Serious 20D problems

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited April 18, 2006 in Cameras
The photographer I am looking at opening up a studio with is shooting with a 20D right now and he is having some serious problems with it so I thought I would ask you. We thought it was his 24-70L lens that was messed up but its his camera body. We have tried it with 3 different lenses and all have the same problem.

When you compose and focus the lense, and continue holding the button so as to lock focus, then recompose the scene, (keep in mind you have focus locked the entire time) when you finish depressing the button to take the picture it refocuses the lense in the instant you are pressing the button to release the shutter. As you can imagine this is a huge problem. Any idea's? This has to go back to canon doens't it. Anyone had this problem?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 15, 2005
    The photographer I am looking at opening up a studio with is shooting with a 20D right now and he is having some serious problems with it so I thought I would ask you. We thought it was his 24-70L lens that was messed up but its his camera body. We have tried it with 3 different lenses and all have the same problem.

When you compose and focus the lense, and continue holding the button so as to lock focus, then recompose the scene, (keep in mind you have focus locked the entire time) when you finish depressing the button to take the picture it refocuses the lense in the instant you are pressing the button to release the shutter. As you can imagine this is a huge problem. Any idea's? This has to go back to canon doens't it. Anyone had this problem?

Gary, I am not sure if I understand, but it seems that what you are saying is that the body refocuses after achieving focus lock with the shutter half-pressed.

One thought occurs to me - Has your friend set any custom -settings in the cameras set up software? This almost sounds like a custom setting. I would consider resetting the cameras custom functions to factory default before I shipped it off to Canon. The camera is set to One Shot, not AI focusing, right? I certainly am not sure that the camera is not defective, but I would reset to defaults first, before assuming that.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Exactly it refocus's after focus lock is acheived with the shutter half pressed.

We reset the camera to facorty settings, made sure it was on one shot and not servo, all the settings are correct. Still does this.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Exactly it refocus's after focus lock is acheived with the shutter half pressed.

We reset the camera to facorty settings, made sure it was on one shot and not servo, all the settings are correct. Still does this.

is he is ai servo focus? you need to be in oneshot focus mode to do focus, recompose....
    edited May 15, 2005
    We reset the camera to facorty settings, made sure it was on one shot and not servo (ai), ......
    Yup its in one shot.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    That's very odd. I suggest that your photographer try this: Set custom function to C.Fn-04 choosing #1. To quote Canon's manual "Convenient if you want to focus and meter separately. Press the <*> button to autofocus and press the shutter button halfway to attain AE lock". I now use this function and once I got used to it, I would not go back to having the shutter button do the focusing. One thing that you have to get used to, is to press slightly the shutter button to turn on the camera (if it went to sleep).

It might not work in your photographer's case, but its worth a shot.
    Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
    edited May 15, 2005
    Thanks shiela I'll have him try this.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 15, 2005

Does not sound good to me either then, Gary
    ne_nau.gif

You have taken the battery out and done a cold reboot too, right?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 15, 2005
    I'm gonna have him try setting the custom funtions, if that doesnt work another factory reset, if that doesn't work last ditch effort by reloading the firmware. If that doesn't work the body is going in.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited May 15, 2005
    Shiela your fix seems to be patching it so he can use it for now but even after all that still wont work in the normal way. At least he can use it till things die down in a couple weeks and send it in.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005

I might be having that problem, or I might not know how to operate the camera correctly.

And let me ask a kinda stupid question, which button are you talking about?

In other words, exactly how do you lock the focus. I am not doing it very successfully.

ginger (I know, I have read the manual, that is why I have not said anything before. I figured I was doing something wrong. That is why I said I "might" have the problem, not that I do have the problem.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited May 15, 2005
    Thats good. But I can tell you now, that after a couple of weeks of using it with Cfn 4-1, he won't go back to the "normal" way:D

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Thats good. But I can tell you now, that after a couple of weeks of using it with Cfn 4-1, he won't go back to the "normal" way:D

Cheers
    Sheila
    I now use this function and once I got used to it, I would not go back to having the shutter button do the focusing.
    I second this custom setting! I use it every now and then with my D70, and it is VERY handy in many situations. Just takes some getting used to. Laughing.gif "some", it takes a LOT of getting used to...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited May 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I might be having that problem, or I might not know how to operate the camera correctly.

And let me ask a kinda stupid question, which button are you talking about?

In other words, exactly how do you lock the focus. I am not doing it very successfully.

ginger (I know, I have read the manual, that is why I have not said anything before. I figured I was doing something wrong. That is why I said I "might" have the problem, not that I do have the problem.)
    When you depress the shutter button half way your lense focus'. If you don't release the button but keep it depressed halfway it stays locked on the focal point. WIth his camera after we get a focus lock at the half way point when the scene is recomposed (never lift your finger off the button or you loose your lock) and you finish depressing the button to release the shutter and take the picture the lense refocuses on its own when its not supposed to. Sometimes this will result in the lense picking another focal point when it moves sometimes you simply feel the lense move to refocus but it doesn't get a lock on anything. This is not supposed to happen (unless you are in AI Servo and want your focus to follow a specific object). It is supposed to take the picture without refocusing.

PS Pulling out a camera in a crowded starbucks, putting an assortment of lenses on the table, the two guys talking camera (might as well be greek), and taking tons of pictures when no one can figure out what they are taking pictures of draws alot of attention. So be prepared for looks from the staff. They never said anything but I thinks thats cause I looked like I hadn't slept for days.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    I thought this was a rather common 20D problem. Winger and one other sports shooter she knows both had 20D focusing issues - they went back to Canon for a fix. Of course, this takes several weeks - makes me think rather poorly of canon to know there is a bug in a whole run of 20D's and they won't just replace it or make the refurb quicker.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    When you depress the shutter button half way your lense focus'. If you don't release the button but keep it depressed halfway it stays locked on the focal point. WIth his camera after we get a focus lock at the half way point when the scene is recomposed (never lift your finger off the button or you loose your lock) and you finish depressing the button to release the shutter and take the picture the lense refocuses on its own when its not supposed to. Sometimes this will result in the lense picking another focal point when it moves sometimes you simply feel the lense move to refocus but it doesn't get a lock on anything. This is not supposed to happen (unless you are in AI Servo and want your focus to follow a specific object). It is supposed to take the picture without refocusing.

Actually, AI Servo or AI Focus will refocus. ONLY ONE SHOT WILL NOT REFOCUS. But, as a general rule, using auto-focus in a lock-and-recompose manner is always a risky proposition and is not recommend.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited May 16, 2005
    Merc recommended no. Used all the time, YES. None the less the camera needs to work the way it is supposed to but it's not :(.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited May 16, 2005
    Not wishing to labour the point, but I do highly recommend folk trying the Custom Function 4-1. It does allow one to focus using the <*> button and also by holding down slightly the shutter button, allows the 20D to take the correct exposure and recomposing. I had always been uncomfortable using the shutter button to focus AND expose. As I mentioned before, it takes a little while to get used to using the <*> but after doing so, it becomes second nature.

Try it, you'll like it:D

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    Gary,

If your friend is having this problem with all subjects using FLR (Focus Lock Recompose), in One Shot, he may have a faulty camera. Others have reported this same problem.

Here's a really good thread that addresses this issue

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • badrotationbadrotation Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    It is a bad shutter button.

What happens is when you go to press the shutter button all the way down to take the shot, it is momentarily causing it to lose contact, thus causing the camera to refocus before shooting.

It will be noticeably worse if you are putting pressure on the shutter button from an angle (not pushing straight down.)

It is a known problem on the cameras, and if you send it to canon, it is $176.

Personally, I just ripped the 20d apart and fixed it myself.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    It is a bad shutter button.

What happens is when you go to press the shutter button all the way down to take the shot, it is momentarily causing it to lose contact, thus causing the camera to refocus before shooting.

It will be noticeably worse if you are putting pressure on the shutter button from an angle (not pushing straight down.)

It is a known problem on the cameras, and if you send it to canon, it is $176.

Personally, I just ripped the 20d apart and fixed it myself.

Now that is great info!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • badrotationbadrotation Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Now that is great info!

I have had three that have went bad , two of which went bad after only about 20,000 presses.

I just rip the camera apart, take the snap on cover off the switch, pull the contacts out (little spring metal disc 'buttons') clean everything up, add a bit more springyness to the buttons (to freshen them up to better than new condition), and then re-assemble the camera. I have never had a problem since, and the shutter button feels much more responsive (more noticable 'click')

Out of all three cameras, I only have two screws left over rolleyes1.gif

It really is not a hard job at all if you have experience working with small stuff.