Options

Mask Levels

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 19, 2008 in Finishing School
I have CS3 and I am having a wee bit of trouble sorting out the procedure for different mask layer levels for ie:- USM for clouds to really bring them out and then another level for buildings and yet another for grasses and ground cover. I would appreciate if anyone could guide me towards a tutorial for this, if at all possible.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    This is better handled with Curves, I believe, Bob.

Type ctrl-j to make a copy of your background image. 12096243_x9NuV-L.jpg

Create your selection with Quick Selection tool, Magic wand, Pen Tool, or use Quick Mask and paint in the selected area. Then Layer>New Adjustment Layer> Curves. Pull the curve in the dialogue box up or down as needed, and hit OK. ( If you desire, you can just adjust a single R, G,or B channel to adjust color, instead of the composite RGB channel all at once, but this can be little more challenging to start with )

439627430_SWjmA-L.jpg

158570806_L748L-L.jpg

Now you can adjust the opacity of the corrected layer using the Opacity slider and you are done.

60040909_axpAE-L.jpg

CTRL-E will collapse the layers back to a single layer at this point if that is desired.

Are you familiar with Kelby Online Training, Bob? I think you might find it quite helpful. I use it frequently, myself.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    This is better handled with Curves, I believe, Bob.

Type ctrl-j to make a copy of your background image. 12096243_x9NuV-L.jpg

Create your selection with Quick Selection tool, Magic wand, Pen Tool, or use Quick Mask and paint in the selected area. Then Layer>New Adjustment Layer> Curves. Pull the curve in the dialogue box up or down as needed, and hit OK. ( If you desire, you can just adjust a single R, G,or B channel to adjust color, instead of the composite RGB channel all at once, but this can be little more challenging to start with )

439627430_SWjmA-L.jpg

158570806_L748L-L.jpg

Now you can adjust the opacity of the corrected layer using the Opacity slider and you are done.

60040909_axpAE-L.jpg

CTRL-E will collapse the layers back to a single layer at this point if that is desired.

Are you familiar with Kelby Online Training, Bob? I think you might find it quite helpful. I use it frequently, myself.

Oh that is really great Pathfinder and I really appreciate your help. I am pleased to say I can fully understand what you have said and I have used curves on occasions. I will certainly have a look at Kelby Online Training and once again a big thanks.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    I am glad to be of help, Bob.

"Curves" offers a degree of precision throughout the luminous spectrum that Levels cannot begin to match in Photohshop.

I am glad my explanation was helpful, as I just cobbled it together with previously collected images from previous posts.

I use the Quick Selection( under the W key ) tool a lot IF I need the precision - prior to CS3 I might have used the Pen tool.

If I do not need that degree of precision, like just for a sky adjustment, I will use the Quick Mask technique, which is very quick and easy once you grok it. Hitting Q brings up the Quick Mask view, hit the B key with black as your fore ground ink at 100%, and paint over the area with a large, very soft edged brush that you want to select. Type Q again, and the pink "masked area" disappears, with the selection outlined in "marching ants" and you have your selection. You can add top this selection with the other selection tools, and then do your editing to your selection.

Layers and Masks are the real reason for Photoshop today, for me, as everything else I do in Lightroom2.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am glad to be of help, Bob.

"Curves" offers a degree of precision throughout the luminous spectrum that Levels cannot begin to match in Photohshop.

I am glad my explanation was helpful, as I just cobbled it together with previously collected images from previous posts.

I use the Quick Selection( under the W key ) tool a lot IF I need the precision - prior to CS3 I might have used the Pen tool.

If I do not need that degree of precision, like just for a sky adjustment, I will use the Quick Mask technique, which is very quick and easy once you grok it. Hitting Q brings up the Quick Mask view, hit the B key with black as your fore ground ink at 100%, and paint over the area with a large, very soft edged brush that you want to select. Type Q again, and the pink "masked area" disappears, with the selection outlined in "marching ants" and you have your selection. You can add top this selection with the other selection tools, and then do your editing to your selection.

Layers and Masks are the real reason for Photoshop today, for me, as everything else I do in Lightroom2.

Thanks ever so much Pathfinder, one cannot ask for anything more than what you have produced and I have printed out everything you have told me and will remain by my side for quick reference. and thanks once again for the extra tuition which I am sure you know I more than appreciate.
    Regards
    Bob