Snowy Sunset on Lake Washington

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 28, 2008 in Landscapes
Because of the continual snow and ice, my photo locations are limited to places within walking distance.

These shots were taken tonight at Meydenbauer Park on Lake Washington, about 1.5 miles away from my apartment. I've shot sunset here before and got booted out by the parks department as the park closes at sunset (don't they know the best light is 20 minutes after sunset!?). The good news is because of the snow, and the fact that you have to descend a pretty steep hill to get to this park, I knew I would be left alone, and that proved true.

The best shot is at the end.

#1, This was a shot I thought I could get before I arrived, the snow, dock, and sunset in the same frame. Unfortunately, the contrast ratio was ridiculous, even when bracketing and a 3-stop GND filter.

441455845_kNdnG-L.jpg

#2:

441461447_CDh8K-L.jpg

#3, conifers, snow, reflections, and rich people:

441462220_8Vuf9-L.jpg

#4, more rich people:

441458174_fCscz-L.jpg

#5. This one is my favorite, it's a three shot pano taken 30 minutes after sunset, each exposure was about 30 seconds. If you look closely, you should be able to spot a Great Blue Heron (not many other birds stay still for 30 seconds!). This was facing south, the light was awesome, and got more and more pink/red after sunset.

441460646_advDG-X3.jpg

Comments

• AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Nice set Ron. Great lighting and colors. It was nice to see a sunset for a change. But boy the side roads are a mess still.

Ray Still
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    #1 & #5 are going to be hard to beat - love #5 - looks great on the 22" wide computer screen! Fantastic clarity - hope the Heron does not stand there too long - might get frozen in!!

Cheers, Richard.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    #1 & #5 are AMAZINGclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    These are incredible, and yes, that last shot is not even possible and should be declared illegal rolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif I also iloveyou.gif #3 a lot. Superb work Ron. The pastel colors and reflected light off the waters is stunningly gorgeous. Congratulations.

Dan
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    woohoo Ron- 1, 3 & 5 (by a far margin) are incredible. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Absolutely sensational Ron. These photo's are just incredible!! The lighting is tremendous. The first one would be on my wall somewhere.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    #1 by a long shot. Sure it suffers some from looking straight into the sun but the curving line sweeping through the frame & amber reflection off of the snow in the foreground do it for me.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 23, 2008
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Geez a Weez...these are incredible!

The last one is something else.

#1 is serene, just beautiful

#4 rich people looks like a Christmas postcard. You should go door to door and offer these for sale! :D
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    Geez a Weez...these are incredible!

The last one is something else.

#1 is serene, just beautiful

#4 rich people looks like a Christmas postcard. You should go door to door and offer these for sale! :D

What a wonderful series. That first sunset really goes for my eyes and I think you did well to achieve such a fantastic shot. I really love the colours in the rest of the shots exceptionally the lights in the cabins. Very nice indeed and a pleasure to look at.
    Regards
    Bop
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments everyone! The endless snow and ice is making my life difficult in every sense except for photography :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Wonderful photos ! clap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Given all the cold lemons (snow and ice) you surely ended up with some delicious lemonade there.thumb.gif Your work is very inspirational.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Wow-- these are great! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    I agree....wow thumb.gif
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Great as always Ron. thumb.gif

Looks like you will be seeing that white stuff for a while too...
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Beautiful series, Ron. #1 really catches my eye and the last one is breathtaking.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Ron, i got a good giggle from you comments....

beautiful photography as usual from you. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Very nice. I like #1, #3, and #5 quite a bit.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Great set of images!!!! thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    These are superb. I was a ski bum for a bit at snoqulmie pass, working for the Moffett family, and commuted over to Mercer Island quite often. Doesn't Master Bill Gates have some property and a home right there somewhere. Seems like I remember, years ago, engineers were clearing, like ten acres right near the bridge, for his home. I may be mistaken.
    Growing with Dgrin

• NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Nice set, Ron. You're the sunset master of the PNW thumb.gif You've posted more sunset images in the past few months than we saw in eight years living down there headscratch.gif Well, we saw plenty of sunsets, they were just all grey ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited December 25, 2008
    Ron, i got a good giggle from you comments....

beautiful photography as usual from you. thumb.gif

If engaging in unwarranted and undeserved class warfare via snarky photo comments in a politically neutral forum is wrong, I don't wanna be right :D
    edited December 25, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    These are superb. I was a ski bum for a bit at snoqulmie pass, working for the Moffett family, and commuted over to Mercer Island quite often. Doesn't Master Bill Gates have some property and a home right there somewhere. Seems like I remember, years ago, engineers were clearing, like ten acres right near the bridge, for his home. I may be mistaken.

Yeah, his house is a few miles from these photos (in Medina I believe). I'm not exactly sure where it is, he didn't send me a Christmas card this year :cry
    edited December 25, 2008
    Nice set, Ron. You're the sunset master of the PNW thumb.gif You've posted more sunset images in the past few months than we saw in eight years living down there headscratch.gif Well, we saw plenty of sunsets, they were just all grey ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

Was this before or after you got into photography? I notice a good sunset a lot more often now than I did before I picked up a camera. This specific sunset wasn't spectacular, it was almost completely overcast, but I noticed there was a little clearing and I decided to walk to the lake and hope for the best. And the best light wasn't facing the sunset, but south, about 30 minutes after. Before I took photos, I would have thought it was a mediocre sunset, but now I know better, and usually can tell a few hours before whether the sunset will have potential (strange how much more you notice when you start paying attention! :D).
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Was this before or after you got into photography?....
    That was post-photography but pre-global warming. That must be the difference. Maybe it has warmed up enough around there to burn off all that fog. ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    Sigh.... Another stunning set of images from Ron. :bluduh Please, somebody take his camera away. He's making the rest of us look bad!!! rolleyes1.gif

Like the pano the best. thumb.gif

Guaranteed a LOT of those rich folks with the docks out into the lake are Microsoft employees. Some of them have actually bought several adjacent homes, ripped them all down and built big mansions in their place. I know one dude who built a multimillion dollar mansion along the lake, with a huge dock, big boat, etc. He lived in it for a couple of years, then sold it and built a bigger one. eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    #5 is fantastic! :ivar
  • mchapmamchapma Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Photo Posting
    How do you post your pics in this forum? Do you just post the link to your image and end with semi-colon??

Mark Chapman
    http://www.markchapmanphotography.com
    edited December 26, 2008
    mchapma wrote:
    How do you post your pics in this forum? Do you just post the link to your image and end with semi-colon??

Mark Chapman
    http://www.markchapmanphotography.com
    I don't think this was specifically directed to me, but this should answer your question:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138