Options

Help!!!!

PerflectionsPerflections Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Technique
Hi Everone!

I am new to the forum and orginnaly started with Dgrin because I want to learn. So, here is one thing I really NEED help on. I have a wedding coming up and I am curious as to who use what printer? I have always used shutterfly, and have not been happy with their print quality. I was thinking of going with Kodak, but I am really afraid of the results. Can I get some advise?

Also...another question :dunno I am shooting in all natural light for the wedding. The building roof is all glass. Or should I take a fill flash and a stand alone? I am having kind of a hard time with this. It is my first BIG wedding and not just for friends. It's paid so I am nervious. Any advise would be very appreciated. I am self taught so I know I have a lot to learn.

Thanks!
Jess
Perflections Photography
www.perflectionsphotography.com
~Jess Cleveland~
Perflections Photography
Canon 40D
Canon EOS XTi

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    I shoot ALL weddings with flash.....the only parts that are done without are shots I know are well lit or I am shooting for a special effect and the ceremony it self up to the kiss and then it is flash back on......I do not trust natural lighting to be perfect for me.....at any given moment a stray set of clouds could come to the wedding......
    If you have an assistant then I suggest studio lights on stands...if not then use a flash bracket to get that flash off the camera.....I also suggest a bracket that the camera rotates and the flash doesn't (stroboframe or custom brackets).....this will give you the best flash coverage.....also some sort of flash modifier should be used....I use Lumiquest...the large softbox and it works great for me.....Ziggy and others use home made modifiers......

As for printers.......I personally use Douglas Photographic Imaging here in Wichita....they are a PRO lab .....even aviation photographer Paul Bowen uses them........a lot of people on here use SmugMUg for printing with good results.....

I try to get people to use the PRO labs in their own towns for these reasons......
    1- you can deal face to face
    2- you are n't relying on the mail to get your precious work to you
    3- if there is a prob you can fix right now and not have to make phone calls and send back bad photos and wait for mail again to re-deliver......

I have and still do use some mail order pro houses but not for weddings or portraits.....these I want to inspect atthe lab and if there is a prob it is fixed right then and there.........

good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Hi Jen,

I have done literally a handful of weddings and like you I have been nervous before all of them. However, with proper planning and being in control can make it less stressfull.

First thing I would suggest is to make friends with the Best Man and Maid of Honor. Reason being is that it is more than likely that these two people will know most of the guests. So, when it's time to shout up for 'uncle peter and aunty Pauline' they will have a better clue who these people are. Believe me, this little thing can make a huge difference on the day.

Make sure you are in control of the crowd and the relevant people you want in the shot. If there are people in the shot you don't want to be there politily TELL them to move. Remember you are capturing someones big day here and a stray guest can wreck a photograph.

Lighting, I personally wouldn't use flash unless I 100% absolulty have to. Make sure you have a reasonable fast lens and a camera that can handle the higher ISO ranges.

Couple of other tips, arrive well before the ceremony starts (if not a day or two before), take a good look around the location work out where you want the shots to be taken. If you can take a spare camera body just incase the worst happens, take a few candid shots of guests, make sure you are ready for the killer shots such as first kiss, confetti etc

Sorry, no idea on the printing as I am in the UK.

You can view some of my wedding shots here: Various Weddings
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I shoot ALL weddings with flash.....the only parts that are done without are shots I know are well lit or I am shooting for a special effect and the ceremony it self up to the kiss and then it is flash back on......I do not trust natural lighting to be perfect for me.....at any given moment a stray set of clouds could come to the wedding......
    If you have an assistant then I suggest studio lights on stands...if not then use a flash bracket to get that flash off the camera.....I also suggest a bracket that the camera rotates and the flash doesn't (stroboframe or custom brackets).....this will give you the best flash coverage.....also some sort of flash modifier should be used....I use Lumiquest...the large softbox and it works great for me.....Ziggy and others use home made modifiers......

As for printers.......I personally use Douglas Photographic Imaging here in Wichita....they are a PRO lab .....even aviation photographer Paul Bowen uses them........a lot of people on here use SmugMUg for printing with good results.....

I try to get people to use the PRO labs in their own towns for these reasons......
    1- you can deal face to face
    2- you are n't relying on the mail to get your precious work to you
    3- if there is a prob you can fix right now and not have to make phone calls and send back bad photos and wait for mail again to re-deliver......

