Point&Shoot with a little bit of customization

espyespy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 5, 2005 in Cameras
Hey all,

I'm looking for a camera that can be used as a very good point and shoot, but I would also like it to have some manual controls (focus, exposure, etc.) so I can practice being artistic with the few things I learned in the photography classes I took ;). I also need it to be less than $500, preferably around $300 or less (of course).

I found the Fujifilm FinePix F700 which seems to have about the right qualifications, but of course the review on cnet says that it might have bad compression and will sometimes leave artifacts. Is that really something to worry about or will it most likely not happen that often?

Gladly accepting any comments about the Fuji or any recommendations ~ Thanks.

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    espy wrote:
    I wasn't quite sure which forum to put this in -- the Wee Cameras or the one underneath it, so if you mods think it will be better in the other one, please move it.

I'm looking for a camera that can be used as a very good point and shoot, but I would also like it to have some manual controls (focus, exposure, etc.) so I can practice being artistic with the few things I learned in the photography classes I took ;). I also need it to be less than $500, preferably around $300 or less (of course).

I found the Fujifilm FinePix F700 which seems to have about the right qualifications, but of course the review on cnet says that it might have bad compression and will sometimes leave artifacts. Is that really something to worry about or will it most likely not happen that often?

Hi espy,

sorry about the delay replying , my son has a Canon A85 which is an excellent little camera (i think the latest version is the A95) and should fit the budget. We also have a canon S50 which was a little more pricey than the S85 but feels much more solid with its metal body. Both take great pictures.

Be sure to post some when you have the camera!! thumb.gif
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    I wou ld go with a canon. I have a A80 in addition to my 10D and my sister has a A85. The a series cameras offer full manual control and I carry mine in a pocket. Can't go wrong with one of these.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Well, you've run into a bunch of Canon owners here, so it's no suprise that you're getting steered towards Canon gear. naughty.gif

Include me in that group! I too was going to suggest one of the A-models. Very reasonably priced, manual controls and high image quality.

In all fairness, Nikon and Sony also make some very fine cameras. I'm not as familiar with individual models, tho.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Fairness ne_nau.gif. Forget that, BUY CANON.gerg.giframbo:soapbox:flash

Nikon? :nono11doh.gifpuke:nah:moon:crazy
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    The Canon A-series also have available adapters so that you can use a threaded filter. Filters = fun in my expereience. Were I to do it all over again today, I'd start w/ an A85 or an A95..
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Espy,

here's a couple of sites worth a look for some reviews

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope that helps thumb.gif
  • espyespy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2005
    Thanks for the Canon push :giggle I saw the A95 as one of the most popular on c-net but thought it probably didn't have any manual controls and just didn't check it... that's what I get for assuming. I also didn't realize that even though it has a swivel screen type thing it can also be pushed back into the camera so it's not sticking out, and that's important too.

also, thanks for the links, gubbs :D I'll surely try to post some pics.

I'll read up on the cameras and post again if I have more questions...
    thanks for all the help :D I thought nobody wanted to help a poor beginner for a while =P
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    I have an A80 in addition to my 20D. The A-series are very nice cameras. The A80 really helped me in learning about photography since I usually used it in manual mode. Very good price for what you get. The A80 is discontinued, with the A95 replacing it. I've dropped my A80 when it was in my camera bag with my video camera and it still works fine. Plus, it uses CF cards which is good since they aren't super expensive.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • seaelvenseaelven Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    My mom got a free Hp Photosmart R507, it works pretty well; though it isn't at any rate your best consumer camera.
  • espyespy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2005
    Well, I just ordered the Canon Powershot A95 today -- mostly because of the replies here, but also from all of the other research I did :giggle

Hopefully I will get it and start shooting by Wednesday. Thanks for all the help, and I'll try to post some pics and get feedback from you all ~
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    My 2 bob is on any of the canon A series (A95 is my pick). They have it all & nice software (nup ive never owned one)

Im buying a little A510 for a friend next week...bang for buck they are great little pocket cameras.

Gus
  • Maple LeafMaple Leaf Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2005
    Camera...$300 or less...
    espy wrote:
    Hey all,

Hi. I have had my Sony P93 5.1 megapixel for about one year and have found this camera to be excellent in every aspect. It has all the bells and whistles, super sharp Sony lens, Auto, Manual, plus other settings found on more expensive cameras. The P93 came on the market with a price over $500 Cdn and is now down in the price level you are seeking. I have posted many photos in the Sony Talk Forum that were comparable with photos posted from prosumer cameras.

You might look into this camera while you are on your search. I do believe you won't find a camera with so many setting options as the P93...certainly not at the price you are willing to pay.

I took mine out of our Cdn Sears store on a 30-day return basis if not satisfied. I still have the camera. It is small...pocket size with a high shutter speed for action shots which I have used it for in the past.

Hope this helps you in your search.

Bob (Maple Leaf)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Good stuff, Bob. thumb.gif I know of Sony's rep, and have seen innumerable beautiful images from the 717. But I reckon a lot of us don't know about the rest of their line. Thanks for the new perspective.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au