DSLR lens filters

kimbavkimbav Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited December 17, 2008 in Landscapes
Any opinions about using polarizers and ND filters for waterfalls and general landscape pix? If so, what brands are best?

Comments

• jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    kimbav wrote:
    Any opinions about using polarizers and ND filters for waterfalls and general landscape pix? If so, what brands are best?
    I have some Lee filters 4x4 graduated neutral density filters. I bought in a set one stop to three stops. I do not bother with the mounting I just hold them in front of the lens.
    They come in handy to balance out the bright upper portion of landscape and the darker bottom portion. And I also use a circular polarizer.
    Maybe somebody will chime in with more specific information.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Hi Kimbav..

You can fill a house with the volumes of books written on and around your question. A circular polarizer is one of the most useful filters that one can employ. I doubt there's any serious photographer that doesn't have one....and I'd bet it gets used quite a bit. The ND filters that exist ( and there are many, many variations ) are also almost indispensible to the ardent photographer. My suggestion is to find a couple of good books about these things and do some reading. There are lots of good, informational books around....as well as CDs, etc.

Nikon, Hoya, B + W, and Singh Ray are some of the quality brands out there. There are others. My advice is to spend the most you can to get real quality glass ( and superior coatings ) in these things.

Utilizing these filters you mention, as well as others, can enhance your photography more than you can imagine.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 17, 2008
    i use circular poloriser & nd filters for all waterfall shots nd 4 stop most usefull. , grad nds to hold back highlights in the skys also for general landscapes.
    use cokin p size square filters.
    much better most of the time, you cant replicate a poloriser in photoshop! increases saturation& reduces glare off the water
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

4 sec exposure -2 stop nd + circular poloriser reduce water glare&increase saturation

3101064796_9b62463307_o.jpg