More shots of Seattle (bandwidth warning)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in Landscapes
These shots were taken Monday and Tuesday before and after work. It's been colder than normal in Seattle, and there's even a little snow on the ground, so I figured I should take advantage of the opportunity and lugged my gear to work.

#1 King Street Station (taken at dawn from a balcony at my office). Unfortunately there's another building on the right so I couldn't do the composition I wanted (which would require removal of said building):

438553848_EamXL-L.jpg

#2 Qwest Field (taken from the same spot as #1):

438552289_h6ycx-L.jpg

#3 Trees silhouetted by the sunset with some snow (yeah, this isn't a "Seattle" shot, but it was taken about 100 yards from #4):

438624586_2kJx4-L.jpg

#4 (my favorite composition from this bridge that I've taken a million times, but this is the first one with snow in the foreground):

438626876_WvHb3-L.jpg

#4.5 (I didn't include this in the original post, but meant to!). This is from the same spot as #4, except zoomed in and angled toward downtown (this allowed me to us a polarizer to bring out the colors in the clouds, as the wide angle shot in #4 showed obvious banding with a polarizer).

438626304_fwtZU-L.jpg

#5 Space Needle at dusk:

438554354_jA9hq-L.jpg

#6 Space Needle at sunset with a faint Mt. Rainier on the right:

438557287_jqWkf-L.jpg

#7 Space Needle at sunrise:

438623115_eLimu-L.jpg

And now two 10+ shot panoramas (which are responsible for the bandwidth warning). These are "X3" size on SmugMug which isn't large enough to do them justice, but posting the "Original" size would just be rude. So, this is a compromise :D

#8 Space Needle and Elliott Bay at sunrise:

438630644_p2oVP-X3.jpg

#9 Space Needle at sunset:

438551976_GwFWv-X3.jpg

Comments

• AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Great series Ron. You guys have escaped the bad snow yet today. Just a mess up here in Marysville

Ray Still
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    all freakin amazing. I think #4 is probably my favorite.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Whoa!! Very nice!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Nice JOB which allows you to photograph... Great work, #4 wins for me...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    Stunning shots, Ron. Not too shabby for work balcony shots. rolleyes1.gif

The panos would make great wall-hangers. #4 is my favorite of the single shots. Stunning comp, and the light balance there is just perfect. thumb.gif

-joel
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Great series Ron. You guys have escaped the bad snow yet today. Just a mess up here in Marysville

Ray Still

We more than made up for it this morning, about 4-5" which is the most it's snowed here in 2 years. Photos forthcoming :D
    edited December 18, 2008
    pillman wrote:
    Nice JOB which allows you to photograph... Great work, #4 wins for me...

Thanks!

They also allow me to work 50+ hours a week and carry a pager and be on-call 25% of the year :D

But yes, it's good that they allow me to deviate from the normal working hours occasionally.
    edited December 18, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Stunning shots, Ron. Not too shabby for work balcony shots. rolleyes1.gif

The panos would make great wall-hangers. #4 is my favorite of the single shots. Stunning comp, and the light balance there is just perfect. thumb.gif

-joel
    Thanks Joel! I just added another one from that same spot ("4.5").

I have a full gallery of panos from Kerry Park, some of them are better than the ones posted here:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/6858384_gZhC6

Also, if you want to talk about balcony shots, the below shot was taken from the balcony of another office building at work (unfortunately, it's closed off 99% of the time despite my gripes):

246415795_4dKhY-L.jpg
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Great stuff as always Ron!

I love #7 that's a postcard right there!! iloveyou.giflust

I miss seattle so much.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Incredible!! #4 is easily my fav. thumb.gifthumb
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 18, 2008
    Brilliant! I can't quite decide which one I like best. The light in all of them is exquisite. The snow adds a special quality to the photos. clap.gif What time did you have to get up to get those pre-sunrise photos?

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Beautiful, I always show your shots to my wife, who's a native Seattlite and it makes her miss home. We watched the Kingdome implode from that hill...

bowdown.gif
    Chris
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Also, if you want to talk about balcony shots, the below shot was taken from the balcony of another office building at work (unfortunately, it's closed off 99% of the time despite my gripes):
    Wow. :wow That's another stunner.

Say, am I detecting some HDR action in some of those shots? mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Awesome series. I love the panos.

Now I'm inspired to go stitch together my series of shots I took from Kerry park at night.
    edited December 19, 2008
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Brilliant! I can't quite decide which one I like best. The light in all of them is exquisite. The snow adds a special quality to the photos. clap.gif What time did you have to get up to get those pre-sunrise photos?

Ana

Thanks!

They were taken around 7:15 AM, so I was probably up around 6 AM or so (only takes me about 20 minutes to get to these spots). Obviously the sun is rising a lot later in the morning now that we're near the winter solstice, so 7:15 AM is not bad at all compared to the ridiculous times I was waking up in summer.
    edited December 19, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Wow. :wow That's another stunner.

Say, am I detecting some HDR action in some of those shots? mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Yep! #1 and #2 are not HDR, and neither are the panos (my poor computer has a hard enough time doing HDR or panos by themselves, together is asking too much. Fortunately, I'm getting a new beefed up system in a week or so, so that may change mwink.gif).

That second "balcony" shot was the first HDR photo I did in Photomatix (I had some failed earlier attempts in Photoshop).

Most of the time I use HDR not to capture more dynamic range, but because the tone mapping / local contrast adjustments look better to me than any other workflow I've been able to come up with yet.

Several of these had a 3-stop GND as well.
    edited December 19, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Beautiful, I always show your shots to my wife, who's a native Seattlite and it makes her miss home. We watched the Kingdome implode from that hill...

bowdown.gif

Thanks! I watched the Mariners bullpen implode many times in the Kingdome growing up (But I did see Randy Johnson's no-hitter there, as well as the 1995 playoffs. Good times...). I wish I had some photos of the Kingdome, she may have been ugly, but she had a good personality :D
    edited December 19, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Awesome series. I love the panos.

Now I'm inspired to go stitch together my series of shots I took from Kerry park at night.

Thanks Bryan - sounds like you haven't developed the OCD like symptoms I have when it comes to processing photos (that's a compliment!). I can't let a set rest for more than a day or two before going crazy and it hinders my enjoyment of taking new photos.