Options

Layer masks in portrait retouching

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in Finishing School
Question for you Gina (or anybody else who knows):

When you are using multiple layers for isolated areas, how do you stack them so that they don't wind up blocking out the work on other layers? For instance, if the top layer is eyes, and the bottom layer lips, if lips then goes to the top, I can't see the work on the eyes and vice versa. I'm obviously missing something basic here, but it was frustrating me like crazy the other day!

Thanks in advance (and hopefully this isn't straying too far from the OP's original thread...)
Flyinggina wrote:
Nice looking subject!!

You did a nice job on your subject.

I do agree with Divamum that a bit too much was erased, especially around the eyes, though I would not have noticed without having seen the original.

I always use the healing brush, patch tool or clone stamp on a separate layer.

I do one set of fixes for everything that I want to disappear (temporary "spots," for example) then, if I am happy with that, I merge the layers.

I use a new layer for fixes that I think I may want to dial back in a bit. Smile lines, area around the eyes - the sorts of features that give faces their character. I remove them entirely on the layer then lower the layer's opacity in order to show enough of the original features to keep the character of the subject. I use a separate layer for each area of the face because the amount of the original I want to show varies with the feature (bags under the eyes versus deep smile lines, for example).

Hope I am making sense and that this helps.

Virginia

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Question for you Gina (or anybody else who knows):

When you are using multiple layers for isolated areas, how do you stack them so that they don't wind up blocking out the work on other layers? For instance, if the top layer is eyes, and the bottom layer lips, if lips then goes to the top, I can't see the work on the eyes and vice versa. I'm obviously missing something basic here, but it was frustrating me like crazy the other day!

Thanks in advance (and hopefully this isn't straying too far from the OP's original thread...)

You use layer masks to block out everything but the area that layer contributes.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    You use layer masks to block out everything but the area that layer contributes.
    Gotcha. I had a feeling that might be it because yes, I am using an entire layer. Next (no doubt stupid) question: does one create the mask by using the selection tool and making that area the new layer, or is there another way I'm clueless about? I'm self taught w/CS3 so I pretty much learn by trial, error, and the occasional tutorial (by all means point me to a source for this, or move this to the finishing school forum if that's preferable to answering in this thread - don't mean to hijack, although I think this discussion may be useful to the OP too so am hoping I'm not being too much of a pain asking here :hide ... ). TIA!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Gotcha. I had a feeling that might be it because yes, I am using an entire layer. Next (no doubt stupid) question: does one create the mask by using the selection tool and making that area the new layer, or is there another way I'm clueless about? I'm self taught w/CS3 so I pretty much learn by trial, error, and the occasional tutorial (by all means point me to a source for this, or move this to the finishing school forum if that's preferable to answering in this thread - don't mean to hijack, although I think this discussion may be useful to the OP too so am hoping I'm not being too much of a pain asking here :hide ... ). TIA!
    Divamum,

I moved this to a new thread in Finishing School as it was starting to take over the original thread. Like most everything in PS, there are many ways of accomplishing the same thing. You might want to check out some of the great Photoshop Tutorials that are available on Dgrin. One of the simplest ways of starting is to duplicate a layer then paint a mask on to it with the quick mask tool. But be warned, this is a big topic--whole books have been published on the subject.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Divamum,

I moved this to a new thread in Finishing School as it was starting to take over the original thread. Like most everything in PS, there are many ways of accomplishing the same thing. You might want to check out some of the great Photoshop Tutorials that are available on Dgrin. One of the simplest ways of starting is to duplicate a layer then paint a mask on to it with the quick mask tool. But be warned, this is a big topic--whole books have been published on the subject.

No problem - and thanks for moving! I've read some of the tutorials, but somehow missed the mechanics of this one - I'll have another dig while I have time over the holiday. Thanks!
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    No problem - and thanks for moving! I've read some of the tutorials, but somehow missed the mechanics of this one - I'll have another dig while I have time over the holiday. Thanks!

You could also click on layer/mask/hide all, and paint in what you need.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...