Options

Photoshop on cross platforms?

flo123flo123 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 22, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I've always been a PC type of gal and have used Photoshop on my PC desktop for years. My current PC desktop is in fine working condition and has CS3 and some programs that I use for photo editing like Proshow Gold for my slideshows. I also have a laptop that has just been replaced with a brand new Macbook Pro.

So here is my dilemma ...I want to upgrade to CS4. I don't use the desktop that much anymore but now that I have a MAC I know I won't be able to use Proshow on the laptop. Anyone know if I can upgrade to CS4 on my desktop then ask for a new CS4 MAC version for my laptop to replace my old PC laptop photoshop version? I know they let you have Photoshop on two computers...would hate to have to pay full price instead of an upgrade price just to replace the program on my laptop.

My alternative is to install windows on the Macbook Pro but then I would have to buy a windows program and use bootcamp...not even sure how well that would work compared to having a MAC version on my new shiny Macbook :-) If anyone has that setup I would be interested in hearing their comments on how it works.
...entering into the MAC world is a bit alien to me :dunno

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Not sure what to tell you. I can tell you that Parallels or VMware have virtual machines that allow you to run windows on your MBP. However, I'm not so sure you would want to do that with PS.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Why not just call Adobe sales and ask? I think you would be better off running native versions on both machines, more because of avoiding administrative hassles than because of performance issues.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Not sure what to tell you. I can tell you that Parallels or VMware have virtual machines that allow you to run windows on your MBP. However, I'm not so sure you would want to do that with PS.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I kind of thought that always using the Windows version of Photoshop via Parallels or VMware on the MBP would be a bit painful but I wasn't sure since I never used that configuration before nor know anyone personally that has.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Why not just call Adobe sales and ask? I think you would be better off running native versions on both machines, more because of avoiding administrative hassles than because of performance issues.

Thanks, I agree with you - I am leaning towards just requesting Adobe to switch me to the MAC version so it's native...just seems to make the most sense. The only problem I've found is that when you request this they make you destroy your Windows version and you are not allowed to use it anymore which would mean I would not be able to use my PC desktop for any photoshop tweaks when I'm making my slideshows with Proshow Producer (which isn't available in a MAC version). But I guess I can work around that somehow - I don't use the desktop that much anyway...just for slideshow making...:cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    flo123 wrote:
    ...The only problem I've found is that when you request this they make you destroy your Windows version ...

Well then you have an answer. If you need two copies, you have to buy a second copy for your mac.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?