expand on your definition: I'd say headshots are for ANY performers' portfolios (I have 'em, and so do most musicians instrumental or vocal) BUT... they are not *only* reflector lit. The fashion in actor shots currently is natural light - and the style is sloowwwwlly crossing over into classical musicians (who are always about 5 years behind it seems) - but there are plenty of studio lit headshots out there, particularly among classical musicians eg examples on this page (CAMI is one of the biggest classical music artists agencies in the world) Also note how many classical musicians are still in BW (my own included, I'm sorry to say - it is SO time for a new headshot for me, but haven't managed to get them done yet!)

Anyway, agree 100% headshots and portraits aren't the same, although the distinction often isn't clear to those outside the performing arts world. Glad you mentioned it, dogwood!