Why should IS be "off" when using tripod?

RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited December 22, 2008 in Cameras
I am shooting indoor macro this winter, and have read from various sources (and my Oly E-3 manual says) to turn IS "off" when mounted on tripod. I understand turning horizontal IS off when panning, but why turn any of the IS off when shooting still on tripod. I shoot a lot with center post set to horizontal, so there invariably is some latent movement out there at the end of the beam, so why not use IS to counteract? I have thus far left IS on for still shooting on tripod, and shots appear sharp at screen size, but haven't yet processed at 100% size in PS, so maybe I'm fooling myself. Thoughts?
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    If you use IS on a tripod, the IS system will get confused.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Here is one the better explanations that I have ever read on the subject from someone at Canon that know a things or two......

Canon’s Chuck Westfall explains it well:

“The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system’s detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there’s not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic ‘feedback loop,’ somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we’re all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place.”

This may or may not apply to the Olympus system that you are using - but I thought that I would throw it out there anyway...
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    IS shakes to compensate for shake. When there isn't any shake, it still shakes causing blur.
  • RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Thanks to all of you. It may be that the Canon concept regarding moving lens groups doesn't apply to the Oly in-body moving sensor, but since the E-3 manual says to shut IS off when using a pod, possibly it does. "Threshold" I guess is the important term here, do I get enough shake with the camera 10" or so out on a horizontal center post to trigger the desired IS response (not so little movement that the IS is "confused")? My macro rig is only about 3 lbs, E-3 body and Zuiko 50mm (100mm equiv) f/2.0 lens (small lens, 4/3 helps), and legs/head are Manfrotto 190CXPRO3/ReallyRightStuff BH-40, so small load and solid support, but the load still is hung out there so inevitable vibration does occur. I think my proof will be to PS some existing shots at 100% to see in finer detail exactly what I got leaving IS on, and take it from there. I'll post the conclusion for whoever's interested.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    I am glad I took the time to read this and I have confirmed that all of my cameras advise to turn off IS if using a tripod, at least now I know why. It does make sense.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    I think Canon at least tries to make their stabilizers detect mounting to a tripod and stop - but it doesn't quite work, it's still best to turn IS off.

Tripods hold the camera rigidly enough to push the IS into a feedback loop - the system was designed to be held by something rather more soft and squidgy so the corrective movements are simply set up wrong for a tripod.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    So if you get invest 500$ more in IS version of 70-200 it will act like non IS version if you use monopod ? headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    So if you get invest 500$ more in IS version of 70-200 it will act like non IS version if you use monopod ? headscratch.gif

Monopods are another story I believe. I don't have one so I can't test, but I've heard that you can keep IS enabled on a monopod.

As for tripods, yes, IS is of no use.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/