I have and still do use some mail order pro houses but not for weddings or portraits.....these I want to inspect atthe lab and if there is a prob it is fixed right then and there.........

good luck

WOW!! Thank you so much for your input. I am visiting the Site this weekend with the bride and groom. I will do some test shots here. I do have an assistant as well, so I will definatley consider the flash stands. I do have a modifer as well. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.

~Jess~
    Perflections Photography
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Scotto wrote:
    Hi Jen,

I have done literally a handful of weddings and like you I have been nervous before all of them. However, with proper planning and being in control can make it less stressfull.

First thing I would suggest is to make friends with the Best Man and Maid of Honor. Reason being is that it is more than likely that these two people will know most of the guests. So, when it's time to shout up for 'uncle peter and aunty Pauline' they will have a better clue who these people are. Believe me, this little thing can make a huge difference on the day.

Make sure you are in control of the crowd and the relevant people you want in the shot. If there are people in the shot you don't want to be there politily TELL them to move. Remember you are capturing someones big day here and a stray guest can wreck a photograph.

Lighting, I personally wouldn't use flash unless I 100% absolulty have to. Make sure you have a reasonable fast lens and a camera that can handle the higher ISO ranges.

Couple of other tips, arrive well before the ceremony starts (if not a day or two before), take a good look around the location work out where you want the shots to be taken. If you can take a spare camera body just incase the worst happens, take a few candid shots of guests, make sure you are ready for the killer shots such as first kiss, confetti etc

Sorry, no idea on the printing as I am in the UK.

You can view some of my wedding shots here: Various Weddings

Hi Scotto!

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. The only problem is, this is a Nicaraguan wedding and they are not having Maid of Honor or a Best Man, but I have asked them who the "go to" would be for their wedding. I am going this weekend to look at the site so it will be very helpful. I am taking my camera Canon Rebel EOS and 3 lens, including a Macro 70-300mm to capture the small things :D I hope I will be prepared. I am sure I will do fine, but I am more nervous then I was on my own wedding day. rolleyes1.gif
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    You'll do fine, post up some photographs when you're done
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Hi Jess,

I couldn't access your gallery to see what you have done to date.

I don't know how much time you have until the wedding, but from what you have posted, it sounds like you need to do some serious practice.

If your not very familiar with using flash, I recommend you learn it fast.

Also what lenses do you have? The Rebel EOS, is that one of the newer ones or the original 6 mp?

Do you have any backup equipment? You can rent what you need if you don't have it, but DON'T go without it!

Do you shoot in RAW, or jpg? Is your monitor calibrated?

How experienced is your second shooter?

Get your processing / printing down before the wedding.

These are the thoughts that popped into my head.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Jess,

I couldn't access your gallery to see what you have done to date.

I don't know how much time you have until the wedding, but from what you have posted, it sounds like you need to do some serious practice.

If your not very familiar with using flash, I recommend you learn it fast.

Also what lenses do you have? The Rebel EOS, is that one of the newer ones or the original 6 mp?

Do you have any backup equipment? You can rent what you need if you don't have it, but DON'T go without it!

Do you shoot in RAW, or jpg? Is your monitor calibrated?

How experienced is your second shooter?

Get your processing / printing down before the wedding.

These are the thoughts that popped into my head.

Sam

Hi Sam,

My galleries aren't up yet, but I have posted some images under "People" My first creative shoot. I am familure with Flash and how to use it. I do however like to shoot with natural light. The EOS is the original 6 mp. I have a stand alone flash with umbrellas that I am going to test with. I do need to get some practice in, which I have been working on. My portfolio is all free shoots. this is my first paid wedding. My second photographer only shoots for hobby and not often. I am using her to capture the smaller things at the reception. Activity that is going on that I can not catch because I will be focusing on the bride, groom, wedding party and so on. I shoot in RAW. I only have until the 10th. If you have any advise for me, that would be great! Thanks!

Jess
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Scotto wrote:
    You'll do fine, post up some photographs when you're done

I most definately will Sotto. Thanks again for your help.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Jess, don't take this the wrong way but..

The original EOS Rebel will not be suitable for large final prints. What are the clients expecting, an album, large frame prints etc. They may come to you a month or two after the wedding wanting a large feature picture for their wall and you may struggle to hit the expected quality they require.

Also as mentioned, what lens / lenses will you be using.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Scotto wrote:

The original EOS Rebel will not be suitable for large final prints. What are the clients expecting, an album, large frame prints etc. They may come to you a month or two after the wedding wanting a large feature picture for their wall and you may struggle to hit the expected quality they require.

