Lens Suggestion (D90)/Intro

Nate4635Nate4635 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited December 18, 2008 in Cameras
Hey all :wave

I'm new here - I figured id lump a question in with an intro!

I had a D40, but I seemed to outgrow it pretty quick (4 months) so I upgraded to a D90. I really wasn't looking to spend that much money, but I thought it wouldn't be smart to buy a D80 since....its olddd. So, I just bought the D90 body and grabbed the 50mm F1.8 so I'd have something. I'm going to want something that shoots decently wide. Eventually I want to get like a 55-200mm VR, but I want something for some closer range shots. I was thinking a 18-55mm VR for now? Any suggestions? From what I understand its better to have more lenses for specific duties, than to have one that does it all? I'm sure lenses in the $600+ range will probably function fine regardless, but I'm not quite at that level yet :) I was also looking at the 18-135 that I believe comes in the D80 kit?

A little about me...I'm fairly new to photography, I really had an interest in it and had gotten out with my little point and shoot and had some fun. Then....I lost it. So I figure what an opportunity to upgrade to a DSLR. I bought the D40 (....price was a factor, i wish I had spent a little more) and dug in. I got "DSLR's for dummies" with the camera and read a little and produced some reasonably nice shots. I wanted to start upgrading accessories but it seemed the glass was holding me back because of the D40's inability to autofocus some lenses (seemingly all the ones I wanted). so...the D80 seemed like the camera to have. the more I learned, and shopped around, I suspected that I may be in the same boat in a few months with the D80, and remembered my thrifty buying habits with the D40 :) I say I have the D90....but I'm actually waiting right now for the UPS man to drop it off right now! ;)

Also - another question..I have a Sandisk plus II or something 2gb card. What kind of limitations does the D90 place on cards? I'm sure it would be fine for just taking pics (I dont do a lot of continous), but how about video?

Thanks guys....this seems like a nice place, I've lurked a bit :) Hope eventually i can start contributing!

Nate

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    for a newbie with limitied cash..the 18-55mm VR is an excellent lens and will keep you busy for a long time.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    Nate,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Congratulations on the D90. clap.gif

I do recommend a "standard" zoom as an important start to a kit and the Nikkor 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX is a pretty good choice, especially on a budget. My father has the Nikkor 18-70mm, f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX and I really like that lens on the Nikon crop cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Nate4635Nate4635 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2008
    Yea, I went out and bought the 18-55mm VR today - couldnt pass it up at that price. I lived with this lens (non VR) on my D40 forever, so I'm sure it'll hold me over until I can invest in a 55-200mm or something with a longer focal length.

When I opened this camera up, the pouch that the instruction manual/quick guide/software etc was open? Like....cut open, and the warranty card and registration info was missing??.... That kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I immidiately sent an email to the site that I purchased it from and they said....

"Thank you for your order and email.

We sincerely apologize for your inconvenience. We have checked our records and have found that you are the first owner of this camera. We know that some manufacturer's have stopped putting in warranty cards. We advise that you call Nikon to check.

Thank you"

the camera packing (aside from that packet) appeared untouched...the body was packed very well. I'm very sure the camera is new, but its like someone removed the card?? ...

Either way I registered my camera on support.nikontech.com... ?