edited December 25, 2008 in People
437566018_RhyZF-L.jpg
Jeff aka digitalzed
My SmugMug

Comments

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

I really like the reflections and the fact that they are both striding on the same leg. Nice job!

On my laptop, the photo seems to be lacking contrast though. Did you take this in B&W camera mode or convert?

Also, the crop puts everything right in the center of the frame. Since you can't crop any more from the bottom (without ruining the reflection), what about a tighter crop on the right and from the top putting them more in the lower-right third of the frame?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • digitalzeddigitalzed Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    Hi Jeff,

I really like the reflections and the fact that they are both striding on the same leg. Nice job!

On my laptop, the photo seems to be lacking contrast though. Did you take this in B&W camera mode or convert?

Also, the crop puts everything right in the center of the frame. Since you can't crop any more from the bottom (without ruining the reflection), what about a tighter crop on the right and from the top putting them more in the lower-right third of the frame?

It was converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro from Nik. Here's one that might be more to your loking with a different crop. Thanks for commenting Mike.

3082280103_492bdb944c_b.jpg
    Jeff aka digitalzed
    My SmugMug
    edited December 25, 2008
    digitalzed wrote:
    It was converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro from Nik. Here's one that might be more to your loking with a different crop. Thanks for commenting Mike.

3082280103_492bdb944c_b.jpg

This one does have more contrast but it looks like there is a lot more noise or added grain as well? From a compositional point of view (which I know very little about), I think there is too much dead space on the right and not enough on the left. This crop does not really give the pair any space to run into...

Which of these two do you like?
    Mike J

Facebook
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    I like the crop. The 'room to run into' for me is the ocean. And I like the bit of darkness of dry sand as a triangular base to the whole composition. Well done. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

edited December 25, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

Santa is all set-up so I took a minute to play with some different crops of this and I have to admit that your 2nd crop that Leaforte likes is better. As Leaforte said, the dry triangle of sand is the anchor and keeps things balanced. Any other crop I played with just isn't as interesting. Seeing is believing! :D

BTW - What do you think of Nik Silver Effex Pro?
    Mike J

Facebook
    edited December 25, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    This one does have more contrast but it looks like there is a lot more noise or added grain as well? From a compositional point of view (which I know very little about), I think there is too much dead space on the right and not enough on the left. This crop does not really give the pair any space to run into...

Which of these two do you like?

Hard to say, really! Yours come off my monitor with more pizzaz. But I also like the moodiness I perceive in mine. I'd take either.
    Jeff aka digitalzed
    My SmugMug
    edited December 25, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    Hi Jeff,

Santa is all set-up so I took a minute to play with some different crops of this and I have to admit that your 2nd crop that Leaforte likes is better. As Leaforte said, the dry triangle of sand is the anchor and keeps things balanced. Any other crop I played with just isn't as interesting. Seeing is believing! :D

BTW - What do you think of Nik Silver Effex Pro?

I LOVE Silver Efex Pro. Too darn expensive but worth it to me. Download a free trial and see if works well for you. Save me loads of time.

And thanks for taking the time to play around with my shot and comment Mike. I appreciate it.
    Jeff aka digitalzed
    My SmugMug