I have a couple of 16x20 prints on my wall of my boys and they seem to be great quality. That is one thing I have noticed with the digital is my prints were coming out great. As far as what they want. A book, and one print. They do want to order smaller prints as thank you's after the wedding when they see the shoot and pick one.

Lens:

Tamron: 70-300mm 1:4-5.8 with Tele-macro 1:2
    Canon: 18-55mm
    Canon: 75-300mm

I hope this is sufficent. Both Canon's are consumer rather than Professional. I have not upgraded yet.

:D And, no offense taken :) I need to know. Thanks again
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    OK, I thought long, and hard before posting this, but against my better judgment I am going to post it anyway.

From what I have read, your in over your head. If this is a budget shoot for $200.00 it might be OK, but if as you say in your first post, this is a big wedding, I think you really need to get some help.

I have the original Rebel, and kit lens so I know the quality it can produce, and the limitations. While I have 20" X 30" prints from the Rebel, they can't compare to the images from my 5D with good glass.

The Rebel can be fine for quest shooting, but for pro getting paid, I don't believe it's adequate. One of the drawbacks is high ISO.

Generally speaking you need fast glass for a wedding, and you don't have any.

Again I will emphasize, you need a spare body, and flash.

Also spare memory cards, camera battery, and flash batteries.

I live in San Jose, and have friend who has more wedding experience than I do, and if you have a second shooter budget, (if you don't you should make one), if would like, I can put you in touch with her. She will be worth far more that what you pay her.

I am not trying to be cruel. I am trying to get you more prepared.

There will be no second chance to shoot your clients wedding. Remember if you fail, it's not you who suffers, it's your clients.

Send be a pm if your interested.

Sam
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Sam i back ya totally...well said
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Good post Sam bowdown.gif

Jess, the kit you have is simply not good enough to offer as a paid service. I used to own a Rebel XT (350D here in the UK) and like you have prints off this camera on my wall. The large print quality is no where near as good as my 40D or 20D, the difference is simply 'night and day'

As mentioned before, I have done a handfull of weddings using my Canon 20D and this camera (in my opinion) is only just good enough to offer as a paid service to a client. Can you borrow a camera and a couple of lenses ?

Sorry if this just adds to your worries but you have to be realistic, you are capturing someones memories from their wedding day.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Everone!

I am new to the forum and orginnaly started with Dgrin because I want to learn. So, here is one thing I really NEED help on. I have a wedding coming up and I am curious as to who use what printer? I have always used shutterfly, and have not been happy with their print quality. I was thinking of going with Kodak, but I am really afraid of the results. Can I get some advise?

Also...another question ne_nau.gif I am shooting in all natural light for the wedding. The building roof is all glass. Or should I take a fill flash and a stand alone? I am having kind of a hard time with this. It is my first BIG wedding and not just for friends. It's paid so I am nervious. Any advise would be very appreciated. I am self taught so I know I have a lot to learn.

Thanks!
    Jess
    Perflections Photography
    Jess,

I have shot my share of weddings and I have got to say I have some concerns for your prospects for a stunning success...

Please read my thoughts on photographing a wedding (link in my siggy). There's lots of decent/good information there and some lessons I learned the hard way.

As for flash during the wedding - My opinion/style ... only if there is no alternative. Flash can be quite disruptive and many officiant will not allow it anyway. Talk to the officiant and get his/her take on it.

To mitigate the problems of dark churchs, get yourself some decently fast glass. If you don't have it, rent it - but get it. I have been able to shoot 90% (or more) of my weddings at ISO 800 (or less) with f/2.8 zooms. In my particular case I use the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS and EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS. For only one wedding did I have to resort to ISO 1600. Embrace the digital noise. Most of it will not be evident in prints anyway. What little there is can be mitigated using some noise reduction software.

Flash during the reception. Don't shoot in Av or Tv mode with a flash indoors. Doing so with a EOS camera is a sure route to disappointment. In these modes the stooopid computer in your camera will attempt to set the exposure settings for the ambient light without taking the flash into consideration. Shooting manual mode will allow you to set the shutter speed and aperture you want ... ETT-L flash will then compensate as required to get a decent exposure. You modify the duration of the flash with your FEC. Remember that you need slower shutter speed and/or higher ISO to get more ambient contribution in your exposure.

