changing the exposure manually

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited December 24, 2008 in Cameras
assuem you are in manual with fixed aperture, iso, and shutter speed. When you change the EV value by say +1/3 or -1/3..how does tha camera actually do this:

1) with flash

2) with no flash

I can imagine with flash the camera simply changes the flash length/power by an appropriate amount. But without flash..how? Is it somehow post processed in the camera software? If that is the case then is that no better then PP in PS? Also if it is post processed then it shouldn't be in the raw file? But I think RAW still captures the the +/-.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    I don't have my manul awith me but I just had a thought..EV correction does not work in manual mode right?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    when you are in full manual mode, you can't change the EV, unless i'm misunderstand your question.

EV is used on camera, when the camera has to compute at least one variable (ISO, shutter, aperture). It calculates what it thinks is the proper exposure first, and then ups/downs it by the selected amount (there may be a more technical explanation, but this is how i remember it).

When in full manual, it doesn't have anything to change. You already selected the shutter/aperture/iso. On Canon cameras (at least that ones I have), the button that normally changes the EV, now changes something else, like aperture.

Does this help at all? Did I understand your question correctly?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    I'll have to double check on my d90 maunl when I get home but I think you are correct. you have to be in A,S, or P mode I imagine for the EV correction to work.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    I think you mean "EC" as in "Exposure Compensation" value.

I do believe that most cameras do not allow EC in manual mode.

At any rate changing the EC may not affect flash output necessarily. The "FEC" is used to change the flash output.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    On my rebel XT the Exposure compensation turns into exposure bracketing in Manual mode.

but that does raise an interesting question I will be experimenting with. What does the camera change to bracket the exposure in that case???

of course that is likely the same answer to your question...

I looked at a couple pictures of my christmas tree that i took in manual with exposure bracketing. Looks like it changed the shutter speed.

I know not the actual answer you are looking for but you asked a trick question, we think...