Just got my A700 - Wow, what a difference!

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited December 20, 2008 in Cameras
Don't get me wrong, I loved my A100, but I had no idea what I was missing. Haven't even really had a chance to put the A700 through its paces but taking some quick shots indoors, very low light, with the 50mm 1.7 has been a pleasurable experience. The camera feels solid in my hands, is SUPER-responsive, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the shots even at ISO 800. Anyone considering making the jump ought to do it and do it quickly!

Can't wait until I can really put this thing to use in the next few weeks! :barb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 17, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I loved my A100, but I had no idea what I was missing. Haven't even really had a chance to put the A700 through its paces but taking some quick shots indoors, very low light, with the 50mm 1.7 has been a pleasurable experience. The camera feels solid in my hands, is SUPER-responsive, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the shots even at ISO 800. Anyone considering making the jump ought to do it and do it quickly!

Can't wait until I can really put this thing to use in the next few weeks! wings.gif

Congratulations. clap.gif

Now we just need to see some beautiful photographic examples.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    is that a Sony? just checking...
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Ya, the A700 is Sony's top of the line crop sensor camera. Looks pretty sweet!
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations. clap.gif

Now we just need to see some beautiful photographic examples.

Thanks Ziggy! I'll have several opportunities over the next few weeks to give it a workout. Several indoor, poorly lit Christmas parties, a couple out of town trips, and (God willing) the birth of our first son in the next 2-3 weeks.

Other great news is that I found a young high school kid who is really getting into photography to sell my A100 to. Since I got such a deal on the A700 I was able to "pay forward" the savings to get down to his price range. He's probably more excited than I am and it's fun to see! thumb.gif
    edited December 18, 2008
    Ya, the A700 is Sony's top of the line crop sensor camera. Looks pretty sweet!

that is what I thought. too bad the reviews haven't been as good on the a900 for the full frame
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    that is what I thought. too bad the reviews haven't been as good on the a900 for the full frame
    Actually it has been very positive in a lot of places/reviews. The A900 shows more dynamic range than any DSLR ever has. While it's noise isn't quite as good at high ISO you have to take into account that there are 24mp involved so you won't notice it like you would with a lower mp camera. I think it looks great! If i was a pro landscape photographer I would jump on this camera and one of the sweet ziess lenses in a heartbeat. To have increased dynamic range goes a LONG way.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Yup, on dpreview, the A900 got low marks for its ISO but was described as best in class for DR. If you mostly shoot in daylight and need resolution/DR+value for money (and can live with the lens lineup for Sony/KM), the A900 might just be the best game in town.....
    edited December 20, 2008
    Yeah, that is the other part I would struggle with, the lens choices are not all that appealing. And I am finding they even cost more than what I would get for my Canon, BUT I do love the new alpha cameras. I get consistently great images whenever shooting with alpha. Oh, and just so you know, you can still get great images with alpha in lowlight if you are using flash. I love the HVL58.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    The weather has been pretty miserable the past few days so I haven't got a chance to head up the mountain and shoot anything worthwhile. Such photographic boredom leads to wandering around the house taking pictures of Christmas decorations and the baby's quilt. This camera is super-fun to shoot. All these taken with the old Minolta 50mm f/1.7, handheld with available light.

440071862_D5F9T-M-1.jpg

ISO 1600 - F/1.7

440072473_ccMFE-M-1.jpg
    ISO 800 f/3.5

440073198_zTzhp-M-1.jpg
    ISO 800 - f/2.8
    edited December 20, 2008
    The 2nd one didn't show up. I sure like #3
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug