Options

Advice for buying my 1st dslr

TA-2DTA-2D Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited December 27, 2008 in Cameras
Hi im considering buying a dslr, i own a fuji z5fd digital compact camera and im sick of getting "noise" in my photos when shooting inside. Ive read a little about dslr cameras and understand that something to do with the processor in these can help reduce "noise" and help produce sharper and better images, sorry for my lack of knowledge if im wrong in what im saying. Ive got a budget of £300 and really dont know where to start and would love some advice from you folks on dgrin.

The cameras ive seen that appear to be good starter ones are the Nikon D40 and D60. The D40 is selling locally for £225 but it has only 6 mp ( most of my images i print out at 6x4 or 10x8 so im thinking 6 mega pixels would be ok for this) or do i spend a little extra and go for the D60 with 10 mp(£309)

Im not sure what features are "essential" although id like a camera with auto focus as im still new to photographymp and im not sure if these camera have that feature or if its a common feature with dslr cameras? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Feature wise, I can't come to a clear winner. Compared to the D40, the D60 has:
  • 10 megapixel sensor vs. 6
  • Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
  • Flash sync 1/250 vs. 1/500 sec
  • Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
  • Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)
  • EXPEED processing
  • Image sensor cleaning system with Airflow control system
  • Automatically rotating user interface (for using camera vertically orientated)
  • Stop motion movie function
  • Eye sensor
  • Electronic 'rangefinder' for manual focus
  • Active D-Lighting with dedicated button
  • In-camera Raw processing
  • New JPEG retouch effect

Comments

• Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    I haven't played with the D60, but I do know the D40 makes great looking images and if you are printing at those sizes it will be more than sufficient.

I hadn't seriously considered buying a DSLR for a long time, but about a year ago I picked up a D40 just for the fun of it and started snapping some pictures to see how it looked and I was amazed at the difference from a compact digi cam. This is what initially sparked my interest into eventually buying my first DSLR.

I didn't end up buying the D40 myself because I plan to sell canvas gallery wraps and large prints and I want lots of detail. So I went for a more higher end camera.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    jo_cjo_c Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 26, 2008
    Hi
    I went for the D40 over the D60 as a starter camera. Money was very limited and I didn't think the extra features really justified the extra £85. Decided I would be better off spending that money on a extra 50mm lens.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    opinion
    For 300 pounds I wouldn't be thinking about dslr just yet. Maybe a high end compact would be better - Canon G10 maybe, although that is perhaps above budget even, with the pound where it is today.

Some of the stuff you are looking for is strictly for the pros - difference between 100 and 200 iso for example, and capture speeds.

Otherwise take a look at the second hand market from a good dealer. Perhaps you can find something with a good lens.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    afterthought
    Afterthought. Maybe on a limited budget, an external flash might get you better results indoors.
    For 300 pounds I wouldn't be thinking about dslr just yet. Maybe a high end compact would be better - Canon G10 maybe, although that is perhaps above budget even, with the pound where it is today.

Some of the stuff you are looking for is strictly for the pros - difference between 100 and 200 iso for example, and capture speeds.

Otherwise take a look at the second hand market from a good dealer. Perhaps you can find something with a good lens.
  • Options
    TA-2DTA-2D Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, im swaying towards the d40 after reading more into it and think ill buy a Nikon SB400 flash to help with indoor shots.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    If you aren't going to print bigger than 8x10, then I'd think 6MP is enough and the 6MP may actually have less noise than the 10MP sensor in the D60.

If your main concern is low light/high ISO indoor noise the lowest ISO may not be a concern. IIRC, I think the ISO 100 on the D60 may be a processing trick and not a real base ISO.

Auto ISO may be a nice feature to prevent camera shake from low shutter speed.

Not sure if exceed processing is that big of a deal though.

I recall seeing the Active D-lighting making some difference though.

If you don't plan on shooting RAW or plan on shooting JPEG and not doing much processing, the in camera corrections may be helpful.

The dust reduction system is nice to have as well.

If money is a concern though, I'd go with the D40. If you can afford the D60, it may be a bit nicer though.

Having said all that, I'd also recommend the Canon 1000D, it's a newer body with probably less noise due to it's CMOS sensor. It also comes with an excellent kit lens with Image stabilization and dust removal system as well.