Options

White Atamasco Lily and Blended DOF

gmitchel850gmitchel850 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Finishing School
Here's another holiday flower. A white atamasco lily. This shot also uses three stacked shots to extend DOF.

whiteatamascolily.jpg

I started in ACR 5.2. I selected the shots and then clicked on the Tools | Photoshop | Load Into Photoshop Layers menu item.

Inside Photoshop CS4, I used Edit | Auto-Align Layers with the Auto Projection option and then Edit | Auto-Blend Layers with the seamless Tones and Colors option. That stacked the layers and blended them.

After I stacked the shots in Photoshop CS4, I used the TLR Professional Sharpening Actions. TLR HRDC Capture Sharpening, TLR Clarity Enhancement. After recducing the photo to 1000 pixels wide and converting to sRGB, I used the TLR Web Output Sharpener.

This was shot under natural light with a Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 180mm "L" Macro Lens, Gitzo tripod, Kirk BH-1 ball head.

The pistil for the flower extends well in front of the stamens. The stamens also varied in height. No way a single exposure, even at f/32 could get the DOF necessary when I was about 18 inches from the pistil of the flower. You'll see that even the pollen grains on the pistil are sharp. ;)

Comments are welcome.

Mitch

Comments

• Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Here is the result with 4 shots:

whiteatamascolily2.jpg

It is a big improvement with regard to the pollen on the white petals. I had to take the photo down to 12 x 8 at 240 ppi and 8-bits per channel for this.

Given that I used +2 exposure compensation, I pretty well nailed the exposure and I am also happy with the color. So, I foresaw no serious problem with 8-bits per channel.

What do you think? A significant improvement, isn't it! ;)

Cheers,

Mitch
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Tutorial on Extending DOF with Photoshop CS4
    Last week I posted a couple of examples of DOF blending with the Photoshop CS4 Auto-Align Layers and Auto-Blend Layers commands. One was a white hydrangea. The other was a white Atamasco lily that made a composite of four shots.

I promised a video tutorial. I'm still intended to do that. Probably next week. In the interim, I have produced a PDF tutorial (around 20 pages altogether) in a new layout.

www.thelightsright.com/ExtendingDOFWithPhotoshopCS4

What's different about this tutorial is that it has lots of practical advice as well as a description of the technique.

Comments about the technical cntent and about the new layout are welcome. :)

Best wishes for the new year!

Mitch
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    An 18 minute video on this technique is now available.

http://www.thelightsright.com/ExtendingDOFWithPhotoshopCS4Video

Enjoy!

Mitch