What's the max. ISO I should use with a D300?

cryptochromecryptochrome Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited December 28, 2008 in Cameras
800 or 1600? I think I shouldn't go higher. but is 1600 still good or would you consider this too much?

Just started to build my SmugMug galleries:
http://cryptochrome.smugmug.com

Comments

• EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Just ask yourself if it looks good. There is no rule.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    go to DP REVIEW and scroll down his page and there is a very good comparison shots at the different iso's [from 800 - 6400]........iso 3200 can look decent and usable but for me the shots I have seen at 6400 are unusable.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:
    Just ask yourself if it looks good. There is no rule.
    15524779-Ti.gif

It seems a simple answer, but I think it's the only correct one. You will have to be the judge on wheter or not you find the noise acceptable. Make sure you properly expose the images in camera, that seems to help a good bit, too.

Everyone has different standards on noise. Personally, I don't really care too much about it. Especially in print, it will be a lot less visible anyway.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    The Max? Right off hand I'd say the max on the camera....just sayin:D

But set up and do test shots yourself. I did that with my D300 when I got it a couple of months ago and was surprised at how much noise there was until I learned to adjust the camera and aid it in not picking noise up. After I adjusted it, I could easily do acceptable Still-lifes at ISO 2k.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    I use at least 3200 in my DSLR, but usually no higher than 200 in my P&S. But there are always lots of exceptions. I have used 800 in my P&S and sometimes, 400 is too high in my DSLR.

The final answer, really, is shoot a few frames at various ISOs, and make some prints, and then you will know the answer for yourself.

Your wants and needs of your images are likely to be quite different from other shooters, so why let them make that decision for you?

An architectural photographer may not accept any grain and want a very long subtle gray scale, while a shooter of punk bands in dark bars may want very grainy, high contrast images. Their favorite ISOs may vary quite a bit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cryptochromecryptochrome Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:

But set up and do test shots yourself. I did that with my D300 when I got it a couple of months ago and was surprised at how much noise there was until I learned to adjust the camera and aid it in not picking noise up. After I adjusted it, I could easily do acceptable Still-lifes at ISO 2k.

How did you adjust it?

Just started to build my SmugMug galleries:
    http://cryptochrome.smugmug.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Turn the Menu on. On left icons use the camera icon. Then Set picture control. Choose Neutral or select right and then you can go into the control area that allows you to adjust individual things about the setting you chose.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Here's a 100% crop of a shot I took at ISO 3200. Converted from RAW with NO processing. Not sure what the camera noise reduction settings were.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2682234005_19527b5cfc_o.jpg
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    A lot depends on "other" factors. Are you cropping the image? The more you crop, the more you will notice the noise.
    If you use noise reduction in the camera along with software during editing.
    Overall, you should be pretty safe at 3200 with the D300.
    Steve

Website
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    I think for myself that I could live with shots at 3200 ISO, however, for me I think that a faster lens is required to assist with shooting at 3200 ISO.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I think that a faster lens is required to assist with shooting at 3200 ISO.

15524779-Ti.gif The max is where you lose control eek7.gif As Ziggy said, kind of, correct exposure is the holy grail, for least noise and all other good things. Correct exposure is the end result of the photographer knowing what they are doing, having control. As bosco0633 said, kind of, you gotta know how to use a lens to expose correctly (among many other things), any and all lenses you have on your camera, and each exposes differently. EG go to bed with a Canon EF35mm 1.4L and see what perfectly complexioned low light babes you can produce!

So don't concern yourself with an abstract number, but with knowing and controlling your gear to get the result you want.

In my case, I reach my limit long before my gear does mwink.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix