Jeep outing.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in Sports
With offroading being my other hobby I shoot a lot of pics at our club events. Here is a write up with pics that I did on the jeepforum, where I also hangout...thought some of you might enjoy them.:D

On Saturday November 15th, 2008 the JeepsGoneWild Extreme Offroad Club held an open event at the Badlands in Attica Indiana.

418448763_Ruqpr-L.jpg

At last count we had 25 jeeps signed up to attend. I didn't get an official count, but I'm sure we didn't have less than that.

I made my way down to the park solo. Nothing like a 3 1/2 hour jeep ride alone. I arrived just before 10am...Indiana time. I hate losing an hour on the way there.

Everybody met in the lower lot. Gribbles held a drivers meeting. Igotadisneyjeep (Club President) was there, which was a surprise to most of us, as he had stated he didn't think he could attend. It was nice seeing you Mike, even though it was brief.

Right away it was decided we would break up into three groups. Gribbles asked for volunteers to scout the Orange Trail. I jumped at the chance. Redsmoke lead the way. The other two groups would tackle the Green Trail, play in the Quarry and wait to hear from us with a trail condition report.

418449633_9VtxG-L.jpg
Everyone arriving. The red jeep is mine.

418450685_XgDMr-L.jpg
Everyone saying hello, and doing introductions.

418451690_r4bio-L.jpg
The drivers meeting.

418452404_kJKCb-L.jpg
Starting to head out.

418453030_TyaGC-L.jpg
Some of the guys in Group A, on the way to the Orange Trail.

418453622_3b5ey-L.jpg
Redsmoke leads us onto the trail.

There was a lot of talk before this trip in reference to "THE HILL". Well the hill was nothing. The muck and yuck leading up to the hill was gone, filled in, so making it over was simple, not a problem.....kind of sad. The big up hill which followed "THE HILL" only caused a little grief.

418454383_UGi2b-L.jpg
I gave Strizzy123 a little crap for not making up on the first try.

418455330_YqWME-XL.jpg
Photos don't do this hill justice. This JK took it in stride.

We avoided the swamp section of the Orange Trail even though it didn't look to be as wet. Everytime I've been on the Orange Trail we climb out at what looks to be an old cement dumping spot. This time we climbed out there too...some a little more flashy than others....

418454898_DeKfk-XL.jpg
aaronc88 two wheels it.
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    418455775_ybBsi-L.jpg
    mascun aka: shaggy gets some air time.

After climbing out we didn't head back down the fire road as I have in the past, we dropped back down onto the trail...into the unknown...well for me anyway.

There were a few mud holes along the way....
    418457410_iti2b-L.jpg

418457479_tc2Dn-L.jpg

418458130_KqMcD-L.jpg

After the above mud holes there was this little hill.....uh-oh a new "THE HILL"! Anyway as you went up this little sucker there was a tree root on the passenger side which caused you to slide to the driver side, where a tree was waiting for you. Several bumped the tree, either will a bumber,
    fender or flare. A few of us...yes me included...opted not to test the tree.

418459951_PPMAq-L.jpg

418459854_4Vbn2-L.jpg
    Northsidejeepin sqeezed through, but kissed the tree with the front end...nothing major.

Of all the mud holes we saw, none was worse than this.....
    418462024_SmjNB-L.jpg
    Strizzy123 was the only one try it......and for good reason.

418462560_qfY3s-L.jpg
    It would take a little more power than this to pull him out.

418463034_XfmJ5-L.jpg
    Time for a winch.

418464117_2F7Fv-L.jpg
    As he was winched out the mud just piled up in front.

Strizzy123 made it out...even though aaronc88 and I were a bit concerned about him having an automatic. If you read my report on my last trip to The Cliffs you know why. Turns out all was fine on this day, and we all moved on.
    edited December 26, 2008
    We made our way back to the fire road, but some of the guys wanted to try a rock section....

418465029_bmqfx-L.jpg

Okay, that wasn't the rock section, it was aaronc88's parking brake.

This is the begining of the rock section.....
    418465858_7wnQ4-XL.jpg

418467113_tVqPk-L.jpg

418467348_5K67t-L.jpg

418468416_gt2U5-L.jpg

418469637_4FPdT-XL.jpg

418469591_nogFH-L.jpg

A couple of the guys had to take the by pass, some of decided to skip the entire section and take a lunch break, and meet back up at the quarry.
    strizzy123 and I were the first two in the quarry so we played around a bit. There is a nice step up down by the pond.

