Options

DIY small softbox

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 25, 2008 in Technique
After I looked at this item online this morning I decided to try and make my own softbox. I found quite a few designs online that other people have done which gave me loads of ideas, but I didn't have any of the stuff to hand and no opportunity to get it today, so thought I'd try to make one with stuff I already had, if only to see if I could. It was one of those, "Hmm... what do I have in the house that I could try this with?". In case it's of use to anybody else, I took some snaps as I did it (posted below)

Of course, I've only tried a few test shots with it and so am not entirely sure how effective it will be (?!), but the few snaps I took definitely were more diffused and more attractive (although I may also add a second piece of tracing paper (or sheer fabric) when I get the chance to soften it even more. Given it's so small (approximately 8x10" front panel), I figure it needs all the help it can get...)

Even with the mistakes from trial and error total time to make it was about an hour, and total cost of "new" items required were 2 sheets of Walmart 33c foam, and I happened to have those lying around so net cost to me was zero.

The only cardboard we had was an empty carton which had housed a 12-pack carton of seltzer. I split it down thhe middle of one of the long sides (not at the fold) so that I could manipulate the card into the trapezoidal shape I associate with SB's and stapled it and the short sides into an approximate frame (you can see the edge of the box where I folded it round on the lh side, and I used that handhole as the starter for the hole on the bottom where the flash goes)

IMG_1432.JPG

I then cut out a front

IMG_1434.JPG

I then cut a hole in the bottom so the flash can be inserted that way

IMG_1436.JPG

Looking at the ones I saw online, I guessed that the inside needed to be lined with white. I used some of the craft foam I had lying around because it gave the (thin) cardboard a bit more stiffness without weighing it down.

IMG_1435.JPG

I then cut a strip of black foam approximately the same length as the perimeter of the opening

IMG_1437.JPG

I snipped into the edge so that I could fold those up to attach it to the cardboard (and allow it go round curves - nice to know the knowledge gained in those years of sewing has more uses than just making garments!) and then I hotglued it into place (as well as hot glueing the seam where it joined itself)

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

I also trimmed and shaped the front a bit so that there's a cutout and none of the sensors are blocked.

IMG_1445.JPG

I originally thought I would add velcro tabs to the collar and flash, but that was cumbersom, so I'm currently just holding it in place with the infamous ball bungee, which works a treat.

IMG_1442.JPG

I will pretty it up with some black (or white) sticky-backed-plastic later, but for the time being here it is:

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

As I said, I've only tried a couple of test shots, but so far so good - I'll give it a real whirl some time over the next few days and see whether it achieves much more than "a bit better than bounced". But it didn't take very long and was kinda neat to make it for zero cost!!! ::feels very proud of self:ivar::

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Looks like a fun, functional DIY project.

*and it is cool that you can get it in any flavor?
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Lets see the fruits of your labor?...as in photos taken with and not of the softdrinks?
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Tin Foil
    The inside of my softboxes have silver reflector stuff inside of them. Maybe you should try some tin foil to line the inside with...
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Lets see the fruits of your labor?...as in photos taken with and not of the softdrinks?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Softboxes - now come in mandarin orange, lemon lime and raspberry! :giggle

I'm still just trying to figure out how to get the blasted flash off the camera within my means right now so I can see if this thing really works or not! I guess I'm gonna have to use a cable, but because I'm all Canon and I'd like to retain ettl, that's still not exactly "cheap". (That said, I still haven't read through all the info on The Strobist on that subject yet so maybe there's a solution still. Here's hoping!)

I'll hopefully get to try it out on folks in the next few days - predictably, we're up to our eyes in holiday mayhem this week, but I suspect I'll either demand family pictures, or alternatively sneak off and work on some more SP's at some point... :D
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    The inside of my softboxes have silver reflector stuff inside of them. Maybe you should try some tin foil to line the inside with...

