Snow Day!

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in Landscapes
It was supposed to snow here yesterday. It didn't. It wasn't supposed to snow much today. It did. There was no snow at 3:30 AM, and by 5:30 AM, we had about 4-5 inches (I'd do the metric conversion, but that involves math).

To those of you in areas where it snows frequently, five inches of snow around Seattle is roughly equivalent to 3 feet of snow anywhere else (in terms of the panic, news coverage, and general inability to deal with it in a rational manner).

So, I cashed in a vacation day (playing bumper cars on the ice rink that is the freeway did not sound appealing) to take advantage of this rare occurrence and walked to Bellevue Downtown Park for some photos at sunrise and sunset (not that you could see the sun, but I heard somewhere that's the best time to take photos).

#1:

439236681_BZ2Ab-L.jpg

#2:

439237497_cSfRW-L.jpg

#3:

439233847_a6MiQ-L.jpg

#4:

439234435_43iPP-L.jpg

#5 (the benefit to getting to a park at dawn on a weekday with new snow: no footprints! OK, there were some, but they were easily cloned out):

439031975_uMKYN-L.jpg

#6:

439032216_PRWDu-L.jpg

#7:

439033618_q7UYC-L.jpg

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    These colours are surely amazing and stunning !!! clap.gifwings.gif :ivar
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Nice shots Ron. I especially like the last two.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Nice shots, Ron!! thumb.gif

They almost make me miss the snow... almost...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Nice shots Ron. Be careful out there today on the roads and sounds like more to come starting late Saturday night and all of Sunday.

Ray Still
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Cameras work in snow? eek7.gif Hey that's eight more months of the year for photography without flying somewhere :D

Nice set. I also like the last two best. The one with snow blowing by the light is pretty cool.thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ron you sure know how to do it!
    great work! is this a area you have done before? it seems you have alot of the compositions down for sure...
    #7 is amazing.
    of course i think they all are great!
    i can feel snow hitting my ear with #6 :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Nice shots Ron. Be careful out there today on the roads and sounds like more to come starting late Saturday night and all of Sunday.

Ray Still

Crazy weather for this area... Fortunately I can walk to just about everything so I don't have a need to drive anywhere (except for photos...).
    edited December 19, 2008
    Cameras work in snow? eek7.gif Hey that's eight more months of the year for photography without flying somewhere :D

Nice set. I also like the last two best. The one with snow blowing by the light is pretty cool.thumb.gif

Thanks! The main reason I got a weather-sealed body was to shoot in the rain, works pretty good in the snow too :D Pain in the butt wiping off the lens (polarizer actually) after every shot, but otherwise not too bad.

Now if I could find a 5D MII in stock somewhere...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Gorgeous, Ron. I can just hear the silence from this end! :D
    edited December 19, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    These colours are surely amazing and stunning !!! clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

Thanks, the purples really come out at dawn and dusk, only for about 10-15 minutes though.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    The color images are great but that B&W is downright stunning. thumb.gif
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ron you sure know how to do it!
    great work! is this a area you have done before? it seems you have alot of the compositions down for sure...
    #7 is amazing.
    of course i think they all are great!
    i can feel snow hitting my ear with #6 :D

Thanks Aaron, I've shot at this park twice before, once in 2005 a few weeks after I got my first camera, and again last year for a day during the snow.

I went twice yesterday (dawn and dusk), and the second time I had more keepers. I'm a high volume shooter, from when I start to when I finish I'm continually clicking the shutter, so you can be sure there's a bunch of crappy comps too, but they help me find the good ones :D
    edited December 19, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    The color images are great but that B&W is downright stunning. thumb.gif

Thanks Travis, I still am not comfortable in black and white, and usually the only time I do it is to salvage a shot where I don't like the colors :D In this case, the lights in the park had gone out and there wasn't much color, but I liked the composition so I converted it to black and white using my own custom black and white conversion method (add a black and white adjustment layer and fiddle on the controls until it looks like crap, then remove it and try again).
    edited December 19, 2008
    Thanks!
    Everyone else, thanks for the comments! Snow is pretty rare at sea-level around here, so I always get a little excited when I see it (and then, after a week of not being able to use my car, the excitement diminishes...).
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Beautiful
    Angela