Digital developing with chemicals is better?

Quantum3Quantum3 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited March 8, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi, I'm Øuantum³ and I'm looking about printing methods, devices, how all the digital enviroment interacts with a harmonized workflow.

I have read plenty of things like, HDR Inks, K5 Inks, iRiS printers, dynamic range of printeres, monitors, gamma, gamut, profiles, calibration, papers, matching, minilabs and the like...

I'm asking:

Is it more easier developing digital with chemicals, as I have heard it's commonly done in minilabs? Minilabs doesn't needto spread the patterns in order to achieve low density colors/shades, from shadows to highlights, the dynamic range of chemicals are quite wide excepts for the brightness, they look a bit desaturated.

Which is better, developing digital images with chemicals (keep in mind some minilabs has a narrowed gamut than others, same with paper) or by using cutting edge printers?

And what about grey scaled images? What about the behavior of color profiles with grey scaled images and monitor?

I think most affected image are the greyscaled ones, but I don't know exactly why, since 3 channels are actiavated when doing greyscaled images in the proper manner (mixing channels).

Okay, those are my doubts... Will appreciate the replies :)

Thanks in advance!

س

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 28, 2008
    Thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Quantum3Quantum3 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Thread bump

What does that mean?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    Quantum3 wrote:
    What does that mean?

An unanswered thread slips in the rankings and slowly falls off the front page of a sub-forum. When that happens, it becomes almost unseen by others. A thread bump brings it up near the top where potential responders can more easily find your question, which helps its chances of being answered. Typically, only a moderator should perform thread bumps.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 8, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    An unanswered thread slips in the rankings and slowly falls off the front page of a sub-forum. When that happens, it becomes almost unseen by others. A thread bump brings it up near the top where potential responders can more easily find your question, which helps its chances of being answered. Typically, only a moderator should perform thread bumps.

Well, thank you very much :) Really apreciated... Nobody replied so far, but you ^^ Attitude is what matter most :)

I have been told that photographic paper only supports 4,5 E.V. of dynamic range, but I guess that's too little... I was trying to find an answer through Google, but nothing. I don't know how to search about this topic... For example: "Photographic Paper EV" (with and without the quotes) gives whatever results, mostly shops... :(

Thanks a lot for the thread bump :)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    Quantum,

I think most fine art photographers, who print their own work, print with either Epson, Canon or HP 6-12 ink inkjets. They typically print a few dozen prints daily at most on white inkjet photo paper with archival pigmented inks. Marc Muench uses a large Canon printer. Michael Reichman uses both HP and Epson printers in his gallery. I think the choice of tools is less important than the skill they are used with these days, as the tools, if properly used, are all very capable.

Minilabs do use photographic paper that is illuminated via the digital information in a file, and then developed by standard photographic color chemistry. If you are going to print thousands of images a day, this is the current industry formula.

Unless you plan on being a minilab, I would suggest sticking with modern inkjet printers. While the newer version of inkjet inks have significantly expanded their color gamut, most of the professional level inkjets with at least 8 inks make very excellent images, whether Canon, Nikon or Epson.

I print with an Epson 3800, unless I need prints wider than 17 inches.

Many working pros prefer to have a minilab do their printing as this allows them to spend more time shooting and less time in front of a computer and a printer. They do not have to worry about ink drying out, printers wearing out, and all the things that are necessary to commit ink to paper.

Ink jets can make lovely grayscale images with the proper paper profiles. Some printer drivers are better than others for grayscale images. ImagePrint is one that many fine art pros favor for grayscale images, but the OEM drivers keep getting better and better.

The dynamic range of paper as a reflective medium is always going to be quite a bit less than a lighted monitor.

You should watch this video I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

Another thing that might help answer many of your questions more convincingly for you is to attend a printing workshop with Marc Muench or a one on one printing workshop with Michael Reichman.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Quantum,

I think most fine art photographers, who print their own work, print with either Epson, Canon or HP 6-12 ink inkjets. They typically print a few dozen prints daily at most on white inkjet photo paper with archival pigmented inks. Marc Muench uses a large Canon printer. Michael Reichman uses both HP and Epson printers in his gallery. I think the choice of tools is less important than the skill they are used with these days, as the tools, if properly used, are all very capable.

Minilabs do use photographic paper that is illuminated via the digital information in a file, and then developed by standard photographic color chemistry. If you are going to print thousands of images a day, this is the current industry formula.

Unless you plan on being a minilab, I would suggest sticking with modern inkjet printers. While the newer version of inkjet inks have significantly expanded their color gamut, most of the professional level inkjets with at least 8 inks make very excellent images, whether Canon, Nikon or Epson.

I print with an Epson 3800, unless I need prints wider than 17 inches.

Many working pros prefer to have a minilab do their printing as this allows them to spend more time shooting and less time in front of a computer and a printer. They do not have to worry about ink drying out, printers wearing out, and all the things that are necessary to commit ink to paper.

Ink jets can make lovely grayscale images with the proper paper profiles. Some printer drivers are better than others for grayscale images. ImagePrint is one that many fine art pros favor for grayscale images, but the OEM drivers keep getting better and better.

The dynamic range of paper as a reflective medium is always going to be quite a bit less than a lighted monitor.

You should watch this video I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

Another thing that might help answer many of your questions more convincingly for you is to attend a printing workshop with Marc Muench or a one on one printing workshop with Michael Reichman.

Wow... I just wondered what happened with all the threads I opened and I found that the subscribe option is not cheked, so I have to go to my CP and see what I have posted and I found your AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! REPLY!!!!!!!

Thanks so much, Pathfinder!!! Your description is solid and perfect! bowdown.gif Thanks so much for this reply, and sorry for the delay!

Thanks a lot!!!

Mart :)