Family photos

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in People
took a trip to see my family and snapped these shots.

I am thinking I need one more flash. I have one on an umbrella, one on the camera bouncing off the ceiling. One behind (a bit hot I think) for hair lights.

cc welcome

439343530_fCiSo-M.jpg

439342491_DLpKw-M.jpg

439340484_hTJHN-M.jpg

439346820_dTnJG-M.jpg

439345488_ab4Yi-M.jpg

this is me in the last one
439349129_HkBiY-M-1.jpg

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I like the lighting in these, Josh. The hairlight doesn't appear to be too hot. I love the closeness that you captured in these too. It's always nice to see the photographer being photographed as well. Good job.:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    These are pretty well lit, but 15524779-Ti.gif - the hair/rim light is a bit hot, maybe a stop (+/-). But, I don't think I would loose any sleep over that.

These are goodthumb.gif. Thanks so much for sharing.

Oh, BTW - in the first one, it took me looking at this a number of times before I realized that the gentleman in the back row, left wasn't "W". Must be the fact that I'm posting before I've had my first cuppa.:D
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ok, I am somewhat of a newbie, particularly to the technical aspects of photography. So take my comments with a grain of salt. But I am big on posed portraiture details...

As far as the lighting goes, I think it looks fine. I don't think the hair light is hot at all.

In the first, there's a plant or something in the lower left corner. And the girl on the opposite side has a lot of wrinkles in her shirt. I am also not sure about her expression...but then again, it adds interest, so for me it could go either way. Also, I might suggest having the two on the outside edges place their hands on the shoulders of the older couple.

I really like the second, the only thing I might suggest is having the couple clasp their outside hands. It wouldn't be in the picture but would add some lines that might make it more visually interesting

In the third...major reflections on the glasses. Maybe think about having her pop out the lenses, or perhaps try tilting the glasses just slightly to get an angle without so many reflections. And I personally would have changed the pose so that it was different from the older couple, but that's more a personal preferance thing I think.

In the fouth, you have stacked heads. Having the two in the back take a step to the right would have staggered them better. Same with number 5.

And I like the last one. I have such a hard time getting myself behind the camera, it's nice to see others accomplish it.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ok, I am somewhat of a newbie, particularly to the technical aspects of photography. So take my comments with a grain of salt. But I am big on posed portraiture details...

As far as the lighting goes, I think it looks fine. I don't think the hair light is hot at all.

In the first, there's a plant or something in the lower left corner. And the girl on the opposite side has a lot of wrinkles in her shirt. I am also not sure about her expression...but then again, it adds interest, so for me it could go either way. Also, I might suggest having the two on the outside edges place their hands on the shoulders of the older couple.

I really like the second, the only thing I might suggest is having the couple clasp their outside hands. It wouldn't be in the picture but would add some lines that might make it more visually interesting

In the third...major reflections on the glasses. Maybe think about having her pop out the lenses, or perhaps try tilting the glasses just slightly to get an angle without so many reflections. And I personally would have changed the pose so that it was different from the older couple, but that's more a personal preferance thing I think.

In the fouth, you have stacked heads. Having the two in the back take a step to the right would have staggered them better. Same with number 5.

And I like the last one. I have such a hard time getting myself behind the camera, it's nice to see others accomplish it.
    You may be a newbee to the technical aspects, but you sure did nail the posing issues (OK, that makes me sound like I think I'm some sort of expert -well, I'm still learning, every day!). I read you comments and scrolled back to the photos and I'm thinking to myself (over and over again), "She's right - I missed that, and that and that!" Especially the "stacked heads" in #4 and #5. But, yes, good call on all the comments!
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    You may be a newbee to the technical aspects, but you sure did nail the posing issues (OK, that makes me sound like I think I'm some sort of expert -well, I'm still learning, every day!). I read you comments and scrolled back to the photos and I'm thinking to myself (over and over again), "She's right - I missed that, and that and that!" Especially the "stacked heads" in #4 and #5. But, yes, good call on all the comments!
    Thanks!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008

Good comments. thanks for sharing. Welcome to Dgrin