One HDR and one not - more New Mexico

ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited December 20, 2008 in Landscapes
5 exposures .5 stops apart. I use PS's (or Adobe Bridge's) Merge to HDR command, then gently tone map with the Photomatix PS plugin.

This was a gorgeous day with banks of clouds marching across the sky from the NW. We sat here with the camera on the tripod for about 30 minutes waiting for a break in the clouds to light that cliff face for us. I've taken better scenery shots, but I like what the HDR process did for it.

The location is on US 64 west of Tierra Amarilla about 20 minutes or so. This a scenic turnout to view the Brazos Cliffs. It's an impressive formation and apparently a good rock climbing spot.

419098091_t86do-L.jpg

Next, is the reconstructed church and campo santo at San Ildefonso Pueblo, New Mexico. There are 19 Native pueblos in New Mexico, all similar, but each with a different look and character and divded between two major language groups (Kerese and Tewa). San Ildefonso is a "living" pueblo with an open feel and most buildings in good shape. I think they charge me $3 for the camera pass.

419103198_o5HGm-L.jpg

Comments

• spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Very beautiful, especially #2.
    Angela
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    HDR good job - am big fan of photomatix !
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Both are very nice I think #1 does it for me a little more than #2 nice work

Ray Stll
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    Been to Brazos cliffs many times on two wheels. Love that spot.

Nice rendering you have captured
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Been to Brazos cliffs many times on two wheels. Love that spot.

Nice rendering you have captured

15524779-Ti.gif

I'll ride 100 miles out of my way just to ride over that pass thumb.gif
    Randy
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 20, 2008
    Nice shots and I agree that #1 steals the show. It reminds me of Half Dome. Excellent job on the processing.

Do you find that 5 shots at .5 EV intervals gives you better results than does say 3 shots at 1 EV? I've never heard of anybody using such tight bracketing before and haven't seen any basis for it in any of the reading I've been doing. On the other hand, one cannot argue with results, and your picture looks great. Hence my curiosity.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Beautiful ; shots Scoupe. The layers on that HDR are fantastic as well as the clarity and color. clap.gif I had the same thoughts as Joel, and curious about the HDR bracketing.
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Really nice work all around on these! hard to pick a a favorite, but # 2 seems to hold my eye a little longer for 1 reason or another ;) The Layering as said above in #1 is killer!

Best,
    Jay
  • ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Thank you for all the kind words.

However, I'm embarrassed. I did bracket 1 stop for 5 exposures. Not sure how I got .5 in my head.

I do prefer 5 and 7 exposure runs, although I'll sometimes throw out one or two exposure in the mid ranges. I posted a church interior in the Cool Shots sub forum that was a 5 shot run that I used only three of - the two extremes and the -1 exp. I'm still very much in the discovery and note taking mode with HDR.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    clap.gif Amazing !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery