Options

Bay Area Coastal Crawl: The Chase

tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited December 26, 2008 in Journeys
Thanks to April who organized the Coastal Crawl that made these shots possible. Despite being a local, I only drag myself to these places when someone else come to town. The problem was that I couldn't join April, Ann, JC, Sam, Christina, Debbie, and Justin until the afternoon. I had to catch up to them as they went up the coast. Thankfully, April sent regular text messages updating the group's whereabouts. Despite intermittent cellular coverage, she led me to the group at Bean Hollow. When I got there, April told me that I had only 10 minutes to shoot before heading to SF. I managed to take a few shots as the rest was walking toward the cars. The sun was in my eyes. No keepers though.

We raced to Twin Peaks before sunset and met up with Andy, Schmoo, Gluwater and others. I brought only a 24-70mm lens and downtown SF was small through the viewfinder. When I overheard Andy asking to borrow April's Sigma 100-300 lens for a pano later, I volunteered to fetch the lens from the car and used it until I had to surrender it to Andy.

1. This is a pano shot using that Sigma lens.

440803330_wigzK-L.jpg

2. I had so much fun I decided to push the limit with another pano.

440804861_GdT2M-X2.jpg

3. This time, I had to give up the Sigma and use my 24-70. May as well go wide.

440805813_kdtMc-L.jpg

Some of us decided to come back to SF for a sunrise shoot. April wanted to try long exposure shots but arrived a little too late for that. I arrived at Pier 7 at 6am, so there were ample opportunity for long exposures.

4. One from the pier

440800362_Tkbou-L.jpg

5. TransAmerica building

440797724_o7oF4-L.jpg

6. Another one

440797925_fSZM3-L.jpg

7. The Bay Bridge before sunrise

440798394_bEQCX-L.jpg

8. Sunrise

440798623_Vrc6T-L.jpg

9. Another sunrise shot

440801218_xQZpD-L.jpg
10. Ferry

440801660_vYpnu-L.jpg

11. A pano from the pier

440799948_6rxiK-L.jpg

12. I didn't think about birds until I saw JC taking shots of seagulls in flight. I found that a standing one was easier.

440802365_fK5MY-L.jpg

-Anthony

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Anthony - really nice stuff!

I love your shots of the pier itself (5,6 & 11)- April wanted to be there early enough to shoot those lights, but sadly we were holding her back ( cough*cough*) getting away from the hotel on time!

It was really great to meet you! Thanks for sharing your shots, and congrats on getting to peir 7 at 6 a.m.! I suspect I was hitting 'snooze' about then!

ann
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    It was so a relief when you found us, especially when we lost cell phone connection. And you were chasing use from about Santa Cruz!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Nicely done! And I can't believe these were your first sunsets/sunrises of the bay area!

You need to do it again!!!!!!

And I love the light on this.
    tisun wrote:
    440800362_Tkbou-Th.jpg

You have great shot of the pier and I don't think I took any. And I like how the light changed during sunset within those few minutes!

We must do this again!
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Anthony - really nice stuff!

I love your shots of the pier itself (5,6 & 11)- April wanted to be there early enough to shoot those lights, but sadly we were holding her back ( cough*cough*) getting away from the hotel on time!

It was really great to meet you! Thanks for sharing your shots, and congrats on getting to peir 7 at 6 a.m.! I suspect I was hitting 'snooze' about then!

ann

Ann,

Believe it or not, I was 90% sure on the previous night that I was not going to be able to get up early for the sunrise shoot. Then, I thought that if I wasn't going to do it when someone organized it, I would never do it. So I got up before 5am to get the gear together.

You should visit this area again for another shoot.

--Anthony
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    It was so a relief when you found us, especially when we lost cell phone connection. And you were chasing use from about Santa Cruz!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Nicely done! And I can't believe these were your first sunsets/sunrises of the bay area!

You need to do it again!!!!!!

And I love the light on this.

You have great shot of the pier and I don't think I took any. And I like how the light changed during sunset within those few minutes!

We must do this again!

April,

Thanks. Yes, it was my first sunrise/sunset of SF. I didn't know that it was going to be so much fun. Indeed, we must do it again!

--Anthony
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    I love #s 5 and 11!! Absolutely amazing! And the SF bridge pic before sunrise - excellent!!

Thanks for sharing!
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Nice looking series Anthony.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Very nice seriesthumb.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Gorgeous set! I know I saw the group leaving Zico that morning and I see that it was a really productive weekend. Fantastic series, absolutely beautiful.

I wish I'd gotten more of a chance to talk with you!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Thanks, everyone.

Schmoo, it was tough talking to anyone at length with so many people in town that weekend. Thanks for organizing the Dgrin party. Perhaps the next time you come to town and go for a shoot with April, I'll try to come along. I'll ask you then to share your B&W processing technique. I like your recent B&W images quite a lot.
  • Options
    brncr6brncr6 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Great set of photo's. We go there and stay at a hotel and I get up before the sun and go for a walk and take photo's. It's the best time no one around.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    tisun wrote:
    Thanks, everyone.

Schmoo, it was tough talking to anyone at length with so many people in town that weekend. Thanks for organizing the Dgrin party. Perhaps the next time you come to town and go for a shoot with April, I'll try to come along. I'll ask you then to share your B&W processing technique. I like your recent B&W images quite a lot.

I understand, and that sounds fantastic! I'll surely take you guys up on that one. We have lots of time to swap knowledge and explore the area. :D