As others have mentioned, your 300D will probably not be up to the task of delivering the desired results:
    • The sensor is too small. Granted, you can get 16 x 20 from this sensor, but what happens if you need to crop the exposure. You don't have a lot of pixels to start with and any cropping will make anything larger than an 8x10 problematic.
    • The 300D is a little too slow to get the job done. Shooting RAW, you have a 5-frame buffer. Sufficient for most of the day, but there are times when you need much more.
    • The data write speed on the 300D is very, very slow. If you fill your buffer, you are stuck with getting a additional shot at no more than one every other second or so. Not a goodness.
    I strongly believe you will greatly improve your chances for success if you beg/borrow/steal a pair of 20D/30D/40D/50D cameras. Shay Stephens (search for him on DGrin - a great wedding photographer) has had some wonderful success with the "lowly" 20D. The difference between the xxxD and xxD cameras is like night and day.

A final couple of statements about equipment:
    1. There's a saying, "Good equipment doesn't make the photograph. Good equipment makes the photograph possible!"
    2. If you have good equipment, suitable to the task at hand, your pucker factor will be signigicantly less than if you have only "sub-standard" equipment. For a first wedding, one needs all the stress relief one can get.

Prints - I use EZPrints through my smuggy account. I've done thousands of glossy prints and many satin finish - never been disappointed. Their metalic is great. I've not been able to perceive any difference between EZPrints and anyone else, though stories do differ on this and YMMV.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    OK, I thought long, and hard before posting this, but against my better judgment I am going to post it anyway.

From what I have read, your in over your head. If this is a budget shoot for $200.00 it might be OK, but if as you say in your first post, this is a big wedding, I think you really need to get some help.

I have the original Rebel, and kit lens so I know the quality it can produce, and the limitations. While I have 20" X 30" prints from the Rebel, they can't compare to the images from my 5D with good glass.

The Rebel can be fine for quest shooting, but for pro getting paid, I don't believe it's adequate. One of the drawbacks is high ISO.

Generally speaking you need fast glass for a wedding, and you don't have any.

Again I will emphasize, you need a spare body, and flash.

Also spare memory cards, camera battery, and flash batteries.

I live in San Jose, and have friend who has more wedding experience than I do, and if you have a second shooter budget, (if you don't you should make one), if would like, I can put you in touch with her. She will be worth far more that what you pay her.

I am not trying to be cruel. I am trying to get you more prepared.

There will be no second chance to shoot your clients wedding. Remember if you fail, it's not you who suffers, it's your clients.

Send be a pm if your interested.

Sam

Hi Sam!

Thank you for posting this! Really, it helps. I really think I can do this. I read your e-mail at 6:30 am this moring and have definately been working on this. So, I appreciate your offer. I will however respectfully decline. However, your advise is WONDERFUL! I have looked into rentals this morning and came to a couple of options, and I want your oppnion. I am looking at a Canon 40D 10 mp; and a 20D 8 mp. My assistant has a Nikon D90. Also, I have 4-4 Gig memory cards for the Canon and She has 2-4 gig memory cards. I also have a protable drive I will be bringing. I do have additional batteries as well. 3 to be exact. I learned my lesson on my very first wedding when I ran out of power. I am still looking into flash, but I also have to check with the bride and groom today on what the allowance is for flash and portable units. I will post on that today as well. I want to really thank you for your help. As far as being in over my head, I don't think I am. I think I just need to be prepared for this rather than going in blind.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Jess,

I am glad your not taking my, and some others comments, the wrong way. While I still may feel your in over your head, I will give you full credit for seriously considering the recommendations people are giving you, and working to get as ready as you can.

As for equipment. The 40D, and 20D will be a ton better than one 300D. I would look at using one with a 17-55 2.8 IS, and the other with the 70-200 2.8 IS. If you have a nifty fifty throw that in your bag as well.

I would forget trying to transfer the images to a portable HD at the wedding. You won't have time, and it adds to the possibility of loosing the images.

The portable strobes should be great for the formal shots. While flash is not normally allowed during the ceremony you will want it available for all the other locations for fill, etc. You can always turn it on, or off depending on the shot.

If it's possible to get a 5D I would recommend it. The image quality, and ISO performance are superb. I would use the 24-70 2.8 with the 5D.

That said read up on poses, make a shot list, have a go to person for any issues that come up.

Read Scot's wedding info.

One last thing. I recommend that when you get home after the wedding you make copies, DVD, immediately before you do anything else.

How big is this wedding? 10 people? 100, 200? Just curious.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Jess,

I am glad your not taking my, and some others comments, the wrong way. While I still may feel your in over your head, I will give you full credit for seriously considering the recommendations people are giving you, and working to get as ready as you can.

