attempt to make younger

CkPhotoCkPhoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited December 27, 2008 in People
here is my first attempt to remove some wrinkles.. I didn't do anything fancy.. I think I just used the healing brush.. before and after shot.

Comments

• CkPhotoCkPhoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    The after
    The new and improved Donnie
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Great touch, it's definetely few years younger. Im still learning myself on photo retouching.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Definitely younger, but IMO a bit too much (although I admit that I tend to err on the side of less rather than more, so ymmv, just my opinion, take with grain of salt etc etc etc)

Have you tried using the patching tool? I had good luck with that when I was playing around with this recently on my first batch of self portraits - i have horrible hereditary dark circles under my eyes, but I don't like it to look too unnatural, so I played around with different things to try and find a compromise I liked. I used the patching tool on a second layer, and then adjusted the opacity of the layer so that more of the original facial texture shone through; it masked things enough that it looked way better, but kept some of the "character" lines and contours as well.

As I say, take with large grain of salt - I'm no expert, but just learning myself!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nice looking subject!!

You did a nice job on your subject.

I do agree with Divamum that a bit too much was erased, especially around the eyes, though I would not have noticed without having seen the original.

I always use the healing brush, patch tool or clone stamp on a separate layer.

I do one set of fixes for everything that I want to disappear (temporary "spots," for example) then, if I am happy with that, I merge the layers.

I use a new layer for fixes that I think I may want to dial back in a bit. Smile lines, area around the eyes - the sorts of features that give faces their character. I remove them entirely on the layer then lower the layer's opacity in order to show enough of the original features to keep the character of the subject. I use a separate layer for each area of the face because the amount of the original I want to show varies with the feature (bags under the eyes versus deep smile lines, for example).

Hope I am making sense and that this helps.

Virginia

Email
  • CkPhotoCkPhoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    thank you! this is my wifes uncle... I wake up this morning to realize you're so right! thanks!
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Works well! :ivar