AE Lock?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited December 18, 2008 in Cameras
I've gone through my manual and read this a couple times. I'm just really not understanding it apparently. Here is what it says in my manual:

Use the AE lock when the area of focus is to be different from the exposure metering area or when you want to take multiple shots at the same exposure setting. Press the <*> button to lock the exposure, then recompose and take the shot. This is called AE lock. It is effective for backlit subjects. I'm just kinda unsure on exactly how to use it, and is it only effective for backlit subjects? Or are there more (frequent) uses for it?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    I've gone through my manual and read this a couple times. I'm just really not understanding it apparently. Here is what it says in my manual:

Use the AE lock when the area of focus is to be different from the exposure metering area or when you want to take multiple shots at the same exposure setting. Press the <*> button to lock the exposure, then recompose and take the shot. This is called AE lock. It is effective for backlit subjects. I'm just kinda unsure on exactly how to use it, and is it only effective for backlit subjects? Or are there more (frequent) uses for it?

AE Lock is appropriate any time you need to select a subject for exposure that is in the midst of other elements which might "throw" the exposure. Backlit and side lit are likely uses but use it anytime you need to lock in the subject's exposure and it is either off-center or the correct exposure might be from a subject that is not related to the AF point.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Here is one example where you can use AE Lock. (I missed the exposure on this shot, then used the method below and nailed it on the following try). The metering in the camera is fooled by the bright lighting in the background near the center of the frame, and sets automatic exposure based on that. However, you want to properly expose the people in the foreground and don't care about the background.

Aim the camera at the people only, maybe zoom in or walk closer to fill the frame mostly with your subject and try to exclude the background lights. Then hit AE Lock button. The camera will remember how to expose for the people, and you can recompose the frame however you like, change focus, etc.

-J
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    Got it. Thanks guys. I just tried it with my tv on in the background, and trying to properly expose my laptop sitting on the floor in front of it. Worked great!