First digital camera opinions Please

bmeansbmeans Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2004 in Cameras
My wife wants a new digital camera. Researched alot of online sites. Steves Digicam, etc. Found this site and it is great. Want a 3mp camera around $300. I had decided to buy the Canon A75 and took my wife to store. She saw the Fuji Finefix S3000 with the 6X zoom and is leaning towards it. Any thoughts on these 2 cameras or others for that matter we might be happy with. We will pretty much be point and shooters. She thinks the zoom would be good at kids soccer games, however per reviews The Fuji not very good with action shots. I also thought The A60 would be a good first camera but salesperson said dont buy less than 3mp. She thinks she wants more than the 3x optical zoom on most lower end cameras. Please help me decide.

Thanks in advance
Brett Means

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2004
    More zoom is a good thing! The Canon A75 is a really good camera, highly recommended, and you can always buy an extender lens to add more length to the zoom.

But if you want more zoom, let Patch29 tell you all about the Canon S1. Big zoom and image stabilization - really important, because if you're zoomed out to 10X, every last little bit of your camera shake will blur the shot.

I've heard mixed reports about the Fuji, as have you. People with experience find the body shape comforting - it reminds them of a SLR and they like that. But the performance seems to be lagging.

The Canon S1 is what you're looking for - until you see the price. I'm afraid it breaks your bank, coming in at $499. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2004
    bmeans wrote:
    My wife wants a new digital camera. Researched alot of online sites. Steves Digicam, etc. Found this site and it is great. Want a 3mp camera around $300. I had decided to buy the Canon A75 and took my wife to store. She saw the Fuji Finefix S3000 with the 6X zoom and is leaning towards it. Any thoughts on these 2 cameras or others for that matter we might be happy with. We will pretty much be point and shooters. She thinks the zoom would be good at kids soccer games, however per reviews The Fuji not very good with action shots. I also thought The A60 would be a good first camera but salesperson said dont buy less than 3mp. She thinks she wants more than the 3x optical zoom on most lower end cameras. Please help me decide.

Thanks in advance
    Brett Means
    Brett,

Welcome!

I think you'd be very happy with the A75. I hadn't read up on it before. I can't believe that a camera with all those specs sells for that price!

The A75 may only have a 3x zoom but it should be enough to get you some good shots at a soccer game. It should get you fairly close to the action without making it hard to keep the kids in the frame.

I was thinking about recomending that you consider the A80, but I changed my mind. Instead of spending the extra cash on the A80, I would recomend getting the A75 and an extra memory card and/or rechargable batteries.

Most Important of all:
    What ever camera you get, be sure to come back here and post some of your pictures!

edited April 27, 2004
    nod.gif And you can get the Tele-conversion kit for about another $120. (Actually, that makes the S1 look pretty good again! :D )
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif And you can get the Tele-conversion kit for about another $120. (Actually, that makes the S1 look pretty good again! :D )

nod.gif and a wide angle kit and an underwater housing and a wireless remote and.....
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2004
    Go for the A75 I love my A80. Almost never leave home without it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Nikon 885
    Hey Brett

For about $250, you can get the Nikon 885, a camera I love. It's 3,2 megapixels and takes shots like this:

2929174-L.jpg

Here's the write-up at DP Review...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp885.asp

It's a great camera and super cheap.
    edited May 23, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Brett

For about $250, you can get the Nikon 885, a camera I love. It's 3,2 megapixels and takes shots like this:

Ahem. It doesn't take shots like that.... you take shots like that! rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Thats what I was thinking too. It aint the arrow, int's the indian.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    True, fellas, true. I just really like that camera and it's cheap. I guess I'm stressing the point that you both made...that you can get a good image (if you're able) from an inexpensive camera in the same way you can get a crappy image from a Nikon D1X (I can't get that camera out of my head).