As for equipment. The 40D, and 20D will be a ton better than one 300D. I would look at using one with a 17-55 2.8 IS, and the other with the 70-200 2.8 IS. If you have a nifty fifty throw that in your bag as well.

I would forget trying to transfer the images to a portable HD at the wedding. You won't have time, and it adds to the possibility of loosing the images.

The portable strobes should be great for the formal shots. While flash is not normally allowed during the ceremony you will want it available for all the other locations for fill, etc. You can always turn it on, or off depending on the shot.

If it's possible to get a 5D I would recommend it. The image quality, and ISO performance are superb. I would use the 24-70 2.8 with the 5D.

That said read up on poses, make a shot list, have a go to person for any issues that come up.

Read Scot's wedding info.

One last thing. I recommend that when you get home after the wedding you make copies, DVD, immediately before you do anything else.

How big is this wedding? 10 people? 100, 200? Just curious.

Sam

The wedding is 400 people. The pay is only $300 (for friends). The wedding party is 14 people. I sat down with the bride and groom today and found out who the go to is as well as flash requests. They did request we not have the strobes for the ceremony but I will be using them for the formals. Thanks for the advise on the portable. It does make sense. I will refrain from using that at the wedding. And as far as the critisim goes, bring it. I need to know and learn. I have learned a ton already and I still have more RESEARCH :( to do. I hope I can give the couple what they want. I have researched alot on posing groups and wedding shots. And a have a couple of ideas of my own. I have also decided that I am going to buy a new camara wings.gif I can't wait! Thanks for the help. I am also reading Scotts info as well and so far it has been pretty helpful.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    The wedding is 400 people. The pay is only $300 (for friends). The wedding party is 14 people. I sat down with the bride and groom today and found out who the go to is as well as flash requests. They did request we not have the strobes for the ceremony but I will be using them for the formals. Thanks for the advise on the portable. It does make sense. I will refrain from using that at the wedding. And as far as the critisim goes, bring it. I need to know and learn. I have learned a ton already and I still have more RESEARCH :( to do. I hope I can give the couple what they want. I have researched alot on posing groups and wedding shots. And a have a couple of ideas of my own. I have also decided that I am going to buy a new camara wings.gif I can't wait! Thanks for the help. I am also reading Scotts info as well and so far it has been pretty helpful.

So....we can arrange to have a wedding with 400 guests and only a $300 budget for a photographer?

No way. Not me. No how!!! rolleyes1.gif

They should (at the very least)also offer to rent all the gear you need.....on top of their $300.

I think they are taking advantage of you because of their ingorance of how much work and time is involved.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    So....we can arrange to have a wedding with 400 guests and only a $300 budget for a photographer?

No way. Not me. No how!!! rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif Well, these are friends and they are only paying for my costs. I did not request a large amount because they are my friends and it is, for me, a "big" wedding and my first "big" wedding. This wedding is a learning experience for me, so inturn, I think it is well worth my time. On top of that, they don't expect miracles and were planning on not having a photographer, only point and shoot cameras for the wedding. But, I could see why no one wants to do a wedding for that low of a price. I will not again! But, I wanted to do this wedding for free and they would not let me. After paying the assistant, I am only making $100 on this.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Laughing.gif Well, these are friends and they are only paying for my costs. I did not request a large amount because they are my friends and it is, for me, a "big" wedding and my first "big" wedding. This wedding is a learning experience for me, so inturn, I think it is well worth my time. On top of that, they don't expect miracles and were planning on not having a photographer, only point and shoot cameras for the wedding. But, I could see why no one wants to do a wedding for that low of a price. I will not again! But, I wanted to do this wedding for free and they would not let me. After paying the assistant, I am only making $100 on this.
    I'm with Sam - I'm also glad you are taking these comments in the spirit in which they are intended - to help you succeed in this.

I think Jeff has the right idea. Approach the clients with the fact that you are under-armed for this gig and would like some help with renting the right equipment and then rent the equipment for the entire week before the event so you have some time to get to know it better. Most cameras are, by and large, the same. It's the fine details that will make the difference when you can't see the adjustment buttons because the lights at the reception have just been turned down. Some time alone with the equipment will enable you to learn where these buttons are so you can find them in the dark.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Scotto wrote:

This is a mis nomer......in fact utterly wrong.....it wasn't long ago that 1mp was the best anyone could do and they were utterly expensive......
    I still use 6-8mp cameras and do make 30x40 inch prints that are 8x10 quality (300dpi)....this gives a print that you can stand nose to print and not see any pixalation........