11doh.gif - I should have thought of that! Talk about obvious. Then again, I've never seen anything other than a picture, so I'll plead ignorance :) The foam has the advantage of stiffening it up a little, of course, but maybe I'll peel back the tracing paper and reline it with foil over that. Brilliant idea!!
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Very creative idea! If you get a chance to run by the fabric store, pick up some ripstop nylon. It works well.

Now my question is...do you have to custom white balance for the mandarin-orange or not? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Softboxes - now come in mandarin orange, lemon lime and raspberry! :giggle

I'm still just trying to figure out how to get the blasted flash off the camera within my means right now so I can see if this thing really works or not! I guess I'm gonna have to use a cable, but because I'm all Canon and I'd like to retain ettl, that's still not exactly "cheap". (That said, I still haven't read through all the info on The Strobist on that subject yet so maybe there's a solution still. Here's hoping!)

I'll hopefully get to try it out on folks in the next few days - predictably, we're up to our eyes in holiday mayhem this week, but I suspect I'll either demand family pictures, or alternatively sneak off and work on some more SP's at some point... :D

Before I bought the STE2, I toyed with the idea of buying a Canon off camera shoe cord and an extention for a pc mouse...plus some fittings to cut the cord and extend it with the mouse cable. I am pretty sure I found the info on that at strobist. You can google...." diy extend canon off camera shoe cord"

Anyway, I never did it. They don't exactly give away the cords, and because of that I didnt see me snipping a new one in half. I figured I could tie a hundred bucks up in the project....or spend another hundred and have what I want.....STE2....off camera...multiuple flash control.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Before I bought the STE2, I toyed with the idea of buying a Canon off camera shoe cord and an extention for a pc mouse...plus some fittings to cut the cord and extend it with the mouse cable. I am pretty sure I found the info on that at strobist. You can google...." diy extend canon off camera shoe cord"

Anyway, I never did it. They don't exactly give away the cords, and because of that I didnt see me snipping a new one in half. I figured I could tie a hundred bucks up in the project....or spend another hundred and have what I want.....STE2....off camera...multiuple flash control.

Yeah, I know - so far, I'm not thrilled by the idea of shelling out for cables that I'll ditch as soon as I can save up enough for the ste2. And if things start to look up for next year (or somebody buys the XT outfit I'm selling :D), that transmitter is the FIRST thing on my list (even before the lens I've been planning)!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    ETTL is great and I love it for its convenience, but for shooting a self portrait it is unnecessary and more complicated than needed. A Canon off camera cord is great ( I have several ) but they are expensive and always to darned short.

IF the flash to subject distance is constant ( and for a studio work it usually is), the exposure parameters never change, so just set your camera to the correct exposure in manual and shoot away.

Either a PC cord, or an optical sensor trigger will both work just fine.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    divamum - I think you did an excellent job with the softbox and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your labor. Really, post up some result shots.

Hey Jeff - what do you think? Use something like this instead of the GF LS for your senior shoots? You won't get comments about carrying around a tupperware bowl. Instead, it'll be questions about what other flavors you light comes in:D
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    divamum - I think you did an excellent job with the softbox and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your labor. Really, post up some result shots.

Hey Jeff - what do you think? Use something like this instead of the GF LS for your senior shoots? You won't get comments about carrying around a tupperware bowl. Instead, it'll be questions about what other flavors your light comes in:D

rolleyes1.gif

Shots to come; probably LOTS in a couple of weeks since ::drumroll:: the XT outfit sold last night which gives me the money to go shoppin' for an st-e2. Off camera flash, here I come!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    I have and love my ST-E2. But a buddy of mine has the Catcus triggers, and they work really very well, and are cheap. I think before I would buy the Canon cord, I would buy a set of Cactus triggers and use those for a while. Just put your flash in manual mode.

Google catus trigger or ebay triggers, lots of links on Strobist. My favorite cheapy camera gear store is Deal Extreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com

(you just gotta get over ordering from Hong Kong!)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I have and love my ST-E2. But a buddy of mine has the Catcus triggers, and they work really very well, and are cheap. I think before I would buy the Canon cord, I would buy a set of Cactus triggers and use those for a while. Just put your flash in manual mode.

