Options

FTP, gripes...

12346»

Comments

• Options
    olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    devbobo wrote: »

Just wanted to say that this is unacceptable. A 3rd party application with traffic charges -- this is not what I signed up for. I signed up for a flat-fee service.

I don't mean this in a denigrating way to the smugftp developer. Just the opposite, I have utmost respect for him -- illustrating that one person in his spare time can implement the much requested feature that's being rejected by SmugMug is great! I understand that he has to charge for traffic to make this work, and if I was using SM for business I'd definitely be his client (while being even more upset with SM for not providing this basic functionality). But I'm not going to pay per-MB to share my baby videos & photos with family and friends.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    And upload nightmares continue. Posted details in the "Bugs" sub-forum where other people were complaining about the same problem. If only SM supported FTP I wouldn't have to deal with buggy uploaders at all...
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    I just wanted to say that my upload problems are probably over.

I finally figured out how to use the API, and made a command line uploader. I recently got a new wireless router (Asus RT-N16) which I flashed with Tomato firmware, getting myself an ultra low power always-on Linux server (for only $50!). So now I throw photos and videos to upload onto the router, and run a script to upload from there. Works great.

This router is fantastic. Probably the best router to run the open-source firmwares (lots of RAM and Flash, good CPU, doesn't overheat, and very common -- all developers seem to be developing and testing with this model). Has 2 USB ports, works fine with a USB hub (I have two large thumb drives, a 2TB external hard drive (NTFS formatted; spins down when not used), and a printer connected to it). Works great as a generic Linux server, with Samba, FTP server, ssh access, etc etc. Even has a BitTorrent client which I haven't tried yet.

The command line uploader I got is really this FileUpload for SmugMug, fixed up to use the latest API (the original there doesn't work any more), and made to use perl StreamingUpload module, so that the whole file doesn't need to be loaded into memory. Pretty simple, really. If anyone's interested, I can share what I have, but it's not ready yet for a public release. There's several things I need to figure out before making it public: how to properly deal with it being based on someone else's work (I think giving proper attribution is sufficient here; I've emailed FileUpload's author but got no reply yet), whether/how to bundle with that StreamingUpload module, better output and error handling, etc. If anyone wants to take what I have and make it public-ready, be my guest. (Maybe even a SM employee would like to take this under his wing? mwink.gif)

And of course if only SM supported FTP, I would've had a fast reliable upload from my router working 6 months ago with no development effort.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I wish SmugMug supported FTP as well. Then I could use "Total Commander" for my uploads, which supports FTP. It's sorta like a dual pane windows explorer, but does a whole lot more. You can get it at http://www.ghisler.com/ . It is shareware, but is fully functional with a nag screen when it first starts up. If you purchase it, which I have, you get a file to copy into the program directory that eliminates the nag screen in the beginning. I use it for just about everything! I open a destination directory on one side, pop in my memory card in the reader and open that on the other side and right click on all the files and click on copy and watch all the files get copied over. You can set it up to open your favorite viewer/editor when you click on a file. It also does batch renaming, which I use as well. As I said earlier, it also supports FTP! When you use that feature, when you login to a site, the directory structure is displayed on one side, and you just open the directory with your files in the other. It allows you to create/delete directories, and delete or upload files. And it works in both directions as well, meaning you can download via FTP as well. It would be a blessing if SmugMug would support FTP, as I would be using "Total Commander" exclusively!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    I liked Total Commander quite a bit after the first few times I used it. Reminded me of a windows version of an old dos file utility call The File Director.

I think you should be able to use TC with smugftp. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!