Bird singing competition

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Bird singing competition is perhaps unique in our region which appears to associate with lowly educated men drawing pleasure from it. These unfortunate birds, though seemingly well taken care of, is “jailed” in her life span which I personally will not condon such activity. Nevertheless, there is this group of bird watching and singing enthusiasts who have their very own needs that make up the social fabric of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Cages are veiled in various colourful fabrics. I'm not sure what's the reason but I guess if it is opened it might start to sing prematurely and thus running out of stamina. </o:p>
<o:p>431224377_c5wS3-M.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>431224378_bpkMp-M.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Even it attracted foreign reporters </o:p>
<o:p>431224380_gQeZr-M.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>Specially crafted hooks to enhance the beauty of the cages</o:p>
<o:p>431224382_RdkKT-M.jpg</o:p>

Cages are hung up ready for competition. Looks like X'mas decoration, isn't it?
431224385_yCzdn-M.jpg

The moment of truth - unveiling their prized catch.
431224388_rEKZC-M.jpg

Juding begins. The judge has to stay low for this kind of birds (Merbah Jumbul) to prevent frightening the birds. I'm just wonder how on earth he diiferentiates the singers when all birds are chirping. That to me is a stressful job !!
431224392_FqcP5-M.jpg

These are smaller birds (Mata Puteh) and the judging can be standing.
431224393_kwXW7-M.jpg

And the score sheets
431224397_LeFte-M.jpg

Hope you all enjoy my series. More bird photos can be viewed at: http://david-low.smugmug.com/gallery/2087440_cPevF

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Nice pictures, and a great summary of a unique sport. First time I'd ever heard of it.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    aj986s wrote:
    Nice pictures, and a great summary of a unique sport. First time I'd ever heard of it.

I'm quite surprise this activity seems alien to the other side of the globe.

Cheers
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Nice pictures…

…and you have cleared up a mystery that's been haunting me for the past thirty five years; I've often wondered how Mao Zedong was able to answer so quickly in Episode #25 of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Little_Birdie )

…so now we know rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments and digging up my post.

Its a bigger mystery to me how can these guys take pleasure admiring the birds whilst locking them up.