Kids-n-Santa at Senior Center

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited December 22, 2008 in People
I love my kids' school. I mean, I really do. They go above and beyond consistently and excellently. Especially my daughter's kindergarten teacher. We have had her for 2 years and she is just one incredible lady. I feel so lucky to have her influence on my kids. In this instance, she arranged for all the children in Kindergarten and First grade to sing Christmas carols for the elderly at the pioneer home- and then as a surprise and reward arranged for Santa AND his reindeer to show up and delight both the young and old.

1. The kids sang really great! I was amazed, and I'm not usually impressed by kindergartner's singing, LOL! 440722125_jahXi-M.jpg

2. The children made home made Christmas cards and gave them to the folks who came out for the show. One man was especially getting a kick out his...
440717253_ooXZv-M.jpg

3. Then what to my wandering eyes did appear....
440717671_B3Cbe-M-1.jpg

4. Out came two men and two reindeer...
440717572_LN9pn-M.jpg

5. If I could remember more of that poem I would insert it here... (Just pretend, okay)
440718271_dujpG-M.jpg

6. She is apparently a little suspicious of jolly red elves with slipping fake beards.

440717783_3AUJX-M.jpg

7. When asked what he wanted for Christmas, this little boy said he wanted a snow machine... we can all dream, huh.
440718020_Fh72G-M.jpg

I know, I know... Just what you all wanted to see- more Santa Photos.
C & C if you wish.

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Hi Heather,

I know what you mean about good teachers. If you are lucky enough to have one for one of your children, you know what a huge difference they can be!

#1 - I love the perpective of this shot - from the point of view of the seniors. I wonder how it would look with a little more DOF to bring the kids a little more into focus?

#2 - Nice job in capturing the emotion. I probably would crop a little tighter on the right.

#3 - Nice title - all of the wandering eyes are focused...

#4 - Looks like something came out of the 2nd reindeer too!:yikes

#5 - "With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick."

#6 - "More rapid than eagles, his courses they came,
    and he whistled and shouted and called them by name: " Sorry got carried away. Great capture of the interplay.

#7 - Not a fan of this one.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Beautiful as always! I especially love the first one - really poignant.

My daughter's dance teacher does something similar at old folks' homes and it's always wonderful for both groups - something about the very young and very old together that brings out the best in both.

We've never had any reindeer though - gawow!

thumb.gifthumb
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    I am inserting my reply in with your comment in bold italics:
    Mike J wrote:
    Hi Heather,

I know what you mean about good teachers. If you are lucky enough to have one for one of your children, you know what a huge difference they can be!

#1 - I love the perpective of this shot - from the point of view of the seniors. I wonder how it would look with a little more DOF to bring the kids a little more into focus? Yes, I would love that too. But I was attempting to get exactly what I got. I just went a smidgen too far.

#2 - Nice job in capturing the emotion. I probably would crop a little tighter on the right. I def. agree. I didn't crop it for print-

#3 - Nice title - all of the wandering eyes are focused...
    Thanks- this is one of my favs. Especially the little guy in the back. So cute.
    #4 - Looks like something came out of the 2nd reindeer too!:yikes
    Yes, you should have heard the giggling that came with it...

#5 - "With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick." Hey, not bad! You must have learned it in 2nd grade. (My other daughter has spent the whole last week perfecting it...)

#6 - "More rapid than eagles, his courses they came,
    and he whistled and shouted and called them by name: " Sorry got carried away. Great capture of the interplay. Thanks! She eventually warmed up and gave him a smile, but I loved her expression in this one. His beard eventually fell off his lip completely...

#7 - Not a fan of this one. Sorry! I just love the little guys expression and look of reading a list in his brain. He has the longest eyelashes too. I can see what there is not to like though... Cut off hands for one... you probably don't like the processing- that was an experiment to be honest. Good to have feedback. Muchos Gracias.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Hi Heather,

Yes - the PP threw me a little bit as well as his eyes being closed. Without the complete context of reading a list in his brain, it looks like he was blinking. Knowing the context puts in all in place!:D Thanks!
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Beautiful as always! I especially love the first one - really poignant.

My daughter's dance teacher does something similar at old folks' homes and it's always wonderful for both groups - something about the very young and very old together that brings out the best in both.

We've never had any reindeer though - gawow!

thumb.gifthumb

Thanks much! I agree- the elderly always have a special place in my heart!
    And I love to share my kids with them. This was a special moment since my daughter's teacher's parents (got that?) were residents of the home, and were attending with glowing pride in their eyes.

I don't suppose many towns in the world have a reindeer farm in them, but we do. I guess it is necessary to fulfill supply and demand since North Pole, Alaska is only about 300 miles from here. Just a quick fly, really. Laughing.gif.

Thanks for commenting Divamum! Have fun judging the challenges!