Google catus trigger or ebay triggers, lots of links on Strobist. My favorite cheapy camera gear store is Deal Extreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com

(you just gotta get over ordering from Hong Kong!)

That would have been my choice hands down IF the 420ex had manual mode; unfortunately, it is an ettl only flash so I was sorta stuck.... It was either: get an ste2, get a cable, or invest in a new flash/flash setup, none of which were in the budget until I sold the old gear :D
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008

Hey Jeff - what do you think? Use something like this instead of the GF LS for your senior shoots? You won't get comments about carrying around a tupperware bowl. Instead, it'll be questions about what other flavors you light comes in:D

Wel...lheadscratch.gif

I normally forego a diffuser outdoors but...

If I avoid the diet soft drinks and use a crate from "the real thing" would I have sweet light?

mwink.gif

Seriously.....I REALLY don't need to be carrying anything else around on those shoots. I've come pretty close to buying a little red wagon already just to drag all the gear around.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your labor. Really, post up some result shots.

Some not-terribly-scientific tests. I think, in fact, that one sheet of tracing paper isn't enough -two definitely improved the reflections in these items to my eye, and I suspect the ripstop nylon will be even better. I think there's also a case to be made for attaching it from the back instead of the bottom, and that way only the bounce head will need to be inserted - given we will have another empty carton soon, I may try to make a Mark II if I'm feeling ambitious :D

On the plus side, it's very light and barely alters the balance of the camera at all.

In the meantime (sooc jpgs all set at 1/200 @f8, thus no adjustment made for light loss with extra diffusion)

Unmodified flash
    IMG_4118.JPG

TWO sheets of tracing paper
    IMG_4119.JPG

ONE sheet of tracing paper
    IMG_4120.JPG
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    March down to your favorite fabric store and by some ripstop, right now young lady!!!!11eleventy!! It's only about 6-7 bucks a yard, and it works great. My first attempts were with satin for a light tent, someone told me about ripstop and the difference is incredible.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    March down to your favorite fabric store and by some ripstop, right now young lady!!!!11eleventy!! It's only about 6-7 bucks a yard, and it works great. My first attempts were with satin for a light tent, someone told me about ripstop and the difference is incredible.

Yup, I'll be heading out to the fabric store as soon as I get a chance - I was maxed out with my last day of private students today before the holiday, so no TIME yet! Just been using what I have lying around pro tem. I'll post more test shots as i experiment with this in case it's of any use to somebody else on a shoestring budget. It's a no-brainer, really - with the lightweight card of the box, it's actually pretty nifty as far as ergonomics (did I REALLY just use the word "ergonomics" in relation to a soda carton?!) and I am ALL about that price tag. So now I just have to get it to do the job better lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    I'll post more pix and hopefully some samples later, but I will say that black duck tape is a truly wonderful thing :D

Modifications:

- ripstop instead of tracing paper
    - entry from the back - this puts the front of the flash head further back from the screen and thus seemingly better diffusion (in Version 1 it was practically touching the front when it was inserted, which seemed to me to be not quite right....)
    - foam collar wrapped in tape for strength and stiffness (although this makes it harder to load since it doesn't stretch as the foam does, but it will prevent the foam tearing and feels more secure because it's very tightly fitted. If I did it again, I'd simply make the collar slightly bigger on the grounds of the space the tape would take up, but that was a last-minute addition so I'm a couple of mm smaller than would have been optium. That said, it is very VERY secure. Still using the bungee for security too - velcro would also work)
    - flavour options less obvious when box coated with black tape (and it stops light leaks too :) Contact paper would make it prettier but I could'nt find any so compromised. Then again, the duct tape adds strength without much weight so it's possibly a better choice anyway even if it isn't quite as pretty :D.

More as this project continues evolving! wave.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    My thoughts,

-On your sample shots, the shadows are noticably softer on the "with" verses the "without". Not much difference in shadows on the one vs two layer, but the highlights were better controlled on the two layer shot.

