serenity?

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited December 27, 2008 in Landscapes
I'd appreciate feedback on this image. Thanks.

441982521_wdZ9y-L-0.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Nice idea, but the spots of red and blue are distracting from the main idea of the bridge, which very centered (which might work, otherwise). Toning down the high contrast distractions may help.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I agree with Don. You have some nice compositional elements with the stream and the bridge but the centering is taking away from your elements. The bush in the lower left seems a little distracting and cropping at the top and side may help a lot.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Hi Angelo,

When I first looked at this image I couldn't see anything, but since you were somehow drawn to it I continued to look, and this is what I saw. (I hope you don't mind)

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 24, 2008
    Well, if we're going to butcher his shot, here's mine. mwink.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Well, if we're going to butcher his shot, here's mine. mwink.gif

I would totally agree both cropped images are really much better.
    Bob
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Sorry Angelo

Since the group has decided to declare open season on your shot. Here is my interpretation of your capture. I felt it was way over exposed on the cherry (I think it was a cherry tree) tree on the left.

442454163_ew32x-XL.jpg

It is a great shot but way too loud for the theme.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    I'd appreciate feedback on this image. Thanks.

441982521_wdZ9y-L-0.jpg
    I think a lower VP of the water, really bringing that twist of the waters path under the red 'arch' of the bridge, would add a lot, and the foliage would frame it in nicely. IMHO. It's a nice shot. I like the blue in the shot, but have seen it 'cropped' several ways now and not too sure anymore.
    Growing with Dgrin

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    PLEASE STOP!

THERE IS NO OPEN SEASON ON MY IMAGE!!!

When did it become so commonplace to take such liberties on others' images?
    If I was inclined to authorize altering my image I would have stated so in the OP.

some valuable comments have been made in this thread. I appreciate the feedback and would have enjoyed a dialogue on the issues but at the moment I'm too steamin' mad to have that dialogue.

I'm of the belief you should ask permission BEFORE daring to alter someone's image.
  • Roy SRoy S Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 25, 2008
    serenity?
    eek7.gif Well Angelo, it's like this. Once the ball starts rolling down hill (Nice idea, but) it's just kind of hard to stop. One NEVER knows what will happen on this site. Usually almost everything is "Well, that's a great shot", "Man, I wish I could take pictures like that!". And those are about ANY shot good OR bad. BUT, then the balll gets started.

One could suggest placing more water in the steram or fish jumping through hoops. How about a tiny fisherman landing a carp with a little bitty cast net?:flush

thumb.gif But, I'd prefer say that the profussion of textures and colors in what appeared to be an oriental garden are drawn dogether nicely by the symetry of the arched bridge. Your exposure of the larger contrast range represented buy the dark water and the bright cherry tree were handled qite nicely. Acutally a really nice image, Angelo. Congrats

Oh, Yes! As you say, "cameras don't shoot people........."Merry Christmas. "He" would be happy with it too.
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Peace was the theme and the answer...
    Angelo, very good shot. It has many merits and I personally like it as is...a most interesting perspective of a unique bridge. thumb.gif

Casual, friendly critique of one's shot is what I feel this forum is about. And I agree that altering one's shot is not acceptable unless specifically requested by owner during the course of discussion.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    The Japanese garden offers an island of serenity in an otherwise crowded place. Water, bridges, lanterns, and meticulous landscape combine to produce a slice of heaven in the middle of the city. You've captured many of these elements and that makes it a nice picture.

Of the suggestions offered, I think Al is right. It's a little OE around the cherry but not as much correction as Al has shown. The blue is a bit distracting but you cold clone that out or just knock it down a bit. I'd also like to see more of the water too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    I love the riotous colors in this. It screams SPRING!!! to me, which is fantastic.

The main issue I have is that it's a little confusing. There's a lot going on with the leaves, flowers. the bridge, water, and the beautiful peek of blue at the top. I want to be there to look around the corner, but I'm a little intimidated by where to walk first. :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    The main issue I have is that it's a little confusing. There's a lot going on with the leaves, flowers. the bridge, water, and the beautiful peek of blue at the top.

Steph nailed it. It needs simplification. Although it is very rich, I would eliminate the blue by cropping from the top and left.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 25, 2008
    OK everyone, thanks very much for all the feedback.

I had my little rant back there at post #9 so you all now know my position on editing others' images.

Regardless of the methods used, I appreciate the time each has taken to help me with this.

Here are some of my thoughts on the image and the edits (most of which I had already tried):

The image posted by me is certainly not the original. I made adjustments and a little cropping until I was fairly happy but was uncertain so I came here to seek more advice.

What I like about the image:

1) the subtle, graceful arch of the bridge with a vibrant red that suggests "see me" among the foliage

2) the comforting leading line of the pond wall drawing you into the center of the picture

3) the organic feeling created by the gentle ripples in the water and the few leaves and petals floating on top; the branches seemingly reaching into the water

4) a sense of asymmetrical balance created in an otherwise very symmetrical setting thanks to the varying color of leaves and branches.

5) the hint of blue in the upper background. I think it gives a sense of depth - a mystery to what's behind

Now my own contrary views:

1) is the bridge too centered? but does that give a human scale? does one always have to avoid "centered" subjects?

2) maybe the water is a bit too dark / murky?

3) I think I'm still OK with this

4) is the cherry blossom tree too bright? maybe but none of it is "blown". does the more natural color and exposure on the left side of the tree offer balance?

5) this I struggled with - when I cropped it out I felt the image went totally flat. don't know about this one.

Thanks again and I still welcome any additional comments and suggestions. There are probably easy fixes to some of the issues but I unfortunately am not much of an expert in PS, especially if talking about masks and filters.

Oh and if you want to call me a bonehead for ranting about editing that's OK too. I think this issue deserves a healthy debate.

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Angelo, with this being a visual medium, I presume a lot of the folks that re-edit a photo and tell what they did find it easier to communicate that way.... all are not as articulate as others....so instead of a rant the next time how about a little line in your siggy stating no re-edits to my photos with out express premission.....as I believe in my just over 2 yrs and beginning my 3rd I have seen a number including mods do edits on photos as a way of showing what needed to be done to procure a better finished photo......
    Somehow I got the feeling that is why photos on Dgrin have no copying security at all.........

I have always felt that if a photo is posted within the realms of Dgrin it was here to be critiqued in one manner {written} or another {visual+ written} as long as that critique was benevolent to the photo owner/op......

as for the pic...ovr all it is a nice snap......however YOU could have done a lot beter by not including the blue in the upper portion, clonning outthe blue in the left portion, and adding much more stream leading upto the bridge and all the loud flowers....loud as in extremely busy....dang near hurt my eyes to look at it......just my 'umble opin'on
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website