Options

computer, internet problem

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I just started having a problem with Internet Explorer 7 on my PC. IE operates fine for a time and then just freezes up and will not open or move to other sites. If I reboot the computer it's back to normal for a while and then freezes up again. I wanted to do a system recovery to a date before some recent updates, but ran into a problem launching the System Restore in that it took a long time from clicking on it to launch and actual launch. Then it would not do the change unless I did it in Safe Mode. But so far that has made IE run okay. I also ran anti-virus and anti-malware. And the System Recovery to an earlier date opened almost right away, so maybe okay. But due to the Recovery, I lost some recent updates.

I am concerned about the updates because that was the only difference in the system that I know of between when IE ran okay and when it started hanging. So my question is about the main IE problem and the new updates. The updates are:

1. Security update for Internet Explorer 7 (KB960714) - labeled as Important
2. nVidia Dilspay Nvidia GeForce 6150E nForce 430 - optional
3. NVIDIA Corporation – Storage – NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller - optional
4. Update for Windows Vista – English (KB937286) - optional
5. Microsoft Security Advisory (961051) - this is for IE and is a new release which my auto download may do on its own unless I turn that off. It is labeled Critical.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,218 moderator
    edited December 21, 2008
    Don't know if you tried yet, but I would always start with deleting cached browsing files and selected (or all?) cookies.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Don't know if you tried yet, but I would always start with deleting cached browsing files and selected (or all?) cookies.

Thanks, David. Yea, I tried those before running the recovery.
  • Options
    KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Do you know if any of your fans stopped working? This almost sounds like it is a heat issue. Take the cover off of you computer and blow a fan at it and see what happens.
    Nathan Deckinga
    Leander, Texas
    http://www.2-dphoto.com
  • Options
    cecaldcecald Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Try another browser
    Have you tried another browser (safari or firefox, etc)? If so, does the same problem persist?
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    First why are you using ANY version of IE? The absolute WORST browser on the planet. That aside. M$ screwed my internet with their latest update on my XP machine.

After a certain amount of inactivity, XP would "lose" my network. Only rebooting would fix it. So I restored to a point before the update and now all is well.

My PC is 4 years old and M$ has made it clear that my next computer will be a Mac, regardless of wether it costs more.

Gene
  • Options
    KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    My PC is 4 years old and M$ has made it clear that my next computer will be a Mac, regardless of wether it costs more.

You could try Linux for free... without installing anything. No MS and less cost, plus it just works.

I'll shut up about my preferred OS now...
    Nathan Deckinga
    Leander, Texas
    http://www.2-dphoto.com
  • Options
    billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Mick,

Back to your original question, I wouldn't skip security or critical updates but I'd pass on the optional ones. I've not had good experiences with some hardware updates from MS, you're better off going to the manufacturer's website and downloading from there.

Set a Restore point manually and then install your #1 and 5 updates, see if everything works. If they cause a problem maybe uninstall/reinstall IE and try again.

Or use Firefox.

HTH,
    Bill
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Kalrog wrote:
    You could try Linux for free... without installing anything. No MS and less cost, plus it just works.

I'll shut up about my preferred OS now...

That would be great if there were any software or hardware that ran on itrolleyes1.gif

Gene
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    billg71 wrote:
    Mick,

Back to your original question, I wouldn't skip security or critical updates but I'd pass on the optional ones. I've not had good experiences with some hardware updates from MS, you're better off going to the manufacturer's website and downloading from there.

Set a Restore point manually and then install your #1 and 5 updates, see if everything works. If they cause a problem maybe uninstall/reinstall IE and try again.

Or use Firefox.

HTH,
    Bill

Thanks, Bill. That's pretty much what I did after getting the system to reset to a previous time; I installed the critical only updates and all seems fine at the moment.

I do have Firefox but don't use it much. I've had problems with certain phot websites on Firefox.