Options

Blanket adjustment in LR2? ProPhoto to sRGB compensation

HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited December 23, 2008 in Finishing School
I've now gone through and individually adjusted some 300 photos from an event I shot. Each is how I want it, but when I exported the images from LR2 into the sRGB space to load to SmugMug all of the images are slightly darker than they were, as though I'd lost some exposure or brightness.

Unfortunately I can't just quick develop an exposure adjustment to one representative image and then sync it with the rest -- the sync exports the actual number, not the adjustment itself, and considering the exposure adjustments already in place on these photos vary significantly the results, well, vary significantly.

How can I apply a blanket adjustment to my photos? i.e. +10 brightness to all, or +1 stop exposure to all? I'd like to apply the adjustment then review to see where fine tuning needs to take place.

Is there a guideline for adjusting a photo for export from ProPhoto to sRGB?

Thanks!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    More than one way to skin this cat....

1. Auto Sync will take the changes made to one photo and apply those changes to all of the other photos you've selected.

2. In the Develop module, use the copy button and select the settings you'd like to paste to the other photos.

Sorry, not able to suggest any guidelines for you.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    In LR2, develop one image of a group of images (that were all shot in the same identical lighting} to your satisfaction.

Right click on your image, Develop Setting > Copy Settings.

Select all your images by clicking on one and shift-clicking on the other end of the group to highlight them, and then right click on the group - Develop Settings > Paste Settings and your editing changes are done to the entire group in just a few clicks.

There should be no need to make changes your edited images (displayed in Lightroom) to go to Smugmug if your monitor is calibrated and the images uploaded are sRGB jpgs. They should be very similar to your images in Lightroom, unless you are using extreme gamuts of color and saturation.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Hyperiate wrote:
    Is there a guideline for adjusting a photo for export from ProPhoto to sRGB?

All final processing is done in ProPhoto RGB primaries (with a linear tone response curve). Adjust images in LR totally independently of the final output space (there is no soft proofing).

When you want an sRGB iterative image, you simply export and select that color space. It will be converted from ProPhoto RGB (TRC 1.0) to sRGB or any color space you select for export (or the three options in Open In Photoshop preferences).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/