418471072_tgph4-L.jpg
    strizzy123 steps up.

418471829_sBCRZ-L.jpg

Hackshack didn't try real hard here....didn't want to risk an axle...don't blame him.

418471901_RaFST-L.jpg

This wall was no problem though.
    edited December 26, 2008
    Turns out one of the other group members experienced a little trail damage while in the dunes.

418473120_BswNp-L.jpg
    Everyone checks out RubiRed06's new beauty mark.

418473292_fmkVe-XL.jpg
    It's just a small dent and a missing mirror.

Turns out some sand gave way sending him into what would have been a rollover if not for the tree that caught him.
    As others, from the other two groups started to meet up we decided who wanted to wheel where, split up again, and headed out. A few from group A decided to do Orange again. Four of us, myself, aaronc88, northsidejeepin decided to head out to the Blue Trail, which I had never been on befoe. Along the way we met up with strizzy123 and he joined in.
    The first and worst obstacle on Blue made me think twice...well at least twice. As aaronc88 looked for the correct line....which he claimed was there, myself and northsidejeepin were convince aaronc88 was crazy.
    You had to place the driver side tires on a rock face, which would cause the jeep to lean to the passenger side....quite a bit. This feeling was exagerated do to the fact you were right on the edge of a sharp drop off. The good news was there was a tree there waiting to catch you. From the scars on the tree it looked as if it had been happy to catch others before us.

418474277_P2LGi-L.jpg
    aaronc88 looks for the line........this ain't it.

418475716_wjr6R-L.jpg
    Here you can get a better feel for this.

Once aaronc88 made it up, it was northsidejeepin's turn.

418475347_yQwAP-L.jpg
    No problem....thanks to aaronc88 giving him a hand...lol.

Turns out aaronc88 having open diffs made it look harder than it would be for the rest of us. Northsidejeepin made it with less effort...but it still looked scary. I made it too....kind of white knuckled though...lol. I don't have a pic of myself...so I'm hoping for one.
    Strizzy123 showed up after the three of us completed this obstacle...I'll refer to it as "Cliff Hanger", so he didn't have the benefit of seeing the line first hand. Instead good spotting was used and he made it without a problem.
    We continued onto the creek to the tubes. Aaronc88 went through the left tube, strizzy123 through the right. I have some video of it that I'll post later. Northsidejeepin and I passed on the tubes. I've seen too many vids of people driving through them and smashing the crap out of their rears as they fall out. Turns out the drop off wasn't that bad...but there was some banging and scraping.
    We ran the creek until we ran out of trail markers, turned around and headed back to the tubes. Strizzy123 had found a coil spring in the quarry ealier and finally got word who it belonged to so he headed off to return it. Northsidejeepin decided to call it a day and headed home. Aaronc88 and I decided to go back up the creek and continue on to Kevin's trail. Along the way we passed a hunter carrying a rifle....we were like WTF! I mean really even if you were tracking a deer you would think you wouldn't walk into the park with a rifle on your shoulder.

418476766_TFzhF-L.jpg
    We met another group on Kevin's Trail and let them through.

After Kevins Trail we met up with some others in the quarry.

418477438_cwLHn-L.jpg
    Redsmoke decided this wall looked like a good challenge.

418477971_NCyWk-L.jpg
    After a few attempts and a few wheelies, it was decided some help was needed.

418479386_H8zLs-XL.jpg
    A little exagerated angle here (by me)....for drama!

Everytime Redsmoke made it to the crest his jeep made some terrible sounds. Turns out the spider gears in the D35 were chewing themselves to pieces. I think he would have made this climb otherwise.
    After this we did a little more playing around, but time was almost up, so we headed back to the upper lot to air up, hook up and load up...for the trip home.

418450125_umnbw-L.jpg
    I'm on my way home sweet home....behind aaronc88.

It was pretty good day. Not many other jeeps, not too many quads running around. No snow, no rain...despite the weathermans predictions.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Wonderful ! must be great experience. Loved the group photo with only Dog facing the camera :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Great shot, what a wuss rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Loved the picture of the Rottie also
    ed

418479386_H8zLs-XL.jpg
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hey Jeffro, I have not been on here for a while. Great shots and I can see the attraction to off roading 4wd style. My buddy has a new H3 and wants me to be a spotter this summer in Colorodo with him. Looks like lots of fun and work. But great opps. for photos. wings.gif
    xtnomad :wink