A Cheesy Squint

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in People
A picture of my 22 month old. His face still seems a little blurry to me.. C&C welcome!:D DSC00361.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    A picture of my 22 month old. His face still seems a little blurry to me.. C&C welcome!:D DSC00361.jpg

It's definitely blurry. It looks like you have the lens wide open maybe and it's focused about in the middle of his head, some of the hair on the top of his head is the only thing in focus. Did you use autofocus? What f-stop did you have this set to? Since it's outside you could probably get away with f/4 or so and still leave nice bokeh in the background....

Other than the focus, the composition is good, and the expression is great, but for me, the focus really kills it.

These are the kinds of shots that make me :cry when I see them on the flash card afterwords.

Edit: Looking at this some more, this might be due to camera shake maybe?
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    It's definitely blurry. It looks like you have the lens wide open maybe and it's focused about in the middle of his head, some of the hair on the top of his head is the only thing in focus. Did you use autofocus? What f-stop did you have this set to? Since it's outside you could probably get away with f/4 or so and still leave nice bokeh in the background....

Other than the focus, the composition is good, and the expression is great, but for me, the focus really kills it.

These are the kinds of shots that make me :cry when I see them on the flash card afterwords.

Edit: Looking at this some more, this might be due to camera shake maybe?

thanks for the c&c. This was the very first picture i took when i pulled my new sony right out of the box. Without checking the settings i just snapped away. With such a cute expression i wish i would have taken the time to correct the settings.. :cry
    Courtney
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Yup - blurry face. His right ear and the seam of the shirt (right shoulder) are two more things I see that look like they may be in focus.

I love to play with new toys - but I get better mileage after I read the owner's manual and configure the camera to my tastes.

All that having been said, you did do a few things correctly: I see good exposure and very good composition. Timing couldn't have been any better!
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Cute! I hate that when you get such cute face on them and then you look at it on your computer and realize that there's a focus problem(or lighting or whatever)

Sometimes I can "save" a shot like that (meaning make it so that it's less annoying to me each time I look at it :D ) by doing a little bit of processing...give it a soft focus, a sepia tone, whatever. Can't fix the blur, but can sometimes make it less distracting by doing something else to it instead.
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I think that cute li'l guy's squint made you FLINCH, which would blur the shot, don't you know?! nod.gif