first communion shoot, canon 135L

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited May 22, 2005 in People
i usually say "no" when friends ask me to shoot events for them - it's waaaay too much trouble and becuase this is a group of friends that really do plenty for each other, i wouldn't dream of charging $$. anyhow, i did a communion for my little friend katie, she's a doll that i've been having fun photographing since she was born. her mom asked, and i said "sure" :huh well i did over 400 shots for her to proof through today, and the very cool thing is that i didn't process but the one i'm showing here - the rest of the jpgs were perfect as is, out of the camera, for them and their family for 4x6s and the family albums. the mom's going to pic a dozen or so shots that i'll actually process up for her to order some large prints from.

man i love :lust this glass, canon's 135 f/2L onboard my 20d (click on the piccy for the exify):

22049733-L.jpg

enjoy (making your friends really happy with a free photo gig) photography,

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    As always you nailed it right onthumb.gif Great capture of a shared moment. I'm sure they will treasure this for years to come.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Lovely emotive shot, Andy and I agree, what a great lens the 135 f/2 L is.

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Really a nice moment, captured very well, Andy.

I love the girls in their first communion dresses. The church does that event very well, I think. My second daughter did it........she loved that dress. I took a photo of her with a baseball mitt and a baseball, after everything was over and we were back home. I remember that, as does she. I still have a photo of her that I sneaked through another bedroom. She was looking in the mirror, admiring herself in the dress, and twirling. A good place, a good time.

I am not fortunate enough to take the First Communion photos for our church. But I did whine about and then took the MayDay photos for the crowning of Mary which is outdoors the day after. All the first communion children are there in their dresses and little boy dress up. Also a good time.

http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/523846/1/21793378

That is the link to my May Day photos from last Sunday. Many little girls in white dresses.

I love that moment you caught, it is so special and something she will have and look at the rest of her life. My "first communion" daughter is now going to the Lutheran church, but she talks on and on about the good and bad of the first communion experiences, and she cherishes her photographs, as this girl will cherish the ones you took.

ginger (Uh, if you get a chance, try the baseball mitt and dress. Sara didn't like it at the time, she loves it now.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    As always you nailed it right onthumb.gif Great capture of a shared moment. I'm sure they will treasure this for years to come.

Eric

thanks eric :D very much for stoppin by and the comments...
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    That's not sharp, it's ™Ginsu sharp! mwink.gif Great capture of a lovely moment Andy.

AJ
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Just wonderful Andy.iloveyou.gif
    The family must be very pleased.
    The lens aint bad either.
    I havent tried it on my 20d I should get cracking:D
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    gorgeous!! and perfect clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif and it's nice too :D
  • Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Beautiful shot
    Love the emotion captured in the shot. Makes me aspire to take better photos, especially when on those (free) friend gigs.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    The best thing Andy is you forever preserved a moment. Father and daughter and the many others who will be blessed by this photo now and forever. Her future husband, who is out there somewhere, will share this wonderful captured moment in the life of his wife. The children yet to be born that she will raise and bring up in the faith of her father.

No one will no who took the picture after several years. But that's not why you take pictures like this.

It is a treasure. Priceless.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited May 16, 2005
    Lovely emotive shot, Andy and I agree, what a great lens the 135 f/2 L is.

Cheers
    Sheila

why thank you, sheila :D i really appreciate your comments, and stopping by to say hello here in this thread. the mom just sent me two dozen tulips to my office as a thank you today thumb.gif
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    See here's my thing. I don't get why people shy away from doing events. Your shots were great Andy they always are, I would love to one day get as many good shots as you do. I know events can be stressfull but thats part of the fun. Then again I am very interested in getting into photojournalism and thats basically what real event shooting works out to be. But its the thrill of the hunt, trying to capture as much of the special moments in life as you can. Why don't you like it?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited May 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Really a nice moment, captured very well, Andy.

I love the girls in their first communion dresses. The church does that event very well, I think. My second daughter did it........she loved that dress. I took a photo of her with a baseball mitt and a baseball, after everything was over and we were back home. I remember that, as does she. I still have a photo of her that I sneaked through another bedroom. She was looking in the mirror, admiring herself in the dress, and twirling. A good place, a good time.

I am not fortunate enough to take the First Communion photos for our church. But I did whine about and then took the MayDay photos for the crowning of Mary which is outdoors the day after. All the first communion children are there in their dresses and little boy dress up. Also a good time.

http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/523846/1/21793378

That is the link to my May Day photos from last Sunday. Many little girls in white dresses.

I love that moment you caught, it is so special and something she will have and look at the rest of her life. My "first communion" daughter is now going to the Lutheran church, but she talks on and on about the good and bad of the first communion experiences, and she cherishes her photographs, as this girl will cherish the ones you took.

ginger (Uh, if you get a chance, try the baseball mitt and dress. Sara didn't like it at the time, she loves it now.)

ginger i love the shots you linked - thanks for doing that :D and thank you for the comments here i really appreciate them thumb.gif
    edited May 22, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    That's not sharp, it's ™Ginsu sharp! mwink.gif Great capture of a lovely moment Andy.

AJ

aj, it was a good day. thanks for noticing :D
    edited May 22, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    gorgeous!! and perfect clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif and it's nice too :D

thanks lynn, very much for looking and commenting.

Just wonderful Andy.iloveyou.gif
    The family must be very pleased.
    The lens aint bad either.
    I havent tried it on my 20d I should get cracking:D

john, you really should give it a go, on any body - it's agreat lens. thanks for commenting.

Love the emotion captured in the shot. Makes me aspire to take better photos, especially when on those (free) friend gigs.

wave.gif hi jeremy, thanks for stopping by, and the kind words!

johno wrote:
    The best thing Andy is you forever preserved a moment. Father and daughter and the many others who will be blessed by this photo now and forever. Her future husband, who is out there somewhere, will share this wonderful captured moment in the life of his wife. The children yet to be born that she will raise and bring up in the faith of her father.

No one will no who took the picture after several years. But that's not why you take pictures like this.

It is a treasure. Priceless.

peace.
    johno~

heya rev - thanks for the kind words. do the little girls dress up in confirmation dresses at your church? it was a great day, thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure :D