Kids out of school + iced out of work = chance to practice!

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited December 18, 2008 in People
So here in NW Oregon we've been having fun with snow for the last few days. The kids have been out of school all week because of it. I've also been "working" from home to stay off the icy roads and needed a break from email so I grabbed my oldest daughter and forced her to stand outside in the 22 degree weather while I practiced.

I really wanted to try out some reflectors but Santa hasn't delivered them yet and in my haste did not grab my flash to practice with any fill. Oh well...

Seeing what people like jeffreaux2, elaine, and scott_q are doing sure makes me want to get better but I realize that I have a long way to go...

All of these are in our backyard in late afternoon sunlight that is filtered through the branches of a cherry tree that is above her. That's what is causing all of the shadows on the fence. The filtered sunlight was pretty harsh so I converted to a BW split-tone to see if that would help. This was fun and a good learning experience but shooting in 22 degree weather is not too fun for your subject!

438260000_K8BMN-L.jpg

438259979_L7sPg-L.jpg

438259921_PUBhz-L.jpg

438260056_Yz2yq-L.jpg

438260023_nLMb3-L.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Mike,
    I'm in NW Oregon too, but I have been at work while my kids are at home having fun!
    It looks like her smile is forced. I like the sepia. I think #3 is my favorite. Keep shooting and posting.
    Glynn
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Glynn. Next time we try this I will try to get her to relax her "smile" to make it look a little more natural.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Mike!

Your daughter is lovely, and I predict you may be as bald as my daughters have made me in a few more years.

As for the photos, you have already discovered that the contrasty open sunlight is a tough shoot. I am very careful if I shoot in the sun, but really prefer shade or overcast daylight.

Either way, despite shooting outdoors, I NEVER shoot without a flash at my disposal. I MAY decide not to use it on a shot here and there, but I treat it as a part of the camera. Camera, lense, flash. Thats all you really need! Those reflectors will be fun too though!

A posing tip.
    When leaning a person...especially a female against an object such as your fence, have her to lean to it with her shoulders only. Not having her butt against the fence will completely change the look of the pose. For the better....I promise:D

Also, be vocal with your subjects in regard to facial expressions. Ask her for serious looks, slight grins, barely smiles....at some point she will probably break out in laughter.....be sure to have the camera ready in rapid fire mode for that!
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for feedback. It has been a long time since I've had hair but I know what you mean about these teenage daughters. After this one I'll have one more to get through!

I'll try your posing tip next time I can get her out again for some more practice.

I think I remember in your post about senior pix that you use some sort of diffuser on your flash? Am I remembering right?
    Mike J

Facebook
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for feedback. It has been a long time since I've had hair but I know what you mean about these teenage daughters. After this one I'll have one more to get through!

I'll try your posing tip next time I can get her out again for some more practice.

I think I remember in your post about senior pix that you use some sort of diffuser on your flash? Am I remembering right?

No....not me. I don't see the point in using a diffuser for fill flash. I do use color correcting gels to balance flash temp with ambient light temperatures....but thats about it.

I use a gary fong cloud indoors frequently.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Mike,

Enjoying the snow, eh? My husband has worked from home a bit this week as well. :D

It looks like you have a lovely subject to photograph! Hopefully she will be a willing subject for you in the coming years.

I like your sepia-toned treatments here. Looks like you were working in some pretty bright sun. My faves are 2 and 3. I like the moment caught in 2 and the expression in 3, which is nice and clear. I also think 3 has the best background. What lens were you using here?

Enjoy the rest of our wintry weather!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Elaine,

The best thing about this storm is the amount of snow dumped up on Hood. My kids have been very antsy about getting the ski season started and it is finally here...so we get to start our Sat routine again and make the weekly trip there and back! I really am looking forward to that.:D .

I went to the sepia to try to tone down the bright sun... and actually stumbled upon this sepia look through a BW split tone.

The lens I was using was an older Nikkor 35-70 f2.8 lens that my brother gave to me a while back. I have not used this much so I'm just familar with what it can do. One of the things I've read and did notice is that is can be prone to flare.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Nice shots. Good tips you have already received.
    When in such harsh light reducing the contrast usually helps and it looks like you did that here which really helped to even out the light.
    Nice job.
    edited December 18, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Nice shots. Good tips you have already received.
    When in such harsh light reducing the contrast usually helps and it looks like you did that here which really helped to even out the light.
    Nice job.

Hi Zoomer,

Thanks - I just was not happy with the color version because of the harsh lighting. What I ended with was a combination of a couple of LR presets I downloaded from Lightroom Killer Tips and then playing with the grayscale mixer.
    Mike J

Facebook