HDR of Bamburgh Castle

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in Landscapes
An HDR of Banburgh Castle put through Photomatix. Comments welcome.
Regards
Bob

439085789_WeuHk-L.jpg

Comments

• AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    I like the castle and the not overdone HDR I don't really care for the pole and the wires running across the road to me it is a distraction. I think I may try to use a sharpness adjustment as well

Ray Still
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008
    I like the castle and the not overdone HDR I don't really care for the pole and the wires running across the road to me it is a distraction. I think I may try to use a sharpness adjustment as well

Ray Still

Thanks for looking Ray. I agree with what you say about the pole. I should have tried to remove it.
    Bob
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 18, 2008
    It's a lovely scene, but the composition doesn't quite work for me. (Is that a contradiction?) Maybe because the road and fence doesn't quite lead the eye toward the actual castle. Then there are too many competing elements. The road is more prominent than the castle. Maybe if you'd called it The Road to Bamburgh Castle. :D I guess I'd like to see the castle featured more prominently.

There appears to be a yellow cast as well. I realize it was probably shot at sundown, but I might have tried adjusting the WB some. Don't hate me, I really like it otherwise.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2008

Ray Still
    +1
    edited December 19, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    +1

Thanks Joel, these are the type of comments I really do appreciate so I know where I can improve my shots in future. I only seem to realise the defects when they are brought to my attention, and I agree entirely with everything you have said.
    Regards
    Bob
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I agree with kdog, the scene looks backwards with the way the fence and road run. For HDR try blending different unsharp mask levels. I like a stonger USM for clouds to really bring them out and then another level for buildings and yet another for grasses and ground cover. I make a background copy in PS do the sharpen for one set, then erase the area I don't want sharpened then flatten and rinse and repeat for each USM.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    hi bob, try reducing luminescence a point or 2 ,looks a little bright.
    as mentioned clone the pole out.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited December 19, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    hi bob, try reducing luminescence a point or 2 ,looks a little bright.
    as mentioned clone the pole out.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Thanks Peter and Phil I will have a go at that and see how it turns out.
    Regards
    Bob
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    The castle is excellent. I am learning from comments too!
    Angela
    edited December 19, 2008
    spechtal wrote:
    The castle is excellent. I am learning from comments too!

Hi Angela I am pleased you are learning something cause I am struggling. It is a good job we have some great helpers hopefully to get us through this.
    Regards
    Bob