Bloomin' in the winter

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited December 27, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Here in South Texas we dont have much of a winter.. the grass is still green and the flowers still bloom.:huh C&C welcome.DSC00357.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Beautiful flower and the shallow DOF is nice for flower shots. To be honest for a good crsip flower shot the image needs to be sharper. If there is any type of wind it will be hard if you can't get a fast shutter speed, but fast shutter speed usually means too harsh of light. So with that said look for a calm day and shoot from a tripod in early morning or evening light.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Here in South Texas we dont have much of a winter.. the grass is still green and the flowers still bloom.eek7.gif C&C welcome.

Looks very green, don't you get snow down your way, or is it too warm?
    Lovely flower thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Not getting much snow way up here in dusty old Midland either. :nah Them Northers just be gettin' too much moisture wrung out of them by the Rust Belt states this year.

So how's life down in (what? South Padre Island or wherever you call "south Texas")? Did the hurricanes leave you any nasty messes this year?

Steve-o
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Ditto the question from Corehead--where in South Texas are you? I'm in San Antonio and we have nothing but brown in most places! I went out to shoot this morning and came right back home--gray sky, overcase, brown trees with brownish-green leaves, brown grass, and greenish-gray cactus. Yuck! If the sky clears I can always go to the Botanic Gardens and find some flowers!

Nice capture, but I agree about getting a crisp shot. Most of my flower shots fail for that reason. I like the color and the DOF in yours. Can you try again with tripod and work for a sharper image?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Looks very green, don't you get snow down your way, or is it too warm?
    Lovely flower thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Nope no snow in fact on Christmas Day it was in the mid 80's :cry
    Courtney
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Corehead wrote:
    Not getting much snow way up here in dusty old Midland either. :nah Them Northers just be gettin' too much moisture wrung out of them by the Rust Belt states this year.

So how's life down in (what? South Padre Island or wherever you call "south Texas")? Did the hurricanes leave you any nasty messes this year?

Steve-o
    We just got Hurricane Dolly - lots of trees down and no electricity for about a week.
    Courtney
    edited December 27, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    Ditto the question from Corehead--where in South Texas are you? I'm in San Antonio and we have nothing but brown in most places! I went out to shoot this morning and came right back home--gray sky, overcase, brown trees with brownish-green leaves, brown grass, and greenish-gray cactus. Yuck! If the sky clears I can always go to the Botanic Gardens and find some flowers!

Nice capture, but I agree about getting a crisp shot. Most of my flower shots fail for that reason. I like the color and the DOF in yours. Can you try again with tripod and work for a sharper image?

Cheers,
    Lauren

I live 4 hours south of San Antonio - about 20 minutes from South Padre Island/ Brownsville.
    At least you have the Gardens theres not much here as far as landscapes other than cactus.
    Courtney
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Yeah, it may look like a desert down there (yep, you're about as south as you can get!) BUT, if you get a waterproof housing for your camera, you just might open up a whole new world.

A NEW WORLD, mind you! :photo

Steve-o
    I live 4 hours south of San Antonio - about 20 minutes from South Padre Island/ Brownsville.
    At least you have the Gardens theres not much here as far as landscapes other than cactus.