Options

Post processing advice

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited December 22, 2008 in Finishing School
Spent a day at Bush Gardens, unfortunatly it was pretty over cast so things were flat. Trying to refine my post photo editing and I am looking for suggestions and advice.

Original:

440692596_aahdY-M.jpg

Tweeked: Adjusted levels, added a little saturation, took out a little of the blue and increased contrast a little. Oh, and burned surrounds a bit.

440622744_q9nKB-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    I think you did fine. I just I simply used this curve to set a white point, a black point and increase contrast a bit - here is the curve
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    And here is the result with the above curve and sharpened with a High Pass filter at ~ 6 pixels and a Soft Light Blend

I did not crop it to match your edit.

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Roadkill wrote:
    Spent a day at Bush Gardens, unfortunatly it was pretty over cast so things were flat. Trying to refine my post photo editing and I am looking for suggestions and advice.

Original:

I think your biggest problem is that you didn't remove the cast sufficiently. You recognized that there was a blue cast to it, but you didn't go far enough (you didn't mention how you removed it).

I focused on the "white" fur, which may not actually be white, but shouldn't be "cold" (green or blue). I set the following sample points:

440767131_7JzNw-L.jpg

The second sample point (in the fallen branch) also shouldn't be too "cold", but it might be a little.

Using the LAB numbers on the Info palette, I'm reading negative in either A or B or both, meaning green (negative A) blue (negative B) or both (negative both). For your fixed version, I'm seeing improvement in the fur, but still areas of coldness, meaning colors that can't be correct.

As a first approximation, just try to make the fur white, which means equal numbers in R, G, and B. Using the Info palette as a reference, the R is too low and the B is too high for the fur. Adding a Curves adjustment layer, and calling up each of the R and B curves, clicking on the sample points, and dragging the R higher and the B lower:

440766836_utYu7-M.jpg
    440766557_oKmR9-M.jpg

Finally, changing the blending mode of the adjustment layer to Color (so that the curves don't screw up the contrast, but only change the color)

440766726_7J2ry-S.jpg

This is the result:

440768812_KTStt-L.jpg

There is more you can do with this image (and if you want, I'll be happy to take a shot). But this demonstrates how much you can get just be getting rid of the cast.

Very nice shot, by the way.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    jjbong wrote:
    There is more you can do with this image (and if you want, I'll be happy to take a shot). But this demonstrates how much you can get just be getting rid of the cast.

Very nice shot, by the way.

Pathfinder did some of the other things I alluded to, although I think a bit too harshly (de gustibus non disputandum). But if you get the ideas (remove cast, set white and black points, and get contrast into the interesting part of the shot), you can apply it to get a picture that's pleasing to you.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    :duel

• Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Thank you very much for the input and the screen shots are very helpful in getting a better understandingclap.gif

I dont quite have photoshop down yet, so much of the corrections I make are through the simpler menus IE: image/adjustments/color balance.

But from your descriptions you have given me some direction and I shall give it a go.