what's the general advise for buying a macro lense?

cryptochromecryptochrome Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited December 23, 2008 in Cameras
What should I look for? Should it have a minimum length? Zoom or fixed? Nikon system....

Or can I just buy any quality macro lense and be set?

Just started to build my SmugMug galleries:
http://cryptochrome.smugmug.com

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    What should I look for? Should it have a minimum length? Zoom or fixed? Nikon system....

Or can I just buy any quality macro lense and be set?

First look at the type of macrophotography you will be doing. If shooting more static objects, indoor, still life type stuff, a shorter focal length might be good (I use a 60mm f/2.8). But for me I tend to like more wildlife macrophotography, where getting that close to a bug or spider freaks me out, so I will be upgrading to a 100mm f/2.8. If I had the money, they even make a 180mm, but it's only a f/3.5, but it is an L (I shoot Canon btw). It just really depends on the type of macrophotography. I believe (and could be wrong), that most true 1:1 macro lenses are fixed focal lengths, although some zooms do say "macro" in the focus distance ring. Just be cautious of the MFD (minimum focusing distance), the focal length for the type of shooting you will do, aperture, then do some research on each specific macro noting build quality, focusing speed, sharpness, chromatic abberations, etc...
  • cryptochromecryptochrome Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Say I am just interested to get into it and I am not really sure yet what my objects will be. You mention 60, 100 and 180's. So would I be safe saying a 100 would be a good alrounder to get me going and be set for most situations? I am not scared of bugs, btw :D

I assume I can use a macro (fixed length) lens for other purposes as well, right?

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Say I am just interested to get into it and I am not really sure yet what my objects will be. You mention 60, 100 and 180's. So would I be safe saying a 100 would be a good alrounder to get me going and be set for most situations? I am not scared of bugs, btw :D

I assume I can use a macro (fixed length) lens for other purposes as well, right?

I'd say if you're not too scared of bugs and don't want to spend a whole bunch the 60 range is good. If you don't mind spending a little more money, then yeah, the 100 would be great for starting out. I don't k ow what sizes nikon offers, but they are usually pretty similar.
    edited December 22, 2008
    Thanks.

Anyone got any specific recommendations for a good Nikkor Macro in the 100 focal length area, preferably VR?

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Thanks.

Anyone got any specific recommendations for a good Nikkor Macro in the 100 focal length area, preferably VR?

I use a sigma 105mm and works very well. I know it is not nikkor but Lord V in the macro forums used this lense a lot and turned me onto it. He is a macro god. VR should be turned off anyway.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    That would be the Nikon 105, and if you're doing macro, then you'll do it better on a tripod. I have the non-VR version

nikon105mm.jpg

And a few shots with it:

what_is_it.jpg

timex04.jpg

butterfly_01sep07_0042.jpg

Thanks.

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Think Nikon makes an excellent 105mm f2.8 macro with a VR.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&shs=NI10528GAF*&Q=&ci=1&A=search
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    if really wanting to get into macro photography take a look at the GIOTTOS line of tripods....with a center column that can be repositioned to horizontal or other degress of H...they make some really good tripods......I would be looking into Sigma lenses also.....I have used sigma to shootthe world as their ad stated.....or alt least my world.....I have 2 non sigma lenses for 35mm cams 1-a vivatar 70-210 ser.1 and a fujinon 135mm........but all the rest have been sigma as for me they gavethe best for $'s.................If I were looking I would be looking into the sigma 150 or 180mm....due to the working distance....getting real close can cut off real necessary light from the subject so a greater working distance can help eliviate this problem........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    The Nikkor 105 VR, which I've only heard good things about, has already been mentioned. It should be said that VR/IS is great when you're using the lens for portraits, or low light photography, but won't be a lot of help with macro, since there are a lot more variables at close range than it can correct for. For macro you need either good ambient light, a tripod (or some other kind of support), or a flash.

I've yet to hear of a macro lens, be it ~60 ~100 ~150 or ~180mm, that isn't a fantastically high quality lens. The only thing that sets most apart is the focusing mechanism and build quality, never optical quality, which is pretty superb among fix-focal "macro" lenses. Basically if it's a 1:1 macro lens, you really can't go very far wrong. As for focal length, I agree that 100mm or so will be ideal if you're not sure the application.
    edited December 23, 2008
    Thanks for your input guys. I will make myself a holiday gift and get me the Nikkor 105 VR :D And I Tripod.

Cheers and have a great holiday everybody.