-I think it is funny that in the same paragraph where you describe beefing stuff up with duct tape and bungee cords you are describing measurments in "mm".:D

-When you finally do build the MkII, I REALLY think you should put this up for offers in the used gear/for sale threads. Just for fun!mwink.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    -When you finally do build the MkII, I REALLY think you should put this up for offers in the used gear/for sale threads. Just for fun!mwink.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif - If you have some demonstration shots of people or other subjects more interesting than Christmas ribbon and kitchen utensiles (yes, we have a tape measure in our kitchen - TMI?) I wouldn't be surprised if you got a serious offer or two. It would be interesting to see and wouldn't cost you anything to post - no fees like on Ebay!mwink.gif

Oh, and it would be interesting to see a shot of the product as it stands right now. Your description is pretty good, but a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Looking forward to Mark II
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    I would reccomend Budwiser Lite carton...after all...any other light is just a light.

iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    My thoughts,

-On your sample shots, the shadows are noticably softer on the "with" verses the "without". Not much difference in shadows on the one vs two layer, but the highlights were better controlled on the two layer shot.

Yes, that's what I thought too. The ripstop is approximately the same light loss as the 2 sheets as far as I can tell, but with an even larger distrubution fo the light. Hoping to try it out on people at the family gathering this evening where I will have new unuspecting victims who don't run away the minute they see the camera in my hand!! lol3.gif
    -I think it is funny that in the same paragraph where you describe beefing stuff up with duct tape and bungee cords you are describing measurments in "mm".:D

Guilty as charged. American who spent childhood and ~half adult life in the UK so I tend to think in both metric and imperial (fwiw, small increments I always imagine mm - anything larger than about 1/3" and my brain switches to feet and inches - there is ZERO logic to it, but it's consistent in my head!! rolleyes1.gif Drives my British DH up the wall...)

HA! We'll see... I think I'd feel guilty taking money for an old soda box and, while it's not exactly hard, I'm not sure I'm ready to go into mass production ;) That said... headscratch.gif:D

A Happy Christmas to you and your beautiful family!
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - If you have some demonstration shots of people or other subjects more interesting than Christmas ribbon and kitchen utensiles (yes, we have a tape measure in our kitchen - TMI?) I wouldn't be surprised if you got a serious offer or two. It would be interesting to see and wouldn't cost you anything to post - no fees like on Ebay!mwink.gif

Oh, and it would be interesting to see a shot of the product as it stands right now. Your description is pretty good, but a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Looking forward to Mark II
    Yeah, my test shots were delightfully aesthetic, weren't they!??!!? :giggle. I actually grabbed those on-hand items because they were shiny and I wanted to see how the reflections changed. As soon as I get my flash offf camera ::rubs hands in anticipatory glee:: I can seriously experiment with it :D:D:D

Here's where we're up to. The main thing (in case anybody else tries it) is to create the frame a little more accurately than I did and actually measure both sides as the box is wrapped around into the shape so that it's square and level, which this one isn't really (the tape measure may be in the kitchen, but I didn't actually, yanno, USE it except to photograph rolleyes1.gifrofl)

(These were all taken with the pns in between holiday cooking so not exactly high art)

rip stop + taped frame

IMG_1455.JPG

Foam collar at the back, but before I wrapped it in tape for strength:
    IMG_1450.JPG

Taped
    IMG_1458.JPG

On camera with wrapped collar
    IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Samples with results when there are some to share!
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I would reccomend Budwiser Lite carton...after all...any other light is just a light.

iloveyou.gif

Alas, most of our favorite beers come in bottles...without cartons!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    As promised...

Nothing done to these except to run the same "auto contrast" function on both (to keep the comparison as controlled as possible). Would've been more obvious with a light background, but this just happened to be my mom's holiday dinner table :)

Without (check out that shadow under/left of the fruit stand)

xmasdinner08-63-1without.JPG

With (no FEC to compensate for light loss w/box)
    xmasdinner08-62-1with.JPG

Works for me!