Options

Springfield Symphony Hall

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited December 24, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Walked around Springfield Mass. the other night about 8PM on the coldest evening so far this winter (7 degrees F. and no gloves). Two days later it was 62 degrees!!! So much for timing :scratch

439791587_PCJTA-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Howdy Jack,

Beautiful shot, I really like all the details and the wonderful colors of the Banners.

Well shot, and thanks for braving the cold to get this for us!!

My Freezer doesn't get that Cold, I don't think
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Hi Jack,

Teriffic photo. Somehow the banners seem to desecrate the sanctity of such a stately building, but the contrast in perception is one reason it's such a good picture. Very well done.

Take care.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2008
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Jack,

Beautiful shot, I really like all the details and the wonderful colors of the Banners.

Well shot, and thanks for braving the cold to get this for us!!

My Freezer doesn't get that Cold, I don't think<g>

Thanks Craig
    This is one of my first attempts at night shots. Several other beautiful buildings didn't come out well. They required HDR and my fingers were so cold I could hardly press the shoot button let alone fussing with multiple exposures. I intend to go back if we get a slightly warmer evening soon.
    </g>

Jack
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Great shot. You fixed the sky. It was blue. Now it's black. I think it was too blue before. This is better!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Hi Jack,

Teriffic photo. Somehow the banners seem to desecrate the sanctity of such a stately building, but the contrast in perception is one reason it's such a good picture. Very well done.

Take care.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Interestingly this is one of two identical buildings separated by a plaza. The twin is Springfield City Hall and is typically unadorned.

Jack
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Great shot. You fixed the sky. It was blue. Now it's black. I think it was too blue before. This is better!

Thanks for having a second look Jeff. I had been playing with replacing backgrounds with "blend if" instead of the usual mask process. I too prefer the black.

Jack
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Very nice, indeed.

But don't you find, that at such... well... unreasonable temperatures, there is one nuisance that is automatically taken out of your photo...that being what I call "people pollution" -- the fact that people will always somehow get in your photos unless you are taking a photo of something extreme, early in the morning, late at night or in the worst weather conditions?

With that said, I'd be willing to bet your shot wouldn't be as good as the one you might have taken on a 60 degree night. Cold acts as a wonderful "human filter." :-)
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Looks awesome Jack. That building just looks powerful and the colors explode off the screen. Have you tried a version correcting the perspective distortion? Just curious...
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    davidryan wrote:
    Very nice, indeed.

But don't you find, that at such... well... unreasonable temperatures, there is one nuisance that is automatically taken out of your photo...that being what I call "people pollution" -- the fact that people will always somehow get in your photos unless you are taking a photo of something extreme, early in the morning, late at night or in the worst weather conditions?

With that said, I'd be willing to bet your shot wouldn't be as good as the one you might have taken on a 60 degree night. Cold acts as a wonderful "human filter." :-)

Thanks David.
    Laughing.gif you are right about the "human filter". There was however one other fool out there with camera and tripod.

Jack
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Looks awesome Jack. That building just looks powerful and the colors explode off the screen. Have you tried a version correcting the perspective distortion? Just curious...
    Thanks Travis. I did partially correct the distortion before I posted the shot above but couldn't go further without chopping off the peak of the roof. Your post caused me to have another look and I realized I could extend the canvas height (black) to get the room I needed. Not perfect but a bit better I think. Here is the result (didn't bother to clone out the building on lower right but it's the same original).

441908634_XxPLC-XL.jpg

Jack
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    The correction looks more natural to my eyes. thumb.gif Wonder what others think?
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I like the shot! The first one made me feel it needed to be straigtend. The second shot looks awesome.