Options

Inconsistencies exporting in LR

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 26, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm not sure what this is about.

Sometimes I export from lightroom and the changes turn up in the image elsewhere (ie through picasa or cs3). Sometimes they don't.

These are not presets, but adjustments I made manually (I figured out that if I use a preset I need to select "export with preset", so we're good on that one :).

I'm not sure if it's something I'm *doing*, or just a weirdness; for a while, I couldn't get the exporting to work consistently at ALL, but that seems to have resolved itself now (I'd export, and the renamed image wouldn't turn up until I exported it again, at which point I would have TWO sequentially named copies :scratch)

I don't have a manual (my copy was acquired viah the college where my husband works - with their blessing, but without the documentation). I'm running it on a Vista laptop with 2g of memory - it runs fine, except for this glitch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (or suggestions of places to look for answers - I've been googling, but so far no luck)

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Remember there is always a manual under the help tab.....might I also suggest a copy of Scott Kelby's book Adobe Photoshop Lighroom 2 for Phot0graphers.....fantastic instruction......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I'm not sure what this is about.

Sometimes I export from lightroom and the changes turn up in the image elsewhere (ie through picasa or cs3). Sometimes they don't.

These are not presets, but adjustments I made manually (I figured out that if I use a preset I need to select "export with preset", so we're good on that one :).

Seems this is related to the File Settings: Format selection in the export dialog. If you set it to 'original' the exported file is just the original unmodified file with LR's edits written into metadata - the image itself remains unchanged.

You need to set the format to 'jpeg' or something other than original for the edits to be applied into the exported image.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Thanks both of you for the replies.

The mystery thickens: today, I figured out that if I named each file with a separate name (ie an ACTUAL name I typed in rather than letting it renumber the original file number, or make it xxx-1 or whatever). It worked. Well, mostly - after about 5 exports (of 35 or so) what would happen is that each time I would export a file under a new name, the previous file I had renamed would then turn up in picasa and file manager.

It's a perfectly fine workaround, but weird or what?!headscratch.gifhuh

I'll keep looking for documentation and/or a real fix (or at least a real diagnosis!) and post back if I come up with anything in case it helps anybody else in the future. Pyry, where do I find those settings you mention - I looked through preferences and everything else I could think of, but couldn't come up with an *export* handling (except in the "export" dialog box itself that pops up after you choose the export button).

Thanks again!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Pyry, where do I find those settings you mention - I looked through preferences and everything else I could think of, but couldn't come up with an *export* handling (except in the "export" dialog box itself that pops up after you choose the export button).

Thanks again!

That's the one, in the export dialog.

I can't really help you with the file handling issue - mine works as planned. Where are you saving those files? I have LR put them in a specific folder, not added back into the catalog, and I use original filenames with an optional custom text.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/