If you need large prints go to OnOne Software and get the trial version of Genuine Fractals....I do believe it allows for upto 20 saved prints and it uprezes in one step.....it has won best software of this type for many years running and it won't let you down

My 8mp is a prosumer p/s, I believe the sensor is either 4/3 or smaller and it turns out stunning 30 x 40 prints.............

There are other uprezing software out there and the best ones have been bought out by OnOne..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Laughing.gif Well, these are friends and they are only paying for my costs. I did not request a large amount because they are my friends and it is, for me, a "big" wedding and my first "big" wedding. This wedding is a learning experience for me, so in turn, I think it is well worth my time. On top of that, they don't expect miracles and were planning on not having a photographer, only point and shoot cameras for the wedding. But, I could see why no one wants to do a wedding for that low of a price. I will not again! But, I wanted to do this wedding for free and they would not let me. After paying the assistant, I am only making $100 on this.

Besure to tell your friends that if asked what you cost....they say your prices start at .......hmmmmmm.....let's say $1500 for a minimal wedding ..........

That way others will expect to pay for your services and not get them for goodwill............

• Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Besure to tell your friends that if asked what you cost....they say your prices start at .......hmmmmmm.....let's say $1500 for a minimal wedding ..........

That way others will expect to pay for your services and not get them for goodwill............

Laughing.gif I will definately do that. As a matter of fact, I gave them the price list today with the charges we determened for my website, starting at $1500. Thank you for the adivse :D
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2009
    Laughing.gif I will definately do that. As a matter of fact, I gave them the price list today with the charges we determened for my website, starting at $1500. Thank you for the adivse :D

Hi All!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on the wedding I shot back in January. It was awsome. Went really well. I did hire an assistant and she did an OK job. The bride and groom LOVED their photographs. I do not have a subscription with smugmug, but you can view the images on my website under "Tellez Wedding" in the galleries. There are a ton of pictures up there, but worth going through. I ended up going with natural lighting. I have also found my style. I enjoy photo journalistic styles much more than traditional. I did get traditional shots and some photo journalist and posed shots as well.

Thans again, everyone wings.gif :ivar

www.PerflectionsPhotography.com
    go to galleries to see the pics. Or you can see them on myspace as well. Perflections Photography and myspace.com/ravenmoon26

Thanks!
    Jessica
    Perflections Photography
    www.PerflectionsPhotography.com
    Cannon 40D NEW TOY :)wings.gif
    Cannon EOS XTi
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hey All!

I wanted to thank everyone again for their advise on this shoot! It helped. I had sooooo much fun and I had butterfly's up until it started.

Here is the post with some of my fav pics: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1037203#post1037203

Thanks agian :)
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    This is a mis nomer......in fact utterly wrong.....it wasn't long ago that 1mp was the best anyone could do and they were utterly expensive......
    I still use 6-8mp cameras and do make 30x40 inch prints that are 8x10 quality (300dpi)....this gives a print that you can stand nose to print and not see any pixalation........

If you need large prints go to OnOne Software and get the trial version of Genuine Fractals....I do believe it allows for upto 20 saved prints and it uprezes in one step.....it has won best software of this type for many years running and it won't let you down

My 8mp is a prosumer p/s, I believe the sensor is either 4/3 or smaller and it turns out stunning 30 x 40 prints.............

There are other uprezing software out there and the best ones have been bought out by OnOne..........

The point I was trying to make was if you shoot this wedding the clients expect professional results. Comparing a 8MP 30 x 40 print to a 15MP 30 x 40 the difference is night and day.

I currently have 2 professional printed 30x40 prints on our wall at home. Both photographs were shot in a studio environment by myself using 100ISO, 125, f16 the only difference is one was shot on my 20D the other on my 40D. You can quiet clearly see the difference in quality the 40D photograph.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Looks like everything came out good and I see you acquired a new camera.

Was the new camera in response to what was posted here?

And, what did you do for glass? Did you rent additional?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Looks like everything came out good and I see you acquired a new camera.

Was the new camera in response to what was posted here?

And, what did you do for glass? Did you rent additional?

Yes, it was definately because of what was posted here and I also wanted an excuse for a new toy. I have my eye on the 5D now mwink.gif But, that will be a while!

I used what I had. I went to rent and their equipment was already rented for that day. I do know better next time, rent way before hand! But, eventually I will be upgrading my lenses. I would like to do more weddings, it was fun. But, I think on a smaller scale until I get more aquainted with the entire process.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi