Options

How does my camera do that?

saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited December 21, 2008 in Finishing School
Just a simple question, which nevertheless has me stumped. So I take a whole bunch of pics and then look at them in Adobe Bridge (I am using a Nikon D300 and before that, a Nikon D70). Some of them are shot vertically, some are shot horizontally, and some even diagonally.

Adobe Bridge knows which shots were taken how and displays my horizontal and vertical shots correctly, no rotation needed. Is it the software or my camera that picks up on this? Adobe Album Starter does the same thing. But how it does this is a mystery to me, how would Adobe Bridge know which way I held the camera when I took the photo :scratch...? Can anyone solve this for me?
all that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream
- Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    I think whether you shot in vertical or horizontal mode is remembered by the camera an it's embedded and recognized.

For Canon's you can enable it or disable it as well.
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I think whether you shot in vertical or horizontal mode is remembered by the camera an it's embedded and recognized.

For Canon's you can enable it or disable it as well.

Yeah, but how is this recognized? Is there some sort of sensor in the camera that knows which way you hold it? And, how would that work, technically???

By the way, if I open in say, Corel, it does not not recognize this and all shots are displayed in the horizontal position.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Normally I would imagine there is some sort of tiny gyro in the camera body itself that knows when the camera is tilted one way vs. the other. But being in that one program they all show up landscape, I couldn't tell ya.

It's called magic. It just happens. It's wonderful. Problem solvedrolleyes1.gif.

That's about all I got.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Even better with the G9 and G10 ( but not with the DSLrs unfortunately ) when you review images on the LCD which is oriented in a landscape orientation on the camera body, if you rotate the camera to a portrait orientation, images shot in portrait orientation will be displayed in the full screen of the LCD rather than compressed to fit the vertical dimension of the landscape mode of the LCD.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Yes, cameras typically have a built-in orientation sensor, even my point and shoot from 4 years ago. Maybe they are better now, but mine is easy to confuse if I point the camera at something straight up or straight down.

The orientation detected by the sensor at shot time is recorded in the camera EXIF data, which is read by your software, right alongside the shutter speed, aperture, etc data. When you rotate an image in software like Bridge you are overriding what the camera recorded. If you turn off the feature in the camera (sometimes called Auto-Rotate) all the photos will be recorded as horizontal and you will have to rotate vertical shots yourself.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Just a simple question, which nevertheless has me stumped. So I take a whole bunch of pics and then look at them in Adobe Bridge (I am using a Nikon D300 and before that, a Nikon D70). Some of them are shot vertically, some are shot horizontally, and some even diagonally.

Adobe Bridge knows which shots were taken how and displays my horizontal and vertical shots correctly, no rotation needed. Is it the software or my camera that picks up on this? Adobe Album Starter does the same thing. But how it does this is a mystery to me, how would Adobe Bridge know which way I held the camera when I took the photo headscratch.gif...? Can anyone solve this for me?

http://www.components.omron.com/components/web/PDFLIB.nsf/0/F8EBDDB7A51A229C8625730D0076401A/$file/D6BN_0307.pdf

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Sorry, forgot the note. It looks like this and is very tiny - smaller than a tack. It detects orientation and records this information within the camera files.

d6bnt.jpg

Low Profile Micro-Tilt Sensor
    Devices uses Hall Effect technology, which is bounce-free
    Ideal for PDAs, cell phones and test equipment, digital and video cameras to change aspect ratio automatically; also replaces mercury switches in portable space heaters and game machines such as pinball games

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Even better with the G9 and G10 ( but not with the DSLrs unfortunately ) when you review images on the LCD which is oriented in a landscape orientation on the camera body, if you rotate the camera to a portrait orientation, images shot in portrait orientation will be displayed in the full screen of the LCD rather than compressed to fit the vertical dimension of the landscape mode of the LCD.

Not entirely true. On my 40D, now my 50D, and a couple Rebels Ive played with, there is an auto rotate feature in the menu so that a vertical photo can be displayed to fill the entire screen.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    I thought maybe I had missed something, so I picked up my 40D. Yes, I do have autorotate "on" for camera and "on" for computer, but it does not display like the display on my G9.

If I shoot in portrait mode with my 40D, it will rotate the image to fill the LCD display on the camera, but then I must rotate the camera to see it, it will not rotate it real time as I look at the display AND rotate the camera from landscape to portrait orientation.

My G9 will always have an image shot in portrait mode displayed vertically on the G9's LCD. IF I rotate my G9 from landscape to portrait, an image shot in portrait continues to be displayed vertically no matter whether the G9 is held in portrait or landscape and when in portrait orientation, the image is enlarged to fill the screen. My 40D does not seem to do this, I wish it did though.

When I rotate the 40D then image in the display rotates with the camera, it is not stable vertically real time,
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin