Few with Vanessa

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 28, 2008 in People
Finally get some time to process of the last weekend shoots. This is Vanessa.

1. Black and tourqoise:

441979933_C45n2-XL.jpg

2. Traditional and gold:

442381740_Y4hgG-XL.jpg

3. Those eyes:

442427911_UesKY-XL.jpg

4. That attitude:

442645174_ryDDW-XL.jpg

5. Those legs:

442587178_xFRGS-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    I like the second one best Nik. Shes sassy, and the swept hair gives it energy.

It appears in #3 as though (?) there is possibly a reflection off the outside edge of a contact lens on her left eye. A sliver of reflection just outside the iris. An easy enough fix....and something that definately says something about the high detail and overall image quality of today's cameras....if that is indeed what it is. Impressive. Was this the 50D?

Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like the second one best Nik. Shes sassy, and the swept hair gives it energy.

It appears in #3 as though (?) there is possibly a reflection off the outside edge of a contact lens on her left eye. A sliver of reflection just outside the iris. An easy enough fix....and something that definately says something about the high detail and overall image quality of today's cameras....if that is indeed what it is. Impressive. Was this the 50D?

Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
    Jeff, thank you, good catch, I missed it:-) thumb.gif Reuploaded, press Ctrl+F5 to refresh.

Yes, it was 50D, mix of 100mm macro and 17-55/2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Jeff, thank you, good catch, I missed it:-) thumb.gif Reuploaded, press Ctrl+F5 to refresh.

Yes, it was 50D, mix of 100mm macro and 17-55/2.8

The fix looks good.thumb.gif

I have been debating on a new camera body....5dmkII or 50D. I am leaning toward the 50D in a large part because of it's ability to accept the 17-55/2.8 lens. Have you been satisfied with your 50D so far?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nikolai,

These are fantastic shots! I especially love the way the light just lightly presents her right leg thru the wrap in photo 1.

Here I sit with my 32 inch monitor and cannot figure out how Jeff saw that little lens! I looked at the image before you fixed it and headscratch.gif...

Overall~Sweet shots~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
    edited December 26, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The fix looks good.thumb.gif
    I have been debating on a new camera body....5dmkII or 50D. I am leaning toward the 50D in a large part because of it's ability to accept the 17-55/2.8 lens. Have you been satisfied with your 50D so far?
    Jeff, I'm planning to have both. Saving for 5D2. Once I get it 5D2 will be my primary portrait/landscape body, and 50D (or whatever APC lineup will be current) will be backup/event/sports body. 17-55 is sweet lens indeed, I wonder if Canon is planning an EF L version. And most likely I will get 50/1.4 and it will become my de-facto portrait lens on 5D2.
    edited December 26, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    Nikolai,

These are fantastic shots! I especially love the way the light just lightly presents her right leg thru the wrap in photo 1.

Here I sit with my 32 inch monitor and cannot figure out how Jeff saw that little lens! I looked at the image before you fixed it and headscratch.gif...

Overall~Sweet shots~

cheers, tom

Thanks Tom!
    I guess you and me are just two very typical males who never look a woman in the eyes:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nice pose and lighting on that first image, Nik.

Love the second image too but perhaps your rim light is pointed a little low? But still a nice image.

Number 3 -- I'd move your light slightly higher to get that nose shadow a little more natural looking. You have some room to raise the light and still get catchlights.

The look on number 4 is great but her eye makeup looks a little bit choppy on her upper left lid.

I love number 5 but her feet look a bit large compared to the rest of her. Heels may have helped or maybe angle yourself a bit differently so her feet aren't farther from the camera?

Nice series, Nik!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited December 26, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Nice pose and lighting on that first image, Nik.

Love the second image too but perhaps your rim light is pointed a little low? But still a nice image.

Number 3 -- I'd move your light slightly higher to get that nose shadow a little more natural looking. You have some room to raise the light and still get catchlights.

The look on number 4 is great but her eye makeup looks a little bit choppy on her upper left lid.

I love number 5 but her feet look a bit large compared to the rest of her. Heel may have helped or maybe angle yourself a bit differently so her feet aren't farther from the camera?

Nice series, Nik!

Pete,

thank you for detailed C&C, appreciate it! thumb.gif

To a large degree, this shoot was a bit on experimental side - I'm still trying to get a hold of my new AB softboxes and how they work. I love them so far, but more fine tuning is most likely required.

As to the #5 - she specifically wanted it that way, so I went with the flow:-). I personnaly prefer this one ;-)

442582345_2Npro-XL.jpg

Mahalo! thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    As to the #5 - she specifically wanted it that way, so I went with the flow:-). I personnaly prefer this one ;-)

Yeah-- that shot definitely helps keep her feet more natural looking!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nik, those shots are great, I'm especially a big fan of 2 & 4 (pose + lighting) clap.gifiloveyou.gif... very nice .... still not sure about the tiger print headscratch.gif ... I think it's "too much" fabric ... I don't know ... maybe it's the fact that the couch is covered with fabric?

I like the last shot that you posted as well, but maybe I would try it with a plain background, or a more bedroomy-feeling .... ne_nau.gif

Those are just my 2 cents, you obviously know what you're doing mwink.gif
    edited December 26, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah-- that shot definitely helps keep her feet more natural looking!
    Well, you know, quite often we and the client can disagree. So I produce both :-) rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 26, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Nik, those shots are great, I'm especially a big fan of 2 & 4 (pose + lighting) clap.gifiloveyou.gif... very nice .... still not sure about the tiger print headscratch.gif ... I think it's "too much" fabric ... I don't know ... maybe it's the fact that the couch is covered with fabric?

I like the last shot that you posted as well, but maybe I would try it with a plain background, or a more bedroomy-feeling .... ne_nau.gif

Those are just my 2 cents, you obviously know what you're doing mwink.gif
    Thank you Angie! thumb.gif
    Yeah, "tiger" pattern is bold and active. But some girls like it, so did she mwink.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you Angie! thumb.gif
    Yeah, "tiger" pattern is bold and active. But some girls like it, so did she mwink.gif

thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Very pretty model.
    I love number one. The pose and the lighting are excellent!!
    edited December 26, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Very pretty model.
    I love number one. The pose and the lighting are excellent!!
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Like the series Nik, overall #1 and #4 stand out for me.

Again very pretty model...which I am sure really helps :)

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
    edited December 27, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Like the series Nik, overall #1 and #4 stand out for me.

Again very pretty model...which I am sure really helps :)

Cheers

Dave
    Thanks, Dave!thumb.gif
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    2 and 4 are my favorites, but they're all great!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Two and four for me, too. Those two are the best of those here. You obviously had a fantastic shoot.

You never disappoint, Nikolai! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited December 27, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    2 and 4 are my favorites, but they're all great!
    Thank you, appreciate your time! thumb.gif
    edited December 27, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Two and four for me, too. Those two are the best of those here. You obviously had a fantastic shoot.

You never disappoint, Nikolai! thumb.gif
    Lee,
    thank you! thumb.gif I'm still learning, but at least it looks like I'm getting somewhere :-) mwink.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lee,
    thank you! thumb.gif I'm still learning, but at least it looks like I'm getting somewhere :-) mwink.gif

And fast, too, Nokolai! Every time I think you've reach a pinnacle in your studio work, you just come back with your newest shoot and go even higher; get even better.

I truly enjoy seeing your work. You're inspiring me to find some space to shoot peopel in the studio, again.

Keep up the good work! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited December 27, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    And fast, too, Nokolai! Every time I think you've reach a pinnacle in your studio work, you just come back with your newest shoot and go even higher; get even better.

I truly enjoy seeing your work. You're inspiring me to find some space to shoot peopel in the studio, again.

Keep up the good work! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Yeah, I agree: space and lights make a HUGE (if not all the) difference. And, unfortunately, neither come cheap or easy :-(
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    i am just admiring and seeing the contact lens. I am curious if you can blur them so they don't look so geometric and perhaps more organic and rounded.

Also I was thinking that the cloth gathers at her feet in #1 could be softened, but not sure if that would look better.

I do think I am going to have to go out back and bury my camera now.... :D
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited December 28, 2008
    i am just admiring and seeing the contact lens. I am curious if you can blur them so they don't look so geometric and perhaps more organic and rounded.

Also I was thinking that the cloth gathers at her feet in #1 could be softened, but not sure if that would look better.

I do think I am going to have to go out back and bury my camera now.... :D

I didn't even realize there was the contacts until it was showed in my face:-) And after that I was to lazy to reprocess them all:-)rolleyes1.gif I I'm paying more attention to those little buggers now that I know how they look like.

Cloth...Tough call... I's love to have a hard floor and a paper, but it's not gonna happen any time soon. I'm straightening it from time to time, though:-)

Thanks for commenting! thumb.gif