Options

Do you do this?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited December 22, 2008 in Technique
I am just curious as to how many have seen/heard of/used the technique of zooming (in or out) while taking a photo. Has this been around for awhile? Do people generally like this effect?

Here are a few shots of mine that I did in downtown Portland:
403099062_KFWDx-M-2.jpg

403095312_XFwHa-M-2.jpg

403093832_zD2eU-M-2.jpg

And one from out by Beaverton area:

387616064_w8oT8-M-5.jpg

What do you all think about this effect? I've tried it a couple different times (obviously) and hadn't really heard much about it. But lately have seen a couple threads where either people have mentioned it or did it.

So...thoughts?
Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I've done one in daylight. Haven't managed to get off my behind to give it a go at night, but I think there's something there to explore :D

Here's my shot:

209156469_yYhj5-L.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I've done one in daylight. Haven't managed to get off my behind to give it a go at night, but I think there's something there to explore :D

Here's my shot:

209156469_yYhj5-L.jpg

This one almost gives you motion sickness... :puke1 Cool!

Malte
  • Options
    AvhAvh Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2008
    I am just curious as to how many have seen/heard of/used the technique of zooming (in or out) while taking a photo. Has this been around for awhile? Do people generally like this effect?

Here are a few shots of mine that I did in downtown Portland:
    403099062_KFWDx-M-2.jpg

403095312_XFwHa-M-2.jpg

403093832_zD2eU-M-2.jpg

And one from out by Beaverton area:

387616064_w8oT8-M-5.jpg

What do you all think about this effect? I've tried it a couple different times (obviously) and hadn't really heard much about it. But lately have seen a couple threads where either people have mentioned it or did it.

So...thoughts?
    Thanks...

I like the first best. Even with the effect, it's still clear somehow. You must be using quite long zoom to get this effect?

If compared to Pyry's shot, Pyry did not change the focal length that much.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    This one almost gives you motion sickness... :puke1 Cool!

Malte

It lives and moves on its own, I know :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Avh wrote:
    I like the first best. Even with the effect, it's still clear somehow. You must be using quite long zoom to get this effect?

If compared to Pyry's shot, Pyry did not change the focal length that much.

I like the first there as well, it looks sort of like a flash shot with shutter dragging, I'm guessing you held it for a while and then zoomed out.

Mine only has about 1.5x (I think, can't remember any more) of zooming in it, any more was just a blur.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    Quantum3Quantum3 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Cool!
    Nice pictures, That was the first thing I did when I got my first camera, I thought I was the first JAjaj, and that was in the year 2005! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Good job on the images. I started playing around with this back in '82 when I got my first SLR. As long as it is not overdone, it makes a nice addition to the portfolio.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I first learned how to do it back in HS......in the mid 70's....eek7.gif It's a cool technique, but not easy to get good results. I found it works best on a push-pull zoom lens; rotating zoom collar seems to take too long and hard to keep the camera centered.

Here's a couple of my examples (these were from last year):
    209007919_jMn59-M-1.jpg

209008715_iCSDp-M-2.jpg

209010514_TDrVD-M-2.jpg
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    Gotchya. Yeah hadn't really heard of it much, but I found it out not too long ago. I'm fairly new to photography (did a year long study in my 8th grade class ('97/'98) and then nothing serious till the last year and a half or so) and know almost nothing about it's history. I love your third picture. I tried doing this with a portrait once, handheld though and didn't get great results.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008

So...thoughts?
    Thanks...

I have been doing photos for a very long time (couple hundred years or so....:D) and that technique has been in books since the first zoom lens was developed......it wasn't as easy at first cause the zooms were not one touch (meaning you could not zoom and focus at the same time...had 2 separate rings for focus and zoom.....like the new ones now)....with the introduction of one touch zooms the technique was used more and more....tehn the lens companies decided no more one touch zooms stating they cost way to much to mfg'er......what a load of bull but then came auto focus....and taht was even better (and worse in somecases) tahn a one touch zoom as you could hold the shutter in focus position and keep zooming ....lock the focus and zoom for efffect ....

I stopped doing it as it was costing me dearly for film....hell I even shot a few rolls of 2 1/4 film with this technique and sent it off to a PRO lab for processing and got a whole thesis on things wrong with my camera, lens and my settings too boot.......the lab people had no idea that the shots were supposed to be like that.....

I also found a company called Spiratone (out of business for many years now) that had a whole plethora of center spot zoomy filters and I bought a bunch....they are fun and a whole lot easier than zooming the lens....

I once watched a guy try to do this technique using the foot zoom method with his 50mm lens...he backed into a curb and fell flat on his kester....

a push pull zoom is reall y the only way to go....rotating zooms take to much time and can cause a lot of vibration even when tripod mounted.

you have some really good examples.......and Pyry's seems to be alive and moving on my screen....way too cool...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    This technique is based on keeping the camera body stable and zooming the lens in or out. That is what is usually seen.

There is another way of doing it, but it is harder to do well, that Marc demonstrated in Utah.

Using a zoom lens that zooms with a rotating collar, hold the collar stable and rotate the camera body..... This can produce some interesting graphics at times. Give it a try!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    This technique is based on keeping the camera body stable and zooming the lens in or out. That is what is usually seen.

There is another way of doing it, but it is harder to do well, that Marc demonstrated in Utah.

Using a zoom lens that zooms with a rotating collar, hold the collar stable and rotate the camera body..... This can produce some interesting graphics at times. Give it a try!

Hmm. Very interesting. I'll have to give that a try. I was trying some things today with, instead of changing the zoom, I would change the focus mid picture. Added a bit of, Bokeh?, to the photo. It wasn't true bokeh obviously, but it gave that effect, but in quite a different way. Fun stuff to play with.

How do these types of photos go though with more fine art type photos? Even portraiture or anything? Is this something that a customer or something would buy? Is it marketable? Or just one of those "cool" things that you can do to post on here and get some cool comments on?
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    As Art mentioned, its a techinque that's probably more fun to practice with digital hardware. You can immediately review your work and adjust as necessary.....rather than wasting a bunch of film (and processing costs..). mwink.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    I gave this a technique a shot a little while back when the lights of downtown weren't reflecting off the harbor very well. As mentioned by others the rotating zoom cause's a lot of vibrations. Though some of that could also be helped by upgrading from my $10 tripod... rolleyes1.gif

Here's the best 2 from the night...

2553554295_772e50c23c_o.jpg

2553554347_b428a50471_o.jpg

I think you've got better, cleaner shots, I especially like the 1st one, but it's definitely a fun technique I plan on revisiting! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    It's a nice effect. To me, it's better if there is something that remains a focal point.

244659189_UkeqD-L.jpg