Options

Same Pic, Multiple Print Sizes

a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited December 24, 2008 in Finishing School
How do you all handle this? I'm using PSE6 Mac.

So if somebody wants an 11x14, 8x10, and 5x7 of the same pic, do you save the original as PSD, then crop to 11x14, save as JPEG, close file, open Original PSD, and repeat for 8x10, etc? I've googled and Searched here, but only find processing multiple files automatically. Ideas?
Body: Canon XTi
Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Sizes
    Depends on the camera if you can do that without cropping. I have a Full Frame so my images are 4:3 ratio (8x12 standard)

If you prinvt via Smugmug the cropping tool pops up and you can recrop based on the order. Otherwise, I often will crop and resize to get the print to standard sizes. Actually - a better way to state that is that I try to create my images in Non standard sizes so that I have images for sale that are unsual.

So if somebody wants an 11x14, 8x10, and 5x7 of the same pic, do you save the original as PSD, then crop to 11x14, save as JPEG, close file, open Original PSD, and repeat for 8x10, etc? I've googled and Searched here, but only find processing multiple files automatically. Ideas?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008

It depends on how you're printing them and what tools you have available to you. If you're printing on Smugmug, then just upload an image with some extra space around the main image (e.g. not cropped tightly to start with). When you order each print, you will have an opportunity in the cart to specify the exact crop for that specific print where you will determine exactly which bits get printed for each size.

If you are printing each of them yourself from Photoshop, then you can just crop, print, undo the crop, make new crop, print, undo the crop, make new crop, undo the crop.

If you are print each of them yourself from Lightroom, you can just make two virtual copies of the image and set a different non-destructive crop on each of the three and print those.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    How about sharpening?
    If I want to get optimal output sharpening for different print sizes, should I resize and sharpen for each size I want? Or is there no practical difference until you get to a particular size print?
    Thanks,
    Nick
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    npudar wrote:
    If I want to get optimal output sharpening for different print sizes, should I resize and sharpen for each size I want? Or is there no practical difference until you get to a particular size print?
    Thanks,
    Nick

If you want to control sharpening for each different size, then you need to produce a different image for each size print you want to make. Whether you will notice a difference or not depends upon the image, the print size, your sharpening technique and what you are looking for.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 24, 2008
    As a practical matter, if I am going to print the image myself on my inkjet, I do not make different size images in Lightroom, I simply use my main, largest file, ( as long as there are enough pixels to achieve >240 pixels per inch in my final image size. I let Lightroom2 do my final output sharpening per its automated routine.

If I am concerned about a very large print, then I will uprez with Genuine Fractals 6 first. GF 6 has a sharpening algorithm in it that can be used for large prints as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin