5d/2 video mode and shutter life

EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited December 18, 2008 in Cameras
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I am curious what effect the video mode on the new 5d does to the shutter life. My assumption is that the shutter is open during the entire video capture so it is not eating up actuations. Is this correct?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:
    My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I am curious what effect the video mode on the new 5d does to the shutter life. My assumption is that the shutter is open during the entire video capture so it is not eating up actuations. Is this correct?

Yes, the shutter is open the whole duration of a video capture. I am not sure about any stress the shutter might incur as a result but unless you are doing a ton of video I have to imagine that the life of the shutter is probably not seriously affected.

I am more concerned about heat dissipation of the imager itself affecting the life of the imager during video capture. Using large imagers for video is a relatively new technology and we just don't have much long term data to go on, although Olympus has had "Live View" imagers for some time now and there doesn't seem to be a major history of problems.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums