Options

Saving history / snapshots in CS3

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited December 21, 2008 in Finishing School
Is there a way to save the snapshots / history with a PSD file in CS3 ??

Cheers

Dave
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 20, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Is there a way to save the snapshots / history with a PSD file in CS3 ??

Cheers

Dave

Wouldn't that be nice. I was amazed the first time I tried saving as a PSD and discovered that the history was gone. It makes you wonder why the bloody PSD is so huge, and what advantage it has over just saving as a TIFF? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 20, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Wouldn't that be nice. I was amazed the first time I tried saving as a PSD and discovered that the history was gone. It makes you wonder why the bloody PSD is so huge, and what advantage it has over just saving as a TIFF? headscratch.gif

Does a layered TIFF save masks or blending mode/opacity settings? I would think those are proprietary data. headscratch.gif

Although it is not nearly as convenient as the live history, enabling detailed logging can help reconstruct what you have done and does not consume a whole lot of space.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 20, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Does a layered TIFF save masks or blending mode/opacity settings? I would think those are proprietary data. headscratch.gif
    So PSD saves all that stuff? Ok, you're teaching me something here. I use only a very limited set of layer functions and have never thought to save them. Is there such a thing as a "layered TIFF"? I didn't know that either. I thought it was strictly a flat image representation.

Still, it would be nice to be able to checkpoint the exact state of a PS session, so that the history is there without trying to recreate it. It sounds like I'm not alone is getting confused by exactly what the PSD is useful for. Admittedly, I'm a fairly novice PS user. So your insights are helpful as always, Richard.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    While it can't get you all the history, one thing you can add to your work flow is to use adjustment layers.

As an example if you simply apply levels or curves to your image, and then save it as a psd, or tiff, the adjustments you made are baked into the saved image, and you can't back step, or know exactly what you did.

If you use an adjustment layer it is saved with the psd, or tiff file, and you can open it up exactly where you were when you used it. You can backstop, and or modify from your starting or ending point.

I hope this helps.

Sam

ps: This doesn't add a lot to the file size.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    The current TIFF format can be used as a complete substitute for the PSD format as far as I can tell. Adobe is able to save layers etc. into TIFF. Some people like to use TIFF so that they know other apps can read it. You might be forced to use something other than TIFF if your file gets to be bigger than TIFF or PSD can support, where you would use PSB instead.

TIFF files with ZIP compression can be smaller than PSD, but the catch is that they take a lot longer to save. If I am impatient, I will save as PSD when frequently saving, then for space savings, archive as layered TIFF when I'm done.

As for saving history/snapshots, the other posts are right on. You can't save history/snapshots, so the more you can encode your edits in nondestructive ways (masks, adjustment layers, Smart Objects, Smart Filters, Smart Objects of raw files) the more you can back yourself out of any edit.

If you use Camera Raw 5.2 in Photoshop/Bridge CS4, you can now save snapshots within Camera Raw (but still not in Photoshop).
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Great replies, I didnt think I could but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Got to Preferences,click on General and the following dialogue box opens up. Check the History Log as shown, and the Edit Log Items as Detailed, and you will have a detailed log of your edits. It will not save snapshots as your work along though. Save the file as a psd, and it will have all layers and alpha channel selections saved as well.

440291985_3jHmH-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin