Print issues

Robert JamesRobert James Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 27, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I recently had a very upset customer who received dark, brownish, scratched pictures off my site with Smugmug.
Until now, I have had no problems (that I've heard of).

Went to a local printer (lost all my profit that way) who maintains it was because I save the images as AdobeRGB instead of sRGB and checked “true” instead of “auto” color.

Does this sound right?

When I asked Smug Support about this, they blamed it on my monitor and said “As you probably already know, it's a bit of a tough time of year to get good, quick prints.” My monitors are calibrated every two weeks.
I still think someone should have checked these before they went out the door.

How do I need to save them, etc. to make them look good?

Comments

• mleemlee Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    I recently had a very upset customer who received dark, brownish, scratched pictures off my site with Smugmug.
    Until now, I have had no problems (that I've heard of).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Went to a local printer (lost all my profit that way) who maintains it was because I save the images as AdobeRGB instead of sRGB and checked “true” instead of “auto” color.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Does this sound right?
    When I asked Smug Support about this, they blamed it on my monitor and said “As you probably already know, it's a bit of a tough time of year to get good, quick prints.” My monitors are calibrated every two weeks.
    I still think someone should have checked these before they went out the door.
    How do I need to save them, etc. to make them look good?
    This sounds like not such a good reply.
    I'm investigating.
    edited December 20, 2008
    Hi Robert, we replied with that sentiment to one of the three mails - it's just GrannyRobin's way of saying, it's busy!

Then Hero Steph replied 2x to you explaining the situation. The photo is indeed, dark. Too-dark is the #1 reason for True Color returns.

20081220-jn9assxr14bycb1e7bj9976m65.jpg

Monitors can lie. Our eyes can fool us. But the histogram never, ever, ever lies :D See how underexposed your photo is?

Now, let's see how good it looks after it is run through [url=http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-red
    ]SmugMug Auto Color[/url] :D

20081220-bqe8kayi44grk8syxeywsf1r5s.jpg

Would you like us to reprint this for you? We guarantee everything, of course no charge :)
  • Robert JamesRobert James Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2008
    OK, Auto color it is! Dang you are good.

I got the prints from the customer last night, and they seem to be quite a bit darker than the image shown above (plus the scratch)...

However.

1) I will check the histogram from now on
    2) I will save in sRGB from now on
    3) Switched over to auto color to catch anything I miss (this was one of those "you have 15 minutes and I need it by tomorrow" customers--so I wasn't as careful as I should have been).

Can we all still be friends? mwink.gif
    edited December 21, 2008
    OK, Auto color it is! Dang you are good.

I got the prints from the customer last night, and they seem to be quite a bit darker than the image shown above

Prints are always darker than what you see on the screen - reflective (prints) vs. backlit (screen).
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Prints are always darker than what you see on the screen - reflective (prints) vs. backlit (screen).

Can I disagree with you Andy? I always select true color and my prints come out just as good if not better than what it looks on my monitor.

I printed this picture, along with others, so I can have to show clients how the smugmug prints will look like (clients LOVE the online picture ordering). I printed a sample 4 x 6 of this image

420513367_vgcoH-L.jpg

And it looks totally amazing. I can meet with you to show you the print. I believe my color profile in my camera is Adobe RGB 1998, buy my Nikon does have the option to save to sRGB.

So you recommend we work in the sRGB space, as opposed to aRGB? I want my prints to totaly own. What do you recommend?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited December 27, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Can I disagree with you Andy? I always select true color and my prints come out just as good if not better than what it looks on my monitor.

Good. Then you are set up very well thumb.gif

sRGB for the web and for